JADE updates!

Just wanted to throw up a discussion on JADE... As recommended by
Thomas himself on his blog today. What features do you want to see?

Don't have alot of time to expand on this, but at one point he had
mentioned castles, siege weapons and the possibility of multiplayer.
Those three combined makes my imagination go wild, I am greatly looking
forward to these possible additions. I hope the first public version of
JADE is released Q1 2005!

rootisreal@gmail.com wrote in

> Just wanted to throw up a discussion on JADE... As recommended by
> Thomas himself on his blog today. What features do you want to see?

Yay! Judging by the discussion of brain swapping with monsters it seems
like one of my minor irritations with ADOM will be gone in JADE: that NPC
orcs can see in the dark, but PC orcs can't.

twig

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

rootisreal@gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to throw up a discussion on JADE... As recommended by
> Thomas himself on his blog today. What features do you want to see?
>
> Don't have alot of time to expand on this, but at one point he had
> mentioned castles, siege weapons and the possibility of multiplayer.
> Those three combined makes my imagination go wild, I am greatly looking
> forward to these possible additions. I hope the first public version of
> JADE is released Q1 2005!

I'm looking forward to seeing character's actions influencing remote
areas. So, to take an ADOM example, if I kill the healer in the village
dungeon, other healers in other towns will be less inclined to be
friendly towards me. If I remember correctly, this was one of the things
that was planned for JADE but too complex to implement in ADOM.

Good stuff. I've been checking the website every day :)

Cheers,
Twig.

rootisreal@gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to throw up a discussion on JADE... As recommended by
> Thomas himself on his blog today. What features do you want to see?
>
> Don't have alot of time to expand on this, but at one point he had
> mentioned castles, siege weapons and the possibility of multiplayer.
> Those three combined makes my imagination go wild, I am greatly looking
> forward to these possible additions. I hope the first public version of
> JADE is released Q1 2005!

I have a lot to request, really. I will say that one of my biggest
draws to RPGs is in character development and story. I greatly enjoy
games that do well in one though I typically dislike games that only do
fair or worse in both. Part of character development, from my
viewpoint, is in both being able to learn anything and in infinite
advancement. ADOM is fairly good in that even though the level cap of
50 is possible to hit, there are many ways to advance a character beyond
that. Stat training, training with weapon skills, improving spell
effectiveness, ect. Let's just say I'm obsessive compulsive. :)

Another big draw is in either a huge world to explore or a dynamic
world. I love to explore, especially when danger is nipping at my
heels. ADOM doesn't necessarily have a dynamic world, but it does have
a huge one with plenty of variations to keep someone on their toes.

So how can Jade improve over ADOM? Well, I would enjoy a more
skill-based system, personally. Not skills like in the way ADOM-skills
are handled so much as skills like weaponskills. Also would be better
developed towns. I thought it kinda silly that most items of generic
adventurers' equipment are so hard to find, particularly torches and the
equipment needed to light them. I'd like to see more "general stores"
that stock everything you'd find in, say, D&D 3.5's equipment table.

I'm not too picky about multiplayer, but if it is included I would like
to see some kid of mild "bot"-like behavior included. That is, if a
player misses a turn or some other queue their character will react in a
way that makes sense rather than simply do nothing. An example is a
player getting in up to use the restroom and the character getting
attacked by a wandering kobold. I'd be curious if the multiplayer would
be MMORPG-like or not, and by MMORPG-like I mean one server where
players come and go as opposed to one player hosting and everyone
joining in a private session. This would change dynamics (and
expectactions) by quite a bit.

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

<rootisreal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wanted to throw up a discussion on JADE... As recommended by
> Thomas himself on his blog today. What features do you want to see?
>
> Don't have alot of time to expand on this, but at one point he had
> mentioned castles, siege weapons and the possibility of multiplayer.
> Those three combined makes my imagination go wild, I am greatly looking
> forward to these possible additions. I hope the first public version of
> JADE is released Q1 2005!

A super comfortable, easily configurable, sane UI.

There you go. Two years worth of dedicated dev work in a sentence!

Personally i would love to see some special classes like ones that you
have to combine others to get ie Ninja is a fighter/rogue or Savage is
a barbarian/monk.

Maybe you have to find a special village with a special trainer to get
foo special class.

Something like that