JADE Development

Hi!

Just to follow up some of the questions / comments:

- Multiplayer won't happen in the foreseeable future. There are so
many issues with multiplayer roguelike gaming (as far as I am
concerned) that I don't want to waste tie right now on this issue. I
prefer to create a world that is as complex, dynamic and "real" as
possible ("real" as far as a living fantasy world is concerned ;-)

- Differences between monsters and players: Basically there are none.
An orc is an orc, whether controlled by the player or the game engine.
The range of actions taken by PCs and NPC will vary, especially at the
start, since it's quite a bit of work to teach monsters to do all the
interesting things. But this will happen over time and is something
that can be nicely evolved.

- Interesting side effect of NPCs being like PCs: All monsters will
have equipment so that you'll be going to find a lot more stuff than
in ADOM. E.g. orcs will wear something like studded leather, have a
medium shield and a spear or battle axe and other stuff in their
inventory - and those things aren't simply going to disappear when an
orc is killed.

- Shops: yes, towns will have a lot more shops with standard
equipment. Otherwise it would be pretty impossible to explore the huge
JADE worlds.

- Character development: This is my main area of interest. In the
optimal case you will be able to play a character for years (if you
want) and still be able to develop him further on. The main features
to allow for this:
* a modified open-ended gaming engine that no longer has _any_ level
caps (50 or whatever)
* skill development (again open-ended) based on levels _and_ usage
* multi-classing (so you can be a fighter/6, rogue/12, wizard/35 if
you want - and monsters can and will be such combinations, too ;-)

The new system will use a modified version of what ADOM uses for
combat - I have code-named it the d'Infinity engine for now. The basic
idea is that the game internally always rolls a modified d20 for
everything, but adds are added to the sides of the die (something only
a computer can do but IMHO is very elegant for an open-ended system).

Example:
- An average difficulty might be a value of 10 that you need to
achieve or surpass to be successful.
- If you have no bonusses at all the game will internally roll 1d20
and compare the result to 10.
- Now assume that your PC is somewhat skilled at what he is trying to
do - let's say he's got a bonus of +7. Internally the game now will
roll 1d(20+7)=1d27 for the check. And this is the nice thing: Even if
you are _very_ high-level and the game your PC has a +48 bonus, the
rolls still is 1d(20+48)=1d68 with some chance for failure. One might
think that the chance for failure is too high - but look at the heroes
in movies: hey also fail whenever it is appropriate for the director.
IMHO this keeps the game exciting. Mybe I'll twek the system a bit by
e.g. doubling the add after +20, trippling it after +40 and so on so
that the above-mentioned +48 bonus yields a 1d(20 + 1 * 20 + 2 * 20 +
3 * 8) for a total roll of 1d104 or so... we'll see.

A nice side effect of this is that difficulty values need not rise
unnessarily - the base values of say 5 (easy), 10 (average), 15
(challenging), 20 (difficult), 25 (very difficult), 30 (insanely hard)
and 40 (impossible) will suffice for quite some time. DV values also
will remain in a contained range, etc.

Just some thoughts - all this is constantly being revised ;-)

Merry Christmas,

Thomas Biskup
ADOM Maintainer
http://www.adom.de

I've got to say, all this JADE talk is quite exciting. I'm excited
because:

The features you are mentioning are all very exciting.

Actually seeing real progress being made on this is very exciting.

The real-time aspect of your new development journal keeps everyone
eagerly anticipating this game with a sense of what's going on - and if
it helps keep you motivated to keep writing, even better!

The game itself seems to be quite the feat. I think it's safe to say
that pretty much every roguelike is either a giant mass of spaghetti
code - years of added features, monsters, places, you name it - or
forks thereof. But a roguelike in a modern language designed from the
bottom up by someone who already has all the experience and design
sense from having built something as massive (and, let's face it,
superior) as ADoM? Very exciting.
Bravo, and keep us posted!

-Z. D. Smith

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

"Thomas Biskup" <thomas.biskup@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi!

[snip]
> Just some thoughts - all this is constantly being revised ;-)
>
> Merry Christmas,
>
> Thomas Biskup
> ADOM Maintainer
> http://www.adom.de

Fascinating. Out of curiosity, how far along are you in mainline story/world
development? Even if only on paper. Are you still working on technical
details and systems, or have you already hashed out a plan for the game (at
least in your head) to some degree?

Idiot

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

> Just some thoughts - all this is constantly being revised ;-)
>
> Merry Christmas,

OH MY GOD, Creator just spoken!!! ooo we bow before thee, mighy One.
forget that christmas cliche, jesus should celebrate your birthday, o
great One!
bhhbhhhhhdroool
<forgive me for my childlish behavior, but replaying to post Allmighty
Creator sent equals dying on the cross for sins of mankind>

On 23 Dec 2004 11:16:19 -0800, Thomas Biskup wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just to follow up some of the questions / comments:

[snip]

Yes, yes, great, great, but what about ADOM?

Some time ago, you wrote:
>> ... updating ADOM / JADE. The plans have changed again: Finally
>> enough money was spent to enable me to buy a shiny cool iMac (the
>> spherical one). I love it :) As a result there _must_ be a new ADOM
>> version coming and it _must_ be available for Mac users (maybe for
>> Mac OS X first - I need to learn coding for the Mac fast ;-). Or I
>> need to convince Jochen to do it - the next money being collected
>> definitely goes to Jochen ;-)
>> [snip]
>> And to say "Thank you" to everyone out there who sent money via
>> PayPal... a new ADOM version (including Mac support) is coming. I
>> promised... even if that pushes JADE back... *sigh* where's the
>> millionaire ADOmite with too much money on his/her hands ;-) ?

Also, an anonymous person once posted this:

--
AdomBot - bot, demos, sounds, cheats, and more
http://www.geocities.com/adombot/

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2004 11:16:19 -0800, Thomas Biskup wrote:
>

>> Hi!
>>
>> Just to follow up some of the questions / comments:
>
> [snip]
>
> Yes, yes, great, great, but what about ADOM?
>
> Some time ago, you wrote:
>
>>> ... updating ADOM / JADE. The plans have changed again: Finally
>>> enough money was spent to enable me to buy a shiny cool iMac (the
>>> spherical one). I love it :) As a result there _must_ be a new
>>> ADOM version coming and it _must_ be available for Mac users
>>> (maybe for Mac OS X first - I need to learn coding for the Mac
>>> fast ;-). Or I need to convince Jochen to do it - the next money
>>> being collected definitely goes to Jochen ;-) [snip] And to say
>>> "Thank you" to everyone out there who sent money via PayPal... a
>>> new ADOM version (including Mac support) is coming. I promised...
>>> even if that pushes JADE back... *sigh* where's the millionaire
>>> ADOmite with too much money on his/her hands ;-) ?
>

> Also, an anonymous person once posted this:
>
>>> I just got an e-mail from Thomas a day or two ago and he told me
>>> ADOM is NOT dead. He purchased a used mac with the donation money
>>> and hopefully there will be a new version out before the end of
>>> the year.

Indeed. As interesting as the developments for JADE are, we'd like to
see ADOM get some attention too! =)

On a related note, assuming Thomas actually reads this, is there any
better way to contact you about bug reports than the bug database? The
database gets pretty messy, and I don't know if you ever have time to go
through them all. It'd be nice for some of the more experienced players
and code divers to have some methoud of giving you information about
some of the more obscure bugs directly, such as the fact that you always
fall at least once when entering the rift ;)

Thomas Biskup wrote:

[...]
> - Character development: This is my main area of interest. In the
> optimal case you will be able to play a character for years (if you
> want) and still be able to develop him further on.

But please, please make sure that it will be possible to recover a
crashed game; maybe somewhat similar to NetHack. It is extremely
frustrating to *BLAM* lose a character you played for many days and
many hours; making backup copies of the saved game is not an option for
me.

Thumbs up, Thomas!

In this case, perhaps have ADOM autosave a file (called
autosave_*insert character name here*) every time you level up, go into
a new dungeon level, and whenever you kill 30 monsters in one dungeon
level. This autosave file would only be openable if there was a
corresponding .err file(ADOM got closed by something other than the
shift-Q command or ctrl+alt+delete)

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Thomas Biskup wrote:
> Hi!
And hello to you my master and commander.

> Just to follow up some of the questions / comments:
>
> - Multiplayer won't happen in the foreseeable future.
I salute you for that decision. To me a roguelike is a
personal and individual challenge.

> - Differences between monsters and players: Basically
> there are none. An orc is an orc, whether controlled by
> the player or the game engine. The range of actions
> taken by PCs and NPC will vary, especially at the start,
> since it's quite a bit of work to teach monsters to do
> all the interesting things. But this will happen over
> time and is something that can be nicely evolved.
That is a fab idea. It is very logical and I sincerely
think it can work in practise.

> - Interesting side effect of NPCs being like PCs: All
> monsters will have equipment so that you'll be going to
> find a lot more stuff than in ADOM. E.g. orcs will wear
> something like studded leather, have a medium shield and
> a spear or battle axe and other stuff in their inventory
> - and those things aren't simply going to disappear when
> an orc is killed.
Also workable. After all most of the items will be useless
in practise, but occationally you find something neat when
you vanquish a named or unusual foe. A good thing about
ADOM is the balance between guaranteed and random items.
As I see it this feature will only emphasize that.

> - Shops: yes, towns will have a lot more shops with
> standard equipment. Otherwise it would be pretty
> impossible to explore the huge JADE worlds.
I also hope to see guilds in the new kick-ass towns you
have/are developing. The smith in Dwarftown and the
thieves in Holeinthewall are good guidelines. They can
offer some services to all characters (much in line with
the services in ADOM), but special services to the class
in question. E.g. the assasins guild could offer training
in Backstabbing and sell poison to all, but assasins get
special deals and the possibility to do "hits".

> - Character development: This is my main area of
> interest. In the optimal case you will be able to play a
> character for years (if you want) and still be able to
> develop him further on. The main features to allow for
> this:
> * a modified open-ended gaming engine that no longer has
> _any_ level caps (50 or whatever)
> * skill development (again open-ended) based on levels
> _and_ usage * multi-classing (so you can be a fighter/6,
> rogue/12, wizard/35 if you want - and monsters can and
> will be such combinations, too ;-)
I don't know if multiclassing is such a good idea. After
all we have a Barbarian Archmage victory post from ADOM,
which illustrates that the classes are mere starting
archetypes and you do not have to conform to a specific
pattern for a given class. I think a system free of levels
or level-caps is the way forward. I have my best pen and
paper RPG experiences from systems that to not use levels
at all.

> The new system will use a modified version of what ADOM
> uses for combat - I have code-named it the d'Infinity
> engine for now. The basic idea is that the game
> internally always rolls a modified d20 for everything,
> but adds are added to the sides of the die (something
> only a computer can do but IMHO is very elegant for an
> open-ended system).
Most things in nature are destributed according to the
normal destribution. A weapon that does between 1 and 8
points of damage will occationally bounce off (doing 1) or
hit a soft spot (doing 8), but most frequently do 4-5
points of damage. So we have done away with single dice
and only use them for truely chance events. A 1dx is read
as (3dx)/3. Just food for thought.

> Example:
An example of a chance event. In this case a single dice
is often preferable.
> Merry Christmas,
And a merry Christmas to you too.

From: BUDNA@hotmail.com
Date: 28 Dec 2004 08:40:05 -0800

>This autosave file would only be openable if there was a
>corresponding .err file(ADOM got closed by something other than the
>shift-Q command or ctrl+alt+delete)

There won't be an .err file for a system crash or power failure either, and
that's the number two and three cause of characters lost to something other
than death (the usually trapped SIGSEGVs (Signal 291/Signal 11) being number
one).

maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
> Thomas Biskup wrote:
>
>>- Character development: This is my main area of
>>interest. In the optimal case you will be able to play a
>>character for years (if you want) and still be able to
>>develop him further on. The main features to allow for
>>this:
>>* a modified open-ended gaming engine that no longer has
>>_any_ level caps (50 or whatever)
>>* skill development (again open-ended) based on levels
>>_and_ usage * multi-classing (so you can be a fighter/6,
>>rogue/12, wizard/35 if you want - and monsters can and
>>will be such combinations, too ;-)
>
> I don't know if multiclassing is such a good idea. After
> all we have a Barbarian Archmage victory post from ADOM,
> which illustrates that the classes are mere starting
> archetypes and you do not have to conform to a specific
> pattern for a given class.

That barbarian never cast any spells except for the bookcast wishes. If you
wanted to play a barbarian as a wizard you'd need both the spellbook and to have
randomly learned the spell, and then always cast from a book. You'd need to be a
fair bit into the game already for this to be possible, your PP would be quite
on the low side and it certainly wouldn't be much fun. Although possible, saying
a barbarian can be played as a wizard is rather misleading.

- ToGu

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

ToGu wrote:
> maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
>> Thomas Biskup wrote:
>>
>>> - Character development: This is my main area of
>>> interest. In the optimal case you will be able to play
>>> a character for years (if you want) and still be able
>>> to develop him further on. The main features to allow
>>> for this:
>>> * a modified open-ended gaming engine that no longer
>>> has _any_ level caps (50 or whatever)
>>> * skill development (again open-ended) based on levels
>>> _and_ usage * multi-classing (so you can be a
>>> fighter/6, rogue/12, wizard/35 if you want - and
>>> monsters can and will be such combinations, too ;-)
>>
>> I don't know if multiclassing is such a good idea.
>> After all we have a Barbarian Archmage victory post
>> from ADOM, which illustrates that the classes are mere
>> starting archetypes and you do not have to conform to a
>> specific pattern for a given class.
>
> That barbarian never cast any spells except for the
> bookcast wishes. If you wanted to play a barbarian as a
> wizard you'd need both the spellbook and to have
> randomly learned the spell, and then always cast from a
> book. You'd need to be a fair bit into the game already
> for this to be possible, your PP would be quite on the
> low side and it certainly wouldn't be much fun. Although
> possible, saying a barbarian can be played as a wizard
> is rather misleading.
>
> - ToGu

Misleading perhaps. On the other hand I have a Farmer with
a ring wish engine who gets ~2000 castings pr. book read.
Had no problems reading Create Item. So perhaps the
Barbarian example was misleading, but let's just say that
anything but Barbarians and Mindcrafters can become
prominent mages and leave it at that.

My point seems to have gotten lost. I do _NOT_ like a
class-restricted system, where you can only cast spells if
you are a mage, only use certain if equipment if you are
this and that. I like the current system, where you
naturally adapt into the spellcaster role. It may
certainly take more work for some classes, but I find that
very logical. After all a fighter-type class get
significant benefits in melee and should use some effort
to learn the arcane arts.

> [...]
> rolls still is 1d(20+48)=1d68 with some chance for failure. One might
> think that the chance for failure is too high - but look at the heroes
> in movies: hey also fail whenever it is appropriate for the director.
> IMHO this keeps the game exciting. Mybe I'll twek the system a bit by
> e.g. doubling the add after +20, trippling it after +40 and so on so
> that the above-mentioned +48 bonus yields a 1d(20 + 1 * 20 + 2 * 20 +
> 3 * 8) for a total roll of 1d104 or so... we'll see.
>
> A nice side effect of this is that difficulty values need not rise
> unnessarily - the base values of say 5 (easy), 10 (average), 15
> (challenging), 20 (difficult), 25 (very difficult), 30 (insanely hard)
> and 40 (impossible) will suffice for quite some time. DV values also
> will remain in a contained range, etc.
>
> Just some thoughts - all this is constantly being revised ;-)

Another thought - how about if JADE features some of the Towns, dungeons
and/or countryside of the Ancardia that we all know and love? But in a much
lator timeframe and for example have a graveyard with some of the NPC's in
it (for example). But not as a major part - just one of those things you
come accross

Lachlan