Best size monitor, and resolution for gaming?

i would have to say between 20 to 24 inches, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.

size is more determined by how far you will be sitting from the monitor. i use my 40" hdtv as my main monitor for gaming.

as for resolution, the additional vertical pixels are nice for making the image more squareish but it might not be worth the additional price.

I don't think there really is a "best" size/res as this is higly subjective.

DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, and VGA cables all support 1920x1200.

If you have the desk space (and money) for it, a 30 inch 2560x1600 is good for gaming IMO, because 1280x800 scales well (to exactly double in each direction), and can be used for games that are too demanding for your video card at full resolution or that don't scale text and other UI elements relative to the resolution.

That's subjective.

I like my two 25.5" LCD monitors that has 1920 x 1200 resolution. They are the right size and fits my desk just fine.

I did not choose a 27" monitor because at that time IPS monitors in that size did not exist. Probably would have been a bit too big as well.

I did not choose two 30" LCD monitor that does 2560 x 1600 resolution for the following reasons:

1. Not enough desk space.
2. The resolution is a bit high for my taste.
3. That high resolution requires a very powerful or two very powerful video cards for games. Read as expensive...
4. I tend to buy premium level monitors so I was not willing to spend $2,000 - $2,500 per monitor.

Personally, I have to say - the higher the better. I have a 30 incher at 2560x1600 and I love it. As Jaguar pointed out though, they are expensive, take up a lot of desk space, and they require a LOT of video horsepower to play games properly.

I'm curious here. If you don't consider that price range to be premium level, what price range qualifies as premium level, and what name do you give the $2000-$2500 price range?

While I was looking around for a monitor, I was thinking kinda hard about the 30" NEC LCD3090WQXi-BK when it first debuted back in 2008. I think it was going for around $2,300 - $2,600 for the regular version and an additional $200 - $300 for the SpectraView version.

I was thinking, wow if I were to buy the 30" NEC then that would mean the cost of the monitor would represent 70% - 75% of my total budget for a new PC. I find most people are cheap... they'll spend $400 - $500 on their GPUs, but are only willing to spend maybe at most $300 on a monitor. In my situation, the 30" NEC would have probably been 10x the cost of the video card.

Reality hit me so I decided to buy the 26" NEC LCD2690WUXi for about $1,300... then it hit me... why was it so cheap? Awww crap, the one I ordered didn't have SpectraView.

for me the hardest part is deciding whether I should fork out the money now and perhaps have a good monitor for multiple systems down the years (if it doesnt fail) or buy something with a good value and save the money for a new monitor when it comes time to buy a new system. I lucked out with my viewsonic vp201b that I bought at a computer show. on release it was about $650, 4 year warranty (total system was $1800ish) and i'm still using the same monitor over 6 years later (and it works fine!). I would say that if you plan to be serious about gaming at least 1/5 to 1/4 of your budget should be devoted to perepherals (monitor, kb, mouse, speakers, etc)

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I have to say 1980x1080 is more than sufficient for full imersion gaming experience, lots of details to be seen, of course the more pixels the more workload for the graphic card, I have LG HDTV 32inch connect to my gaming reg via HDMI - DVI and sometimes HDMI but the DVI is superior when it comes to coloring, the response rate of the monitor is fast and its big enough to be used for movies, series browsing and all kinda of stuff, these kind of decisions are subjective and cannot be measured, few days ago me and my buddy were talking and he said that high resolution gaming make things small for him and that he prefers low resolution gaming, thats why I guess the best balance between the both are 1980x1080 or 1980x1200.

zex95966

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
It depends on a number of factors.

How good your video card is,
how much money you have,
and what size screen you want.

The better your video card, the bigger the screen you can have.
This means smaller monitors can actually be better if you either on a budget or just want to maximize resolutions.

I like 23-24 inches personally, and then get a real nice video card.

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

I agree I would use this one it has a 2 milisecond response time and a 50 million to one contrast ratio it is 23 inches

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+23%26%2334%3B+Widescreen+LED+Monitor/3706239.p?id=1218428704344&skuId=3706239

TRENDING THREADS