Your question

Purchased new SDD Drive what do I put on it other than the operating system

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Video
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2012 3:41:04 PM

I have purchased a new SSD Drive, I intend to put the operating system Windows 7 Ultimate on it, but my question is :--- I,m currently editing 20+ home videos do I put the video file on the SSD Drive or do I leave them on my hard-drive.

Would accessing the files be any faster if the were on the same drive as the operating system.

More about : purchased sdd drive put operating system

December 31, 2012 3:44:46 PM

It depends how big your SSD is?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 3:49:30 PM

Anything would be faster accessing it from the SSD. I would move the files over to the SSD while you edited them, and then move them back to your hard drive when you were done editing them.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 3:49:38 PM

ssd is faster than hdd, but some things do not require speed, such as watching videos or listening to music, which are the same because they retrieve data at the same pace unless the hdd is too slow to use at all.

keep a video you're editing on the ssd and see if it makes a difference. It will most likely go faster if you have the program on the ssd.

The OS location will only make a difference for OS related tasks, such as startup.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:20:17 PM

My SSD Drive is 128 gb and my hard-drive is 500gb, so the SSD Drive is big enough for the operating system and the video files, I have yet to install and setup the SSD Drive, having never had experience of SSD Drives, before I install and set up the SSD Drive I,m wondering if the video files were on the the same drive would that be an advantage or not. So I appreciate any help or advice given before I begin.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:31:16 PM

128 is not a large drive - as mentioned put the application you use for editing and the files you are editing on the ssd. Video files can fill up a drive as fast as any thing.
-Bruce
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:32:58 PM

John 1948 said:
My SSD Drive is 128 gb and my hard-drive is 500gb, so the SSD Drive is big enough for the operating system and the video files, I have yet to install and setup the SSD Drive, having never had experience of SSD Drives, before I install and set up the SSD Drive I,m wondering if the video files were on the the same drive would that be an advantage or not. So I appreciate any help or advice given before I begin.

it MIGHT make a big difference in speed, but it definitely makes a difference in filling up the ssd. Test it, we would like to know how it turns out.

I don't know how it affects video editing, but solid state is a huge advantage for os and programs.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:19:23 PM

Thing is you want to install the OS for sure to the SSD, normally what I like to do is create a 50Gig partion for the OS (I have a 120 SSD) then that leave me with about 60Gig or so when I create another partition and label it "fast drive or something" at that point you can can install your editing software and create a temp folder for your video files an see if that helps.
m
l
!