MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Greetings.

It had to happen sooner or later. I finally got a
wish-engine running. While the game will be a cakewalk
from now on I would like to be an archmage. Call me
shallow, but it just seems a bit cool.

The thing is I have been continously wishing for
spellbooks for 7 days in game and 2 days in RL and quite
literally generated tens of thousands of spellbooks. But
no Spellbook of Wish. Quite annoying and before I get more
blisters on my fingers from all that wishing I'd like to
get a bit of overview on what the probability actually is
and if there is something I can do to stimulate it.

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

UZI wrote:
> W artykule:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> It had to happen sooner or later. I finally got a
>> wish-engine running. While the game will be a cakewalk
>> from now on I would like to be an archmage. Call me
>> shallow, but it just seems a bit cool.
>
> But HOW it works? As I remember, each cast of Wish
> drains your stats. So how you manage to neutralize that?

The engine I am running now is a ring engine that builds
on the principle that you can get more blessed PoX out of
19 wishes than it takes (on average) to polypile it back
to 19 wishes again. Very timeconsuming.

Since you can wish for power and otherwise wear the Mana
Orb (+10 Ma), the TotRR (+24 Ma), a pedant (up to +6 Ma)
and two rings of GA (up to +4 Ma on each) you can have a
quite substantial Ma (app. 50) even though your score is
technically 1. Also there are armors of power to add to
the PP score. You can always wish for PoGA to restore the
scores after your wish-fest. Not sure if this is precisely
how it works, but that is how I intend to run it.

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Piotr Figiel wrote:
> On 2004-12-23, maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
>
>> The engine I am running now is a ring engine that
>> builds on the principle that you can get more blessed
>> PoX out of 19 wishes than it takes (on average) to
>> polypile it back to 19 wishes again. Very
>> timeconsuming.
>
> Isn't it true that propability of creating certain item
> depends of how many times it was created before? If it's
> true, I think you can't get infinite wishes with this
> technique. I don't know the exact equation for
> probability but I've been trying this and got bored
> after getting ~40 rings, after that I tried many times
> and haven't succeed in creating more RoDS.

My engine is running with 150 RoDS and between 100 and 500
potions of exchange. The longest dipping sequence was 162
dips to convert 19 rings. It does not seem to decrease or
increase at any noticible frequency and I have spend at
least a thousand wishes so far (mostly on spellbooks,
though I have stats at 99 and all skills at 100). The
longest sequence to convert 6 piles is a little more than
300 dips and it is not the instance above (the next 5 came
very quickly afterwards on that occation).

It is not a 100% failsafe engine. Just very robust. Which
is why I want that spellbook.

> The List:
> Spellbook Chan Diff Prob
> Wish 1 3000 0.03%
> Create Item 4 250 0.13%
> Petrification 4 120 0.13%
> Greater Identify 4 100 0.13%
> Earthquake 4 80 0.13%
> Identify 4 75 0.13%
> Heal 4 40 0.13%
> Death Ray 20 100 0.65%
> Mystic Shovel 20 100 0.65%
> Summon Monsters 20 30 0.65%
> Improved Fireball 20 30 0.65%
> Cure Critical Wound 20 15 0.65%
> Cure Serious Wounds 20 10 0.65%
> Destroy Undead 20 8 0.65%
> Remove Curse 40 50 1.31%
> Magic Map 40 40 1.31%
> Acid Ball 40 35 1.31%
> Revalation 40 33 1.31%
> Lightning Ball 40 30 1.31%
> Ice Ball 40 25 1.31%
> Fireball 40 20 1.31%
> Farsight 40 17 1.31%
> Acid Bolt 40 15 1.31%
> Scare Monster 40 12 1.31%
> Disarm Trap 40 10 1.31%
> Neutralize Poison 40 10 1.31%
> Know Alignment 40 10 1.31%
> Bless 40 8 1.31%
> Cure Disease 40 8 1.31%
> Teleportation 100 22 3.26%
> Strength of Atlas 100 15 3.26%
> Lightning Bolt 100 12 3.26%
> Frost Bolt 100 12 3.26%
> Web 100 12 3.26%
> Invisibility 100 10 3.26%
> Fire Bolt 100 10 3.26%
> Calm Monster 100 8 3.26%
> Magic Lock 100 8 3.26%
> Stun Ray 100 8 3.26%
> Burning Hands 100 8 3.26%
> Slow Poison 100 6 3.26%
> Cure Light Wounds 100 5 3.26%
> Knock 200 12 6.53%
> Slow Monster 200 7 6.53%
> Darkness 300 4 9.79%
> Light 300 3 9.79%
>
> Prob shows the overall chances of getting that spell whenever a
> spellbook is generated (except for special cases like the library, of
> course). Diff(iculty) shows the value that is factored in when trying
> learn the spell.

Is this the same for Wizard-type casters vs. Priest-style? I played a
Priest who got many of the non-offensive spells (Revelation,
Earthquake, Cure [x] Wounds, etc.) while not getting a single ball
spell (even the rift doesn't carry ball spells for Priests). I also
got 6-8 books of Dispel Undead, which are apparently rarer than ball
spells.

I know that it's a random generation of books, so it could be just poor
luck, but priest-style casters seem to get more healing/non-offensive
spells, while wizard-style casters get more of the offensive magics,
from what I've experienced

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Twinge wrote:
> Spoily.
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
>> maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote

>>> The engine I am running now is a ring engine that
>>> builds on the principle that you can get more blessed
>>> PoX out of 19 wishes than it takes (on average) to
>>> polypile it back to 19 wishes again. Very
>>> timeconsuming.
>>>

> Might try automating some of it with ADOMBot or such. I
> made a script to keep exchanging until I got Djinn
> anyway, and you can make it more advanced than that.
> (Although, scripting in the latest version is fairly
> broken Vlad said ;O)

Playing 1.0 == no bots for me. However I can send a
character sequence to the xterm (eg. !v=bb[Enter], to dip
the second ring stack (the used rings) in the second
potion stack and pick them up by a simple key press. Still
a lot of tapping and concentration - you have to watch
every dip. Also I have for wishing for spells and
exchange. I had been working for ten straight hours before
I figured it out. Sometimes you just need to sleep :p.

Got the materials to start it (about 15 wishes and 15 PoX
as well as plenty of water, scrolls of repair and
redundant rings) by bansheeing ABDs in the BDC. This seems
to be a near guaranteed way of getting it though it does
require a firm tongue in the cheek as well as patience. It
was started a bit on the lower margin of the starting
requirements, but it wasn't something I definately had
decided to do beforehand. Nevertheless I wanted to give it
a shot and made it run.

> anxious triffid wrote:
>> Is it possible to poly spellbooks? No reason why it
>> shouldn't be, but I have never tried it myself.
>
> This would be downright painful. It would take a lot
> more effort than wishing for the spellbook or simply
> trying to keep the Djinn Engine running strong.

Indeed. The bigger the engine the better it works. Most of
all as the blessing overhead for water and PoX is lower.

> Jaakko Iisala wrote:
>> I think you cant wish for wishes atleast wands or
>> rings.
>
> Not directly. you can, however, wish for "spellbooks"
> and get random spellbooks, each of which has a chance of
> being Wish.

Precisely. However this is the most painful ADOM
experience ever. Jeez it's boring. I think I'll give it a
rest and fetch the remaining trinkets here and there.

> Piotr Figiel wrote:
>> Isn't it true that propability of creating certain item
>> depends of how many times it was created before? If
>> it's true, I think you can't get infinite wishes with
>> this technique. I don't know the exact equation for
>> probability but I've been trying this and got bored
>> after getting ~40 rings, after that I tried many times
>> and haven't succeed in creating more RoDS.
>
> False. Everything has a set creation probability and it
> doesn't change.

Not my impression either. But occationally you'll need a
huge amount for one polymorph. My record is 162 dips for
one stack. Yikes. You simply need to be confident.

> .
> .
>
> Okay. When I was looking up the chances for learning
> spells, I also found the data for the creation
> probability of each individual book. Wish is _extremely_
> rare, as is expected - though I know someone who
> actually started with a spellbook of Wish once ;)
> (HOPEFULLY this list displays correctly)
>
> The List:
> Spellbook Chan Diff Prob
> Wish 1 3000 0.03%
> Create Item 4 250 0.13%
> Petrification 4 120 0.13%
> Greater Identify 4 100 0.13%
> Earthquake 4 80 0.13%
> Identify 4 75 0.13%
> Heal 4 40 0.13%
> Death Ray 20 100 0.65%
> Mystic Shovel 20 100 0.65%
> Summon Monsters 20 30 0.65%
> Improved Fireball 20 30 0.65%
> Cure Critical Wound 20 15 0.65%
> Cure Serious Wounds 20 10 0.65%
> Destroy Undead 20 8 0.65%
> Remove Curse 40 50 1.31%
> Magic Map 40 40 1.31%
> Acid Ball 40 35 1.31%
> Revalation 40 33 1.31%
> Lightning Ball 40 30 1.31%
> Ice Ball 40 25 1.31%
> Fireball 40 20 1.31%
> Farsight 40 17 1.31%
> Acid Bolt 40 15 1.31%
> Scare Monster 40 12 1.31%
> Disarm Trap 40 10 1.31%
> Neutralize Poison 40 10 1.31%
> Know Alignment 40 10 1.31%
> Bless 40 8 1.31%
> Cure Disease 40 8 1.31%
> Teleportation 100 22 3.26%
> Strength of Atlas 100 15 3.26%
> Lightning Bolt 100 12 3.26%
> Frost Bolt 100 12 3.26%
> Web 100 12 3.26%
> Invisibility 100 10 3.26%
> Fire Bolt 100 10 3.26%
> Calm Monster 100 8 3.26%
> Magic Lock 100 8 3.26%
> Stun Ray 100 8 3.26%
> Burning Hands 100 8 3.26%
> Slow Poison 100 6 3.26%
> Cure Light Wounds 100 5 3.26%
> Knock 200 12 6.53%
> Slow Monster 200 7 6.53%
> Darkness 300 4 9.79%
> Light 300 3 9.79%
>
> Prob shows the overall chances of getting that spell
> whenever a spellbook is generated (except for special
> cases like the library, of course). Diff(iculty) shows
> the value that is factored in when trying to learn the
> spell.
>
> So... you'll have to generate 3065 spellbooks, on
> average, to get only one spellbook of Wish. This
> translates into ~1022 Wishes, on average. So, it _will_
> take a while ;O

I am past that by a margin (I think I have rounded 2000
wishes), but it is a chance event after all. It ought to
come around sooner or later. Just need to get some
confidence and reassurance back. Also neat to know I can
stay on D8 and do the wishing.

I am playing a Sword Dark Elven Farmer (a powerful
combination once it gets started) and was able to read
Create Item several times. In fact I have not failed once
in reading now that my learning is 99 and I get
astronomical numbers of casting so I just destroy the
spellbooks. I think (big emphasis on think here) that I
might actually read the damn Wish book in a special effect
room once I get it *sigh*. I am also thinking why risk it
when ~300 blessed potions of wonder ought to solve it.
We'll see.

To Vlad:
My compliments on the creation of the ItemDex probability
calculator, however I would also like to see a polypile
probability. E.g. what is the chance of getting a fat
stack of writing kits out of a stack of keys and so forth.
And AoLS which you could (at risk and danger) use the
ancient scythe to generate. So how many potions of raw
chaos do you actually need to generate one AoLS on D2.
Apparently you can never get artifacts from
polypiling/chaos roulette so these need to be excluded.

Nichenforbrains@hotmail.com wrote:
>>The List:
>>Spellbook Chan Diff Prob
>>Wish 1 3000 0.03%
>>Create Item 4 250 0.13%
>>Petrification 4 120 0.13%
>>Greater Identify 4 100 0.13%
>>Earthquake 4 80 0.13%
>>Identify 4 75 0.13%
>>Heal 4 40 0.13%
>>Death Ray 20 100 0.65%
>>Mystic Shovel 20 100 0.65%
>>Summon Monsters 20 30 0.65%
>>Improved Fireball 20 30 0.65%
>>Cure Critical Wound 20 15 0.65%
>>Cure Serious Wounds 20 10 0.65%
>>Destroy Undead 20 8 0.65%
>>Remove Curse 40 50 1.31%
>>Magic Map 40 40 1.31%
>>Acid Ball 40 35 1.31%
>>Revalation 40 33 1.31%
>>Lightning Ball 40 30 1.31%
>>Ice Ball 40 25 1.31%
>>Fireball 40 20 1.31%
>>Farsight 40 17 1.31%
>>Acid Bolt 40 15 1.31%
>>Scare Monster 40 12 1.31%
>>Disarm Trap 40 10 1.31%
>>Neutralize Poison 40 10 1.31%
>>Know Alignment 40 10 1.31%
>>Bless 40 8 1.31%
>>Cure Disease 40 8 1.31%
>>Teleportation 100 22 3.26%
>>Strength of Atlas 100 15 3.26%
>>Lightning Bolt 100 12 3.26%
>>Frost Bolt 100 12 3.26%
>>Web 100 12 3.26%
>>Invisibility 100 10 3.26%
>>Fire Bolt 100 10 3.26%
>>Calm Monster 100 8 3.26%
>>Magic Lock 100 8 3.26%
>>Stun Ray 100 8 3.26%
>>Burning Hands 100 8 3.26%
>>Slow Poison 100 6 3.26%
>>Cure Light Wounds 100 5 3.26%
>>Knock 200 12 6.53%
>>Slow Monster 200 7 6.53%
>>Darkness 300 4 9.79%
>>Light 300 3 9.79%
>>
>> Prob shows the overall chances of getting that spell whenever a
>> spellbook is generated (except for special cases like the library,
>> of course). Diff(iculty) shows the value that is factored in when
>> trying to learn the spell.
>

> Is this the same for Wizard-type casters vs. Priest-style? I played
> a Priest who got many of the non-offensive spells (Revelation,
> Earthquake, Cure [x] Wounds, etc.) while not getting a single ball
> spell (even the rift doesn't carry ball spells for Priests). I also
> got 6-8 books of Dispel Undead, which are apparently rarer than ball
> spells.
>
> I know that it's a random generation of books, so it could be just
> poor luck, but priest-style casters seem to get more
> healing/non-offensive spells, while wizard-style casters get more of
> the offensive magics, from what I've experienced

It would make sense, but I haven't seen anything like that in the code
at all - this doesn't mean it's not there though, it might be hiding ;)

maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
> [...]
> fact I have not failed once in reading now that my learning is 99 and
> I get astronomical numbers of casting so I just destroy the
> spellbooks. I think (big emphasis on think here) that I might
> actually read the damn Wish book in a special effect room once I get
> it *sigh*. I am also thinking why risk it when ~300 blessed potions
> of wonder ought to solve it. We'll see.
>
> To Vlad: My compliments on the creation of the ItemDex probability
> calculator, however I would also like to see a polypile probability.
> E.g. what is the chance of getting a fat stack of writing kits out of
> a stack of keys and so forth. And AoLS which you could (at risk and
> danger) use the ancient scythe to generate. So how many potions of
> raw chaos do you actually need to generate one AoLS on D2. Apparently
> you can never get artifacts from polypiling/chaos roulette so these

This also depends if you're using exchange or raw chaos. There are
several fundamental differances. Raw chaos can only create one item,
while exchange works like normal dipping (19 rings, 9 scrolls, etc.).
When using exchange you'll never create the same thing you already had,
and that's where, of course, the improved chances come into play. With
Raw Chaos, you still can't create what you already have -- except that
with raw chaos, if you would have created what you already have, it
instead explodes. (So with raw chaos, it's actually better to start with
rare items as the base - at least, this is what I've infered from the
code, and it seems correct.)

I never thought to investigate writing sets, but I did run the numbers
for lifesaving and SLB. You have a 1.08% chance (about 93 tries on
average) to pull a AoLS on D:2. Not good odds; you'll explode it about 6
times before you get the amulet. SLB odds are a bit better: 3.25% chance
on D:3. You'll probably only explode 3-4 times before you pull a pair of
those, hehe.

Because Raw Chaos' explosion chances are higher for common items, it
might be best to use multiple items to start with instead of just
re-using whatever it turns into. This will d3ecrease the explosions a
fair bit, especially for SLB (Don't use Light or Leather Boots).

In general, the odds are pretty poor at best. Exchange will give you
both higher odds (goes up to over 5% for SLB when using light or leather
boots) and less danger, but can't be mass produced. If Vlad added this
info, he'd still need 2 seperate percentages; one for raw chaos and one
for exchange. It probably wouldn't be too particularily difficult to
implement, it would just give the odds based on the total for each item
group - artifacts, essentially (and exchange would subtract the selected
item's probability as well). Not something that many people would get a
lot of use out of, though ;)

(I'll need to rin some more in-game tests to verify that raw chaos'
explosion chance is, in fact, the creation probabilty of whatever is
dipped. It seems to flow with the inconsisent percentages between
different items I had been getting before I saw that in the code, though.)

Looks like Vlad's Re-wrapper is working out well for you. 60 lines might
be a bit overkill but it works, at any rate =) I've been using the
re-wrap option in thunderbird in my messages every time now, so
hopefully they're displaying correctly for Wanderer :p

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

W artykule <1103821664.427037.151380@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> maddog@dsr.kvl.dk napisa³(a):

--
'Uzi, po prostu Uzi' [tm] -- eMBe
Nowy magiczny wzor: pi = ln( (-1)^i )

On 2004-12-23, UZI wrote:

spoiler space...

>> It had to happen sooner or later. I finally got a
>> wish-engine running. While the game will be a cakewalk
>> from now on I would like to be an archmage. Call me
>> shallow, but it just seems a bit cool.
> But HOW it works? As I remember, each cast of Wish drains your stats.
> So how you manage to neutralize that?

You need to have enough PP to cast wish with all stats to 1 except Mana.
You can get high mana stat with potions of boost mana (wish can't drain
that temporary value) and with proper equipment. Good sources of PP are:
mana battery corruption, armours of power, birth starsign, etc. For more
details check rgra archives and edited flags at hall of fame, I've done
that before my archmage victory (which I described briefly in latest
YAVP here).

Good luck,

--
Piotr Figiel
http://psychodelic.org/~feeg

On 2004-12-23, maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:

> My engine is running with 150 RoDS and between 100 and 500
> potions of exchange. The longest dipping sequence was 162
> dips to convert 19 rings. It does not seem to decrease or
> increase at any noticible frequency and I have spend at
> least a thousand wishes so far (mostly on spellbooks,
> though I have stats at 99 and all skills at 100). The
> longest sequence to convert 6 piles is a little more than
> 300 dips and it is not the instance above (the next 5 came
> very quickly afterwards on that occation).

That's interesting. With how many !oX have you started with?

> It is not a 100% failsafe engine. Just very robust. Which
> is why I want that spellbook.

Is it possible to get it in another way than from the library? I've been
playing adom for years and never found sb of Wish elsewhere.

Greetings,

--
Piotr Figiel
http://psychodelic.org/~feeg

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:08:59 +0000, Piotr Figiel wrote:

> On 2004-12-23, maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
>
>> My engine is running with 150 RoDS and between 100 and 500 potions of
>> exchange. The longest dipping sequence was 162 dips to convert 19 rings.
>> It does not seem to decrease or increase at any noticible frequency and
>> I have spend at least a thousand wishes so far (mostly on spellbooks,
>> though I have stats at 99 and all skills at 100). The longest sequence
>> to convert 6 piles is a little more than 300 dips and it is not the
>> instance above (the next 5 came very quickly afterwards on that
>> occation).
>
> That's interesting. With how many !oX have you started with?
>
>> It is not a 100% failsafe engine. Just very robust. Which is why I want
>> that spellbook.
>
> Is it possible to get it in another way than from the library? I've been
> playing adom for years and never found sb of Wish elsewhere.

I got one in the ID.

maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote in

> UZI wrote:
>> W artykule:
>>> Greetings.
>>>
>>> It had to happen sooner or later. I finally got a
>>> wish-engine running. While the game will be a cakewalk
>>> from now on I would like to be an archmage. Call me
>>> shallow, but it just seems a bit cool.
>>
>> But HOW it works? As I remember, each cast of Wish
>> drains your stats. So how you manage to neutralize that?
>>
> The engine I am running now is a ring engine that builds
> on the principle that you can get more blessed PoX out of
> 19 wishes than it takes (on average) to polypile it back
> to 19 wishes again. Very timeconsuming.

Is it possible to poly spellbooks? No reason why it shouldn't be, but I
have never tried it myself.

Spoily.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Piotr Figiel wrote:
> Isn't it true that propability of creating certain item depends of
> how many times it was created before? If it's true, I think you can't
> get infinite wishes with this technique. I don't know the exact
> equation for probability but I've been trying this and got bored
> after getting ~40 rings, after that I tried many times and haven't
> succeed in creating more RoDS.

False. Everything has a set creation probability and it doesn't change.

..
..

Okay. When I was looking up the chances for learning spells, I also
found the data for the creation probability of each individual book.
Wish is _extremely_ rare, as is expected - though I know someone who
actually started with a spellbook of Wish once ;)
(HOPEFULLY this list displays correctly)

The List:
Spellbook Chan Diff Prob
Wish 1 3000 0.03%
Create Item 4 250 0.13%
Petrification 4 120 0.13%
Greater Identify 4 100 0.13%
Earthquake 4 80 0.13%
Identify 4 75 0.13%
Heal 4 40 0.13%
Death Ray 20 100 0.65%
Mystic Shovel 20 100 0.65%
Summon Monsters 20 30 0.65%
Improved Fireball 20 30 0.65%
Cure Critical Wound 20 15 0.65%
Cure Serious Wounds 20 10 0.65%
Destroy Undead 20 8 0.65%
Remove Curse 40 50 1.31%
Magic Map 40 40 1.31%
Acid Ball 40 35 1.31%
Revalation 40 33 1.31%
Lightning Ball 40 30 1.31%
Ice Ball 40 25 1.31%
Fireball 40 20 1.31%
Farsight 40 17 1.31%
Acid Bolt 40 15 1.31%
Scare Monster 40 12 1.31%
Disarm Trap 40 10 1.31%
Neutralize Poison 40 10 1.31%
Know Alignment 40 10 1.31%
Bless 40 8 1.31%
Cure Disease 40 8 1.31%
Teleportation 100 22 3.26%
Strength of Atlas 100 15 3.26%
Lightning Bolt 100 12 3.26%
Frost Bolt 100 12 3.26%
Web 100 12 3.26%
Invisibility 100 10 3.26%
Fire Bolt 100 10 3.26%
Calm Monster 100 8 3.26%
Magic Lock 100 8 3.26%
Stun Ray 100 8 3.26%
Burning Hands 100 8 3.26%
Slow Poison 100 6 3.26%
Cure Light Wounds 100 5 3.26%
Knock 200 12 6.53%
Slow Monster 200 7 6.53%
Darkness 300 4 9.79%
Light 300 3 9.79%

Prob shows the overall chances of getting that spell whenever a
spellbook is generated (except for special cases like the library, of
course). Diff(iculty) shows the value that is factored in when trying to

anxious triffid <anxioustriffid@infearofspamfserve.co.uk> wrote:
> maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote in

>> UZI wrote:
>>> W artykule:

>>> But HOW it works? As I remember, each cast of Wish
>>> drains your stats. So how you manage to neutralize that?
>>>
>> The engine I am running now is a ring engine that builds
>> on the principle that you can get more blessed PoX out of
>> 19 wishes than it takes (on average) to polypile it back
>> to 19 wishes again. Very timeconsuming.
>>

> Is it possible to poly spellbooks? No reason why it shouldn't be, but I
> have never tried it myself.

You get tracts and brittle book out of spellbooks, and vice-versa.
Two dips per spellbook to plymorph to another one.

brojek.

On 23 Dec 2004 09:07:44 -0800, <maddog@dsr.kvl.dk> wrote:

Spoilers ahead
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
> Greetings.
>
> It had to happen sooner or later. I finally got a
> wish-engine running. While the game will be a cakewalk
> from now on I would like to be an archmage. Call me
> shallow, but it just seems a bit cool.
>
> The thing is I have been continously wishing for
> spellbooks for 7 days in game and 2 days in RL and quite
> literally generated tens of thousands of spellbooks. But
> no Spellbook of Wish. Quite annoying and before I get more
> blisters on my fingers from all that wishing I'd like to
> get a bit of overview on what the probability actually is
> and if there is something I can do to stimulate it.

I think you cant wish for wishes atleast wands or rings.

--
Signatures are for them amateurs.

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

W artykule <cqf54b$nk2$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl> Piotr Figiel napisa³(a):

> On 2004-12-23, maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
>
>> My engine is running with 150 RoDS and between 100 and 500
>> potions of exchange. The longest dipping sequence was 162
>> dips to convert 19 rings. It does not seem to decrease or
>> increase at any noticible frequency and I have spend at
>> least a thousand wishes so far (mostly on spellbooks,
>> though I have stats at 99 and all skills at 100). The
>> longest sequence to convert 6 piles is a little more than
>> 300 dips and it is not the instance above (the next 5 came
>> very quickly afterwards on that occation).
>
> That's interesting. With how many !oX have you started with?
>
>> It is not a 100% failsafe engine. Just very robust. Which
>> is why I want that spellbook.
>
> Is it possible to get it in another way than from the library? I've been
> playing adom for years and never found sb of Wish elsewhere.

Well, once I found one, in very early game.
It was probably in 1.0.0.

Never found one in later gammas...

--
'Uzi, po prostu Uzi' [tm] -- eMBe
Nowy magiczny wzor: pi = ln( (-1)^i )

maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
> Twinge wrote:
>
>>Spoily.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>
>>Wish 1 3000 0.03%
>>
>> Prob shows the overall chances of getting that spell whenever a
>> spellbook is generated (except for special cases like the library,
>> of course). Diff(iculty) shows the value that is factored in when
>> trying to learn the spell.
>>
>> So... you'll have to generate 3065 spellbooks, on average, to get
>> only one spellbook of Wish. This translates into ~1022 Wishes, on
>> average. So, it _will_ take a while ;O
>>

> I am past that by a margin (I think I have rounded 2000 wishes), but
> it is a chance event after all. It ought to come around sooner or
> later. Just need to get some confidence and reassurance back. Also
> neat to know I can stay on D8 and do the wishing.

Hmm, I found something else which could possibly affect this. There
appears to be a check against Piety of all things. It compares the
item's value to your piety, and potentially changes the spellbook you
get if the piety isn't high enough. To clarify, this is ONLY when
*wishing* for the spellbooks. I'm not sure of the specifics (mainly I
don't want to try to decipher it since it's not very important for most
players... but, feel free Vlad, if you want to - it's at 004BFFD0 ;)

Although... I just did a brief in game test, and even with really low
piety I was able to get pretty valuable spellbooks. Maybe it _only_
affects Wish or something? I'd imagine your piety is pretty high anyway,
but if it isn't then get to 'very close' or whatever, at least.

Hmm, I also just noticed that rewrap changes the normal 2 spaces after a
sentance into 1 ;/