itnetpro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Guys... I just built my new system

Athlon 1000t
Abit Kt7 Raid
256 cas 2 133 ram
32 meg TNT II Creative Labs (I plan to upgrade)
2 Western Digital 40 Gig ATA 100 7200 RPM Hard Drives
in Raid 1 configuration.
Lots of fans............

I ran all benchmark test and this baby is a rocket. I now am in the process of running the system for 48 hours straight crunching numbers for Set@Home. CPU utilization has been at 100% for 12 hours straight now. The highest recorded temp logged at 71.8c. DO I have a heat problem or is this normal?

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That sounds kind of hot. What type of heat sink you got? I under stand that it is under heavy load, but you may want to consider improving your cooling. Theoretically the semiconductor junctions won't break down until around 150C, but at 72C you may still be lowering the life of your CPU. You may want to look into that.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
have you overclocked your system? if not then 71c is a LOT of heat, though its almost half as what the Ahlon datasheet says, its dangerous. You need to run it below 50, preferably 40, for reliable results.

Athlons generate a lot of heat and its a real problem dealing with it, especially if you are running a lot of CPU intensive apps.

What kinda heat sink are you using? Get a better one from, say http://www.coolermaster.com , or keep your cabinet open for some hours and log the temp. 71 is okay if you plan to throw away the processor in less than 2 yrs! If you havent overclocked try reducing the CPU core voltage (CPU supports it in 25 mV steps, dunno if the board supports it) it would be 1.85V, try reducing it to 1.8, 1.75 and check the temperature as well as stability of the system. Also make sure to use better cooling equipment, a water cooled one for you cpu.

girish

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if that temp reading is acurate, then it is indeed hot!!! i think amd says they are rated to about 90c, but that's when they cease to function. what program gave you that reading? as everyone else asked, what fan/heatsink are you using? did you use thermal paste? if you are using the thermal pad that comes on most fans, did you remove the plastic film covering the pad?

KranitzL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, i have not a clue, I know my proc, a PII 400, usually runs at 85-90F. But, I just got a WD 40GIG, and I was wondering if youve had any problems with yours, or do they work great?

itnetpro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Western Digital 7200 AtA 100s run great!
40 gigs each for $129!!! Could not beat it..
The WDs are also very quiet.They dont seem
to heat up very much either.. All the same
I did put HD coolers on them... I dont care
what anyone says! I have had WDs for almost
10 years now and I consider them to be the
best IDE HDs on the market. Never had a failure...

itnetpro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Follow-up

Just wanted to say that I took that junk TC
Computers put on my Athlon and threw a Cool
Master on. I am running at 1.75 core. I ran
the system for 1 hour at 100% utilization.
Temp reading is comming in at 55.

Problem soulved... Thanks guys...

P.s.
I did raise the Core to 1.85 and the temp
at 100% load was 59c. I did benchmark the
system and there seems to be no change.
Is there any value in changing the core
to 1.85 if there is no performance gain?

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Is there any value in changing the core
to 1.85 if there is no performance gain?"

The reason for increasing the core voltage it to make the CPU stable at higher clock speeds. Increacing the voltage itself will give no performance advantages and decreace the life of the CPU by making it run hotter than at lower voltages. As a general rule you should try to keep the voltage as low a possible.