This is a XP Pro/Windows 7 64 bit dual boot question.

Barjabba

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
1. I am running XP Pro fessional 32 bit now.

2. I have upgraded my Mobo/RAM/CPU. (see specs below)

3). I have tried windows 7 on a separte partition, just to see if memory problem would resolve and to see my machine in 64 bit operation. :sol:

4). I have a separte partition waitng for install of Windows 7 64 - bit professional. Have CD et al.

I am told, and I believe that I can simply install the Windows 7 to the waiting partion and come out having a dual boot menu to access either one. :sol:

I know this, as I have always made sure that I am not installing the NEW OS first, then the OLD OS 2nd. I am still not sure in my case. So many ideas on forums cause me to think I will lose all my XP Pro stufF and Win 7 will take over, not allowing me back into XP Pro.

I just want to feel safe in doing this final (I hope) upgrade/migration. The waiting partition had a Windows 7 64 - test OS on it. I want MY copy of Windows 7 64 Pro to overwrite it and nothing else. I don't mind if in the Win 7 install it wants to format that >partition<. Am I good to go? :pt1cable:

Windows XP Pro is currently drive 'C' (of course) and the waiting partition is showing Old test Win7 as drive 'D'. I care not which is which as long as I get to boot into one or the other. I have many things to migrate still and no time to wait on the install, as I need the 64 bit stuff now.

SPECS:
PSU is 550 watts
Cooler Master Case 790 ?? (lots of cooling and huge)
*MSI NF980-G65, Tri Sli
*AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
*8 GB DDR3 RAM
1 160 GB IDE Internal Drive(going to use as storage of videos/DVR)
1 SATA 1.5 TB Internal drive(partitioned)
1 Seagate 1 TB External drive partitioned Back Up)
ACER 22" LCD Widescreen Monitor
Battery back up

░░▒▒▓▓█│BarJabba│█▓▓▒▒░░

Solution
I have this on my old Dell machine, dual boot & and XP. 7 installed first.

bing "dual boot windows 7 and XP", and you'll get ALOT of hits/information. I couldn't find the exact page I found useful, but I'll let you know.

You might also get a freeware utility called "EasyBCD" to help in case you can't get the dual boot screen after the XP install. XP messes up 7, but it is fixable, either by this utility, or MBR code fixing.

It all depend on which OS you install first. XP then 7 is "easier." Depends on which OS you will use mostly, to install the the first parts of your hard drive, for faster (albeit almost unnoticable) drive access.

I'll follow up...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I just did this for a client. If XP is already there and you just want to add W7x64 onto a new partition, you should be fine. I'd boot from your W7x64 disk for the most straight forward installation.

I have this on my old Dell machine, dual boot & and XP. 7 installed first.

bing "dual boot windows 7 and XP", and you'll get ALOT of hits/information. I couldn't find the exact page I found useful, but I'll let you know.

You might also get a freeware utility called "EasyBCD" to help in case you can't get the dual boot screen after the XP install. XP messes up 7, but it is fixable, either by this utility, or MBR code fixing.

It all depend on which OS you install first. XP then 7 is "easier." Depends on which OS you will use mostly, to install the the first parts of your hard drive, for faster (albeit almost unnoticable) drive access.

I'll follow up...

Solution

Barjabba

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Thank you all, for the good replies. I feel safer now. I will boot from the Windows 7 DVD and make sure I put it on the designated partition. FYI: I use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 & Acronis True Image Home 2009. (Just recieved a great offer from Acronis to upgrade :) ).

If I can get this going without a hitch, I will be a very happy man. This computer is made for this OS...almost. ;-)