Berserk, super tough, game crashing Jackals?

Well, not exactly. I'm starting to get back into Adom after a long absence,
but I'm wondering if the reasons I quit playing it some years ago are still
present. Haven't been surviving long enough to notice these issues yet, just
wondering if I'm in for a nasty shock.

In no particular order:

Monsters (especially already strong nasty monsters) would occasionally go
berserk at low health and absolutely pulverize your character. This was
avoidable if you weren't in melee, but if you were a melee character in
range... well, I lost more than a few characters to this.

Monsters would get stronger over time as they were killed en masse, so
eventually, I'd be fighting rats/jackals/etc in the CoC who were more
dangerous than dragons.

And last (and perhaps worst of all), there were still several crash bugs in
the game, and no recovery method for your save file whatsoever. Again, I
lost quite a few promising characters to this.

What's the story? I really enjoy playing Adom, but those issues were enough
to make me quit playing in disgust (for some years!). I was wondering if the
latest version (1.1.1?) has fixed/tweaked those bugs/issues.
7 answers Last reply
More about berserk super tough game crashing jackals
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Fix them? They're worse than ever. The game is just one long buggy
    mess. I suggest getting patches from the various hackers who have
    taken over ADOM development since Thomas Biskup hasn't touched it in
    ages. Have fun with the jackals!
    DV

    Marcus wrote:
    > Well, not exactly. I'm starting to get back into Adom after a long
    absence,
    > but I'm wondering if the reasons I quit playing it some years ago are
    still
    > present. Haven't been surviving long enough to notice these issues
    yet, just
    > wondering if I'm in for a nasty shock.
    >
    > In no particular order:
    >
    > Monsters (especially already strong nasty monsters) would
    occasionally go
    > berserk at low health and absolutely pulverize your character. This
    was
    > avoidable if you weren't in melee, but if you were a melee character
    in
    > range... well, I lost more than a few characters to this.
    >
    > Monsters would get stronger over time as they were killed en masse,
    so
    > eventually, I'd be fighting rats/jackals/etc in the CoC who were more
    > dangerous than dragons.
    >
    > And last (and perhaps worst of all), there were still several crash
    bugs in
    > the game, and no recovery method for your save file whatsoever.
    Again, I
    > lost quite a few promising characters to this.
    >
    > What's the story? I really enjoy playing Adom, but those issues were
    enough
    > to make me quit playing in disgust (for some years!). I was wondering
    if the
    > latest version (1.1.1?) has fixed/tweaked those bugs/issues.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Marcus wrote:

    > Well, not exactly. I'm starting to get back into Adom after a long absence,
    > but I'm wondering if the reasons I quit playing it some years ago are still
    > present. Haven't been surviving long enough to notice these issues yet, just
    > wondering if I'm in for a nasty shock.
    >
    > In no particular order:
    >
    > Monsters (especially already strong nasty monsters) would occasionally go
    > berserk at low health and absolutely pulverize your character. This was
    > avoidable if you weren't in melee, but if you were a melee character in
    > range... well, I lost more than a few characters to this.
    >
    > Monsters would get stronger over time as they were killed en masse, so
    > eventually, I'd be fighting rats/jackals/etc in the CoC who were more
    > dangerous than dragons.
    >
    > And last (and perhaps worst of all), there were still several crash bugs in
    > the game, and no recovery method for your save file whatsoever. Again, I
    > lost quite a few promising characters to this.
    >
    > What's the story? I really enjoy playing Adom, but those issues were enough
    > to make me quit playing in disgust (for some years!). I was wondering if the
    > latest version (1.1.1?) has fixed/tweaked those bugs/issues.

    Well, I thought I would give another response, the counter the one from the
    lovely top posting person claiming the game is "just one long buggy mess".

    Berferking. Yes, a bit buggy, since monsters sometimes attack THEMSELVES in
    a blind rage, and regarded by some as overpowered. Personally, I play with
    this one still around, though there is a patch available to stop it.

    The uberjackal effect. Again, a bit buggy. Generally due to monsters that
    can be summoned. The rate at which monsters gain experience based upon the
    number of them killed is determined by their creation probability. This
    however means that summoned monsters (jackals, giant spiders, rats, etc)
    and some of the ones of which there are many guaranteed at set locations
    (Chaos Servants) can become unusually strong. Again, I play with this one
    intact. Just to try take out summoners as soon as you see them, and avoid
    killing huge numbers of any one enemy. In the case of the animals like the
    jackals and spiders, try calming some of them (or taming with music) and
    they will each other off, meaning you personally kill fewer.

    As for crash bugs, the only fairly reproducable one I know is the ingot
    drop bug, with identified and unidentified ones of the same kind trying
    to occupy the same space or something. Since this one actually crashes
    the game, it is the only one I have applied a patch to avoid.

    Not sure this is the OFFICIAL place, but you can get that particular
    patch from here:

    http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~houeland/adom/

    HTH
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    "Stephen White" <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote in message
    > Marcus wrote:
    > Not sure this is the OFFICIAL place, but you can get that particular
    > patch from here:
    >
    > http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~houeland/adom/
    >
    > HTH

    sniiiiiip

    Those patches seem to be separate files. Can both of them be applied
    together safely? One is for monster xp/rage/rand arts/skilled crash, the
    other is for the ingots crash.

    Also, if Adom is no longer updated, is there an earlier version that lacks
    these 'features'?

    Thanks for the info though, I do appreciate it :)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Marcus wrote:
    > "Stephen White" <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Marcus wrote: Not sure this is the OFFICIAL place, but you can get
    >> that particular patch from here:
    >>
    >> http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~houeland/adom/
    >>
    >> HTH
    >

    > sniiiiiip
    >
    > Those patches seem to be separate files. Can both of them be applied
    > together safely? One is for monster xp/rage/rand arts/skilled crash,
    > the other is for the ingots crash.
    >
    > Also, if Adom is no longer updated, is there an earlier version that
    > lacks these 'features'?
    >
    > Thanks for the info though, I do appreciate it :)

    Some people still play ADOM 1.0.0, which doesn't have the uber-monster
    feature, but is lacking several other things. However, Thomas has made
    mention of updating ADOM, so it's _possible_ we might see something
    happen, sometime ;) He's definately working on JADE, so hopefully he
    won't just forget about ADOM...
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Marcus wrote:

    > Those patches seem to be separate files. Can both of them be applied
    > together safely? One is for monster xp/rage/rand arts/skilled crash,
    > the other is for the ingots crash.
    >
    > Also, if Adom is no longer updated, is there an earlier version that
    > lacks these 'features'?

    As Twinge reported, version 1.0.0 is still somewhat popular; however, I
    greatly prefer 1.1.1 since I like the Talents capability that is completely
    missing from 1.0.x and earlier versions. There is also a 1.1.0 that has
    the Talents, but it is buggier than 1.1.1.

    1.1.1 (the Winbeta, not the DOS version) is actually pretty stable apart
    from the Skilled talent and ingot bugs...

    -- Jeff
    -- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

    If fifty million people say a stupid thing, it is still
    a stupid thing. - Anatole France
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:08:33 -0500, Marcus wrote:

    > "Stephen White" <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote in message
    >> Marcus wrote:
    >> Not sure this is the OFFICIAL place, but you can get that particular
    >> patch from here:
    >>
    >> http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~houeland/adom/
    >>
    >> HTH
    >
    > sniiiiiip
    >
    > Those patches seem to be separate files. Can both of them be applied
    > together safely? One is for monster xp/rage/rand arts/skilled crash, the
    > other is for the ingots crash.

    I've no idea how ToGu's patcher works, but my patcher checks the
    filesize and only the zones it patches. I doubt there are common regions
    which are modified by both patches, so I'd say it's safe, if you apply
    my patch after ToGu's.

    --
    A blessed ElDeR cHaOs GoD figurine of wondrous power (25s) is lying
    here.

    AdomBot - bot, demos, sounds, cheats, and more
    http://www.geocities.com/adombot/
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:08:33 -0500, Marcus wrote:
    >
    >> "Stephen White" <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote in message
    >>> Marcus wrote:
    >>> Not sure this is the OFFICIAL place, but you can get that particular
    >>> patch from here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~houeland/adom/
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>
    >> sniiiiiip
    >>
    >> Those patches seem to be separate files. Can both of them be applied
    >> together safely? One is for monster xp/rage/rand arts/skilled crash,
    >> the other is for the ingots crash.
    >
    > I've no idea how ToGu's patcher works, but my patcher checks the
    > filesize and only the zones it patches. I doubt there are common
    > regions which are modified by both patches, so I'd say it's safe, if
    > you apply my patch after ToGu's.

    I believe that was the order I applied them in, and it seemed to run ok
    afterwards. Is the skilled talent crash something immediate? I've always run
    the dos version in the past, but I'm using winbeta4 now, so I'll do some
    runs in a bit (after I finish a few runs in wow :D) and see if any troubles
    crop up. If the two patches combine cleanly, I'll be a happy camper :) They
    take out the issues which annoyed me most. Barring any other crash bugs and
    the lack of a save restore function to deal with said crashes, it should be
    just plain old YASDs :)

Video Games