Adapter to connect Tungsten E with Vx keyboard?

January 20, 2005 11:23:03 PM

Is there an adapter that enables one to connect a Tungsten E with an
old faithful Vx folding keyboard? The new IR keyboards seem so flimsy.

TIA
---
M Davis
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:47:43 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:23:03 +0200, Michael A Davis <davis_@sefer.org>
wrote:

>Is there an adapter that enables one to connect a Tungsten E with an
>old faithful Vx folding keyboard? The new IR keyboards seem so flimsy.
>
>TIA
>---
>M Davis

What today's palms really need is a device that you could just plug in
a PS2 keyboard, and it would communicate with the palm via IR.
PS2 keybaords are available in almost any office that has computers,
so there is no need to drag one around with you. There are even KBs
that are made out of a rubbery membrane that you could fold/roll up.

I can't imagine that the circuitry would be difficult, yet a device
like that (if it even exists) would probably cost way too much.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA
freeze@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:47:09 AM

I must admit to not being familiar with adapters for the T|E to the Vx
keyboard, but I can vouch that the new Palm Wireless Keyboard is not
flimsy and is actually very good in general use.

Here are two reviews of it:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Hands_on_with_the_Pal...
http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column030929.htm

I've been using it for some time with my Tungsten C, and I've liked it
very much. I think it's an improvement over the Vx Stowaway keyboard
that I also have for both ease of typing, placement of function keys,
quality of the driver software, and ease of setup (the Vx would
sometimes not stay in the keyboard quite right). It doesn't have quite
the "coolness factor" of the original Stowaway accordion-fold design,
but I actually think I like this form factor better as it's thinner.

I've been using Palm keyboards for a long time (you can read my reviews
of the original Stowaway and the preview release of the Flexis FX100
flexible keyboard at http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/hardware.html)

Also, regarding the suggestion to use a Palm with a PS/2 keyboard, this
is possible, although not in the exact way that the author suggests.
Look at Hynek Syrovatka's EasyType 0.09 for more information:

http://www.mujweb.cz/www/hysy/EasyType.htm

This may not work on newer Palms (I've not tried it, but I would be
surprised if it did work!) and you have to build the hardware
controller yourself. But still, it's an option! :)
January 24, 2005 3:32:56 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:47:43 -0600, Matthew Fries wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:23:03 +0200, Michael A Davis <davis_@sefer.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there an adapter that enables one to connect a Tungsten E with an
>>old faithful Vx folding keyboard? The new IR keyboards seem so flimsy.
>>
>>TIA
>>---
>>M Davis
>

> What today's palms really need is a device that you could just plug in
> a PS2 keyboard, and it would communicate with the palm via IR.
> PS2 keybaords are available in almost any office that has computers,
> so there is no need to drag one around with you. There are even KBs
> that are made out of a rubbery membrane that you could fold/roll up.
>
> I can't imagine that the circuitry would be difficult, yet a device
> like that (if it even exists) would probably cost way too much.

"Happy Hacking" made one for the Palm III units. It looked like a
cradle, but had a PS/2 port for a typical keyboard.

--
Derek

Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:45:05 PM

On 24 Jan 2005 08:47:09 -0800, Sam Lipoff wrote:

> I must admit to not being familiar with adapters for the T|E to the Vx
> keyboard, but I can vouch that the new Palm Wireless Keyboard is not
> flimsy and is actually very good in general use.

It's not flimsy. How "very good" it is in "general use" depends on
what one generally uses the keyboard for.

> Here are two reviews of it:
>
> http://www.brighthand.com/article/Hands_on_with_the_Pal...
> http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column030929.htm
>
> I've been using it for some time with my Tungsten C, and I've liked it
> very much. I think it's an improvement over the Vx Stowaway keyboard
> that I also have for both ease of typing, placement of function keys,
> quality of the driver software, and ease of setup (the Vx would
> sometimes not stay in the keyboard quite right). It doesn't have quite
> the "coolness factor" of the original Stowaway accordion-fold design,
> but I actually think I like this form factor better as it's thinner.

They actually improved the design of the Stowaway keyboard for the
m500 series. The support for the handheld is spring loaded. You simply
pull it out and it pops up. On the Vx, the support required something
solid underneath it to keep the handheld in position. Plus, the
Universal Connector stays in place better than the Vx connector.

The wireless keyboard is definitely thinner. They accomplished that by
taking away the number keys. For me, this is a bad move. I touch type
and prefer not to have to use key combinations to enter in numbers.

This is one of several reasons I haven't upgraded my handheld.

> I've been using Palm keyboards for a long time (you can read my reviews
> of the original Stowaway and the preview release of the Flexis FX100
> flexible keyboard at http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/hardware.html)
>
> Also, regarding the suggestion to use a Palm with a PS/2 keyboard, this
> is possible, although not in the exact way that the author suggests.
> Look at Hynek Syrovatka's EasyType 0.09 for more information:
>
> http://www.mujweb.cz/www/hysy/EasyType.htm
>
> This may not work on newer Palms (I've not tried it, but I would be
> surprised if it did work!) and you have to build the hardware
> controller yourself. But still, it's an option! :)

Tthe HappyHacking PS/2 adapter would work. And I found a review of
"The Bridge" by Midwest PCB Designs that allowed a Vx to use the
PalmIII connector on the HappyHacking cradle. Since "The Bridge" is
now available for Universal Connector handhelds, it's possible that
even a T3 could use the PS/2 adapter.

The Happy Hacking adapter is currently available on eBay for between 5
and 10 US dollars.

--
Derek

LARPing: Where the Geek community out-geeks itself.
!