Can I use my laptop's old Windows 7 key on my new desktop?

rrroach

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello to all!

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8 through the $15 upgrade option. The way I understand it now is that the Windows 7 key that came with the laptop is no longer in use (since the Windows 8 key I received was totally different), so I was wondering what my options were in terms of using either the Windows 7 key or Windows 8 key on a new PC that I'm building.

I could downgrade my laptop through a fresh install of Windows 7; would that make the Windows 8 key I payed for available for use on my new build?

If not, could I leave my laptop on Windows 8 and use the Windows 7 key that is no longer in use on the laptop (I think) on my new build?

Thanks!

Solution
The OEM Windows 7 key on the laptop is not transferable to another computer. Your Windows 8 media and key are upgrade only and can not be used for a clean install, a qualifying OS must already exist.

In short, you have to purchase a copy of Windows for your PC build.
The OEM Windows 7 key on the laptop is not transferable to another computer. Your Windows 8 media and key are upgrade only and can not be used for a clean install, a qualifying OS must already exist.

In short, you have to purchase a copy of Windows for your PC build.

Solution

rrroach

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
New question! I've got an old hard drive that has XP on it... any way I can use it to get some sort of discount on Windows 8? Or is it bound to the motherboard, like stated above?

rrroach

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I'm aware of the the $40 upgrade fee (that's why I asked! ;) ) but I'm concerned about whether I'd be able to "transfer" the OS licensing once I upgrade the old XP drive to Windows 8 onto my new hard drive. The problem is that the drive which already has XP is only 60GB (not to mention VERY slow!) so I refuse to use it in my build.

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

From what I understand, all systems are made using a generic OS product key. So, unless you've used the one located on your laptop, it's not considered in use. This allows for you to replace your mobo if it dies, it's not intended for use with another system. ^^