Sign in with
Your question

can't shrink volume in D:Drive Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2012 7:05:01 PM

Hello,
When I go to the normal shrink partition in my Windows 7, it won't allow me to do it .
What do I need to do to get my pc to allow me to shrink the C; in order to allow large D:D rive partition/
January 1, 2013 5:23:35 AM

Hi. If your C: comes "before" D:, then you need to defrag your C: before you can shrink it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 6:14:59 AM

I'm fairly sure you can only extend partitions to the right and not the left. Not entirely sure if thats true but I would just use some freeware program and do it through that if so.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 6:26:12 AM

johnsonjohnson said:
Hi. If your C: comes "before" D:, then you need to defrag your C: before you can shrink it.

Not sure how the partitioning programs works but this makes sense so sounds to be worth a try atleast. :) 

mouse24 said:
I'm fairly sure you can only extend partitions to the right and not the left. Not entirely sure if thats true but I would just use some freeware program and do it through that if so.

It could be fragmented with files on that part of the drive so if a freeware program would be willing to partition it the OP could lose data.
m
l
January 1, 2013 6:55:21 AM

mouse24 said:

^ This
In Windows you can only extend to the right.
Use a third-party partition manager/editor.
m
l
!