Overwhelmed with monitor options! - Please help me find what I need

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 15, 2012 5:44:29 PM

Over the past month, I have been researching and shopping for components for my first ever homebuilt system. I've found that selecting a monitor is by far the most difficult decision/shopping process I have encountered so far. I could use some help/advice/suggestions.

The GPU I will be using is the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 1GB, which has 2x Mini DisplayPort outputs, 1x HDMI, and 1x DVI. My Mobo (ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3) has 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, and 1x DVI.

I intend to use the monitor for the following purposes, in order of frequency/importance (highest to lowest):
* Normal use / Web browsing / Text document editing
* Internet marketing & SEO software management
* Web design & development / Photoshop
* Audio recording & editing / DAWs
* Diablo III
* Movies & TV (Mostly standard def, with some 720-1080p HD)

The following are the minimum specs I'm looking for:
Screen Size: 24"
Resolution: 1920x1080
Display: LED
Panel Type: VA
Brightness: > 250cd/m2
Contrast Ratio (Native): Not Sure but I'll say 1200:1
Pixel Pitch: < 0.3mm
Response Time: < 8ms
Connectivity: VGA, DVI, HDMI
Stand/Installation: Tilt & Height-adjustable stand
Price: < $600

The following are the ideal specs I'm looking for, but don't expect to find all of in the model I finally purchase:
Screen Size: 27"
Display: LED
Panel Type: IPS
Brightness: > 300cd/m2
Contrast Ratio (Native): Not Sure so I'll say < 1200:1
Pixel Pitch: < 0.25mm
Response Time: < 5ms
Connectivity: VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Stand/Installation: Wall-mountable with optional stand
Price: < $500

MUST HAVE specs:
Screen Size: AT LEAST 24"
Panel type: AT LEAST VA, absolutely not TN
Price: NO MORE than $600

Subjectively, I would like a monitor that:
* Will not hurt my eyes or give me a headache when working in front of it for many hours and/or editing black text on a bright background for many hours
* Offers accurate color representation
* Can be mounted on the wall in case I want to work from across the room / sit back and watch TV/Movies
* Will not ghost or lag when playing Diablo III / Watching videos

The following are options that I don't care about / don't want to pay extra for:
* Built-in speakers
* Built-in webcam
* 3D compatibility
* Ultra-high resolutions

SO!
I clearly have a general idea of what I want, so why did I bother making a thread to ask for help?
Well, after searching for several weeks, I have yet to find a monitor that offers all the specs I consider ideal. The most common shortfalls (when all other specs are perfect) are: Price, Non-LED, No wall-mount support, TN panel display.
Even still, if and when I do find the ideal monitor for my needs in the price range I want by searching online, I know from experience and friends' advice that you should always try to see the monitor in action before purchasing it. So if I do find the perfect monitor, I have to then track it down in person to preview it. That leads me to ask, what are the best U.S. stores for previewing a wide variety of LCD monitors?

IN CONCLUSION:
* Can you recommend any positively-reviewed models that would fit my needs & requirements?
* Any general advice for making compromises on certain specs? (I may never find the "perfect" monitor, so where can I cut corners?)

More about : overwhelmed monitor options find

April 16, 2012 1:46:25 AM

gary1 said:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

This is what I would get. IPS, LED, sweet size of 24.

That's a pretty great monitor for a very good price. Too bad it's not 27" but I think looking for exclusively 27" monitors so far has probably been one of the biggest reasons why I'm finding it so hard to find one that meets my desires. Thank you for the suggestion - still open to more.
Related resources
April 18, 2012 11:26:58 PM

I really like the model that gary1 recommended, but I'd like to also look at some monitors with better specs for:

HDMI connectivity
5ms or less response time
mountable, rather than swivel stand

Any recommendations?
April 26, 2012 5:44:17 PM

I suggest you seriously consider a non-TV format such as 1920x1200 instead. I bet you spend a lot more time scrolling than panning. If spending $500+, don't settle for the wide-screen hype.
April 26, 2012 6:18:59 PM

syseng said:
I suggest you seriously consider a non-TV format such as 1920x1200 instead. I bet you spend a lot more time scrolling than panning. If spending $500+, don't settle for the wide-screen hype.

Indeed, I do do a lot of vertical scrolling. The model I have had at the front of my mind since it was recommended (Dell 24" IPS) does support 1980x1200 resolution. It is also adjustable to display in either landscape or portrait, so that can reduce scrolling for very long documents.

I was actually JUST about to purchase that monitor a couple of days ago from Microcenter, but they ran out of stock the moment before I placed my order :pfff: 
So for now I'm still interested in other similar options. More like THIS, please! :) 

I could order from Newegg for about $20 more, but I don't trust sending monitors through delivery, and it's nice to check them out in person before you commit to the purchase. And obviously it would be more expensive.
April 27, 2012 8:46:25 PM

bjsdtl said:
Indeed, I do do a lot of vertical scrolling. The model I have had at the front of my mind since it was recommended (Dell 24" IPS) does support 1980x1200 resolution. It is also adjustable to display in either landscape or portrait, so that can reduce scrolling for very long documents.

I was actually JUST about to purchase that monitor a couple of days ago from Microcenter, but they ran out of stock the moment before I placed my order :pfff: 
So for now I'm still interested in other similar options. More like THIS, please! :) 

I could order from Newegg for about $20 more, but I don't trust sending monitors through delivery, and it's nice to check them out in person before you commit to the purchase. And obviously it would be more expensive.

Yeah I just picked up an 27" asus monitor from staples wasn't a bad monitor except for it had a dead pixel :p  I returned it and got a new one but when I plugged that one in it had 2 dead pixels.. I would hate to have to ship back a bad monitor. I would love to get a dell but I like to see what I am getting before I get it. I almost pulled the trigger on the 2412 when it was on sale though a couple of days ago, it is no longer on sale though.. I really wish there was a place up here that sold them that I could check them out.
!