weird problem w/cable modem on network

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Hey i've got a very strange problem w/ my network. I wanted to connect all four of the computers in my home. I have connected the two computers downstairs perfectly to each other and to the internet via a cable modem. I was going to get a wireless router to connect two other computers upstairs as i did not want to use a 300 foot cable for connecting them to the downstairs computer. I was talked out of getting a wireless and got a router that will connnect the network to my phoneline. So i connected this new router to the old one. I was able to connect both computers to the network through the phoneline but was unable to get one of themto connect to the internet, namely mine. Ive called tech support and he said that it was my internet providers DNS problem, but i called my isp and the couldn't help me, they could only provide my DNS numbers. Here is a list of the hardware:
Netgear PA301 Network Cards
Telephone line router: Netgear Pe102
Cable Modem Router: Linksys BEFSR41
My Computer: 600 MHz intel pIII
Gateway made in 1998.

Thanks for any help. Mnx4

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.

G

I have the "Linky" 4 port, and here is what to check for quickly.

-Make sure the Phone Line hub is going into the UPLINK port of the linksys router. If it is in one of the 1,2,3,or 4 ports, the DNS Server will not report the correct numbers. The uplink port is to UPLINK to another hub or router and combine them both.

-Make sure the DNS server in the linksys setup page is set to spit out more than 2 IP addresses.

-Make sure Auto IP Config is set on all network cards.

Let me know if it helps

Chris B
Webtronix PC

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Sorry baldy, i completly forgot about this post :( Anyway, i tried everything including what you said and nothing worked.. my parents hired a geek to fix the problem and heres what heppened. First off, that netgear phonline router only allows one computer on directly, and you have to get an ethernet card for the other computer and a nic card for the one that connects to the phonrlinr router.. second off, i have a boot sector virus which is not really helping the situation.. finally it was actually fixed but it took the hired nerd, an additional nerd and six hours to finally fix it. Thanx for the input though.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.

G

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router and a Linksys Cable Modem. I'm currently connecting 2 PCs. First PC is Windows2000 and second PC is Windows98. Cable modem is connecting to Windows2000 PC. Windows98 PC is connecting to port #2 on the router. If I want to use Windows98 to go online, I have to turn on Windows2000 also. Is there a way for Windows98 to go online without turning on Windows2000?

Cable modem is connected to the Win 2000 computer directly or is it connected to the router? You shouldn't have to have both computers running if you've hooked the cable modem into the router...

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

G

The cable modem is connected to Windows2000 directly via USB. Also a LAN cable from the modem goes to the WAN port on the router. I'll try to unhook the modem from the PC.

Ahhh.. there's the problem. The cable modem's LAN port must be connected to the router's WAN port and nothing else. That should clear up your problem.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

G

Ahh..I did that, but I get no internet connection. It worked the first time I hook up these guys, but don't know what went wrong.

G

Yo, is there a rule saying that I can't post multiple questions like that? Are you annoyed? Maybe you should look somewhere else. Do you own this forum? Who the hell are you?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Yo, is there a rule saying that I can't post multiple questions like that?

(This coming from someone who doesn't know how to cable a router and 2 PC's)

Actually, if you've been around any tech forum such as this one it's always been a common sense rule not to post the same question multiple times. I dare say my sentiment would be agreed with by most forum veterans. I just happened to be the one who called you on it. Like I said in my other reply, it's a waste of time of people who are helping folks out for free, with knowledge that would be rather costly in real life.

Maybe you should look somewhere else. Do you own this forum? Who the hell are you?

(Classic mark of a newbie - just lash out with the first thing that comes to mind instead of accepting criticism for the betterment of the forum. I just love it.)

Who am I? or Who I am? Who am I, well thats one for the ages. Who I am, They call me The Doc, The Doctor, Johny Two Toes, And Angelina, but that was one time when I had too much to drink. ;-0

Get it? I took a chill pill. Maybe it was a shot of Whisky! Hahahaha!!

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

If you're going to charge people for their network/computer problems then what are you doing here? You're not going to get pay. Unless you're here to gather problems/solutions that other people posted so you can charge your clients. Tell me that you've never asked for help in here before.

This coming from someone who doesn't know how to cable a router and 2 PC's)

No [-peep-] Sherlock. If I know how I wouldn't have asked for help. Did you know how to resolve network issues when you were 1 minute old?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
If you're going to charge people for their network/computer problems then what are you doing here? You're not going to get pay. Unless you're here to gather problems/solutions that other people posted so you can charge your clients. Tell me that you've never asked for help in here before.
You completely missed the point. I was trying to explain to you that you are getting free advice in here that would otherwise cost a lot of money. The only cost for this advice is to remain humble and appreciative, nothing else. I have no way of charging for the advice I give, and wouldn't want to anyway. I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything.

My only point in my original post to you was to not post your question multiply in different threads. It caused me to answer a question which had already been answered. There can be no argument that that was a complete waste of time.

How about this: Lets call off this flame war. I for one hate them, and sometimes (against my better judgement) get sucked into them. I will stop now.

And if you have any more networking questions, feel more than free to post them (singly of course ;-) here or even e-mail me and I will be happy to help to the best of my ability. OK?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

I apologize if I missed your point. I agree that argument is a waste of time and sometimes it's juvenile. If I have network question in the near future, I will post it only once. I thank you for offering your assistant. Peace!