Laptop freezes and makes weird noises

G

Hi. I received my laptop somewhat recently and it still somewhat new, yet as of late, everything momentarily freezes and the audio from my laptop becomes a scratchy, sort of sputtering noise. But it goes back to normal after a bit, but these moments of freezing and weird noise have been increasing in duration.

I do not know what is wrong with it yet have been trying to look it up, and so far have come across overheating and hard drive problems as the main concern. Does anyone have any ideas/tips/help? Thanks for reading/helping.

Hi. I received my laptop somewhat recently and it still somewhat new, yet as of late, everything momentarily freezes and the audio from my laptop becomes a scratchy, sort of sputtering noise. But it goes back to normal after a bit, but these moments of freezing and weird noise have been increasing in duration.

I do not know what is wrong with it yet have been trying to look it up, and so far have come across overheating and hard drive problems as the main concern. Does anyone have any ideas/tips/help? Thanks for reading/helping.

Firstly, does this happen only when you're online and using the Net or at any time? Does the machine feel hot and can you hear the fan running? How much memory or RAM does it have?[/#000ff]

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Sounds like there is a fan problem, normally laptop fans are inactive until the temperature reaches a certain level, then it kicks in and the fan normally whizzes up. I've had a few laptops where there is a fan problem when it starts up it stutters a little and you get this wasp in a jar kind of sound from it as it rattles a little. It normally goes away after a minute or two but this can increase, much as your problem sounds like. It's probably causing the processor to heat up too much because of inadequate cooling. Before you do anything check that you are using the laptop in a dust free area and it's not sitting in your lap the entire time you're using it. People always think that laptop means you can have it on your lap or on your bed, but the bottom parts have a grill so that air can get sucked through to keep the parts cool. so it's got to be on an even surface. Another suggestion would be to spend about $15-$25 on a USB powered laptop cooler and see if that makes a difference. If it's less than a year old and its defo the fan bring it back for a replacement. If it's over a year old I'm afraid a USB cooler might work but if you know what you're doing (and only if you know) you can service the fan yourself or buy a spare.

TRENDING THREADS