Dell G2410 monitor won't turn on sometimes

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Using a Dell G2410 monitor and sometimes it won't turn on. This is when the AC plug of the computer is disconnected from the wall when its off for more than a few seconds. Going into standby/sleep is no problem. When I leave the computer plug connected (usually I was using a powerbar switch to kill power to everything when off) the monitor seems to power on quite reliably. But when I change components on the motherboard I'm supposed to disconnect the power cable and then when I try to turn it on, no luck. If I leave it plugged in for a while (say an hour or so) it seems to power on as usual. I've tried 3 different video cards. I don't have another monitor to swap in to test right now.

Wondering if anyone knows what causes this and if there's anything I can do to wake it up when it doesn't want to come out of standby mode.

Disconnecting/reconnecting the monitor's AC cord and DVI cable seems to have no effect. Don't have a VGA cable to see if that would make a difference but I don't want to use VGA on this monitor naturally.

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Yeah the only think I could think to do would be try out another monitor and see if it behaves the same way. Then you can see whether it is the monitor or something with the computer.

However just doing some searching around the internet other people have been running into similar issues dealing with powering on/off after unplugging it, so I would expect that this is a defect with this monitor. I haven't seen a fix.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
There are a few posts but not enough for me to suspect this is a common problem with this monitor. I googled:
monitor "won't turn on"
monitor "doesn't turn on"

I should have used another phrase for "turn on". Maybe "come out of Standby" or "come out of Power Saving mode" or whatever the monitor displays before it goes to sleep.