..
[spoily]

One of my most promising characters yet, a Gray Elf Archer, has gotten
to DL40. I have four rings of djinni summoning in reserve, a ring shop
on DL24 which I can farm for more if I really need them, and 10 days
left on the corruption timer, with no current corruptions and 5 scrolls
of chaos resistance in reserve (saved Khelly). Equipment includes 7LB,
GoGS, and all the wishable goodies. No particularly good artifacts
(thunderstroke, barf). Eternium equipment, including platemail and
weapons, though I'm currently using the ancient mummy wrapping for
security against deathrays.

Problem is... I just ran into a big-arse horde (10x10 or more) of
quickling queens on DL40, sitting on and blocking the staircase down.
I killed one of them, then quickly (heh) teleported myself back out and
to DL39.

I've heard hordes of these are incredibly dangerous, so I'm going to
ask for advice on fighting them before I continue and risk this very,
very promising U*E candidate.

Thanks in advance.

-Dkarrde

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

dkarrde@gmail.com wrote:
> [spoily]
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> [spoily]
> [spoily]
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> [spoily]
> [spoily]
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> [spoily]
> [spoily]
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> [spoily]
> [spoily]
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> [spoily]
>
> One of my most promising characters yet, a Gray Elf Archer, has
gotten
> to DL40. I have four rings of djinni summoning in reserve, a ring
shop
> on DL24 which I can farm for more if I really need them, and 10 days
> left on the corruption timer, with no current corruptions and 5
scrolls
> of chaos resistance in reserve (saved Khelly). Equipment includes
7LB,
> GoGS, and all the wishable goodies. No particularly good artifacts
> (thunderstroke, barf). Eternium equipment, including platemail and
> weapons, though I'm currently using the ancient mummy wrapping for
> security against deathrays.
>
> Problem is... I just ran into a big-arse horde (10x10 or more) of
> quickling queens on DL40, sitting on and blocking the staircase down.
> I killed one of them, then quickly (heh) teleported myself back out
and
> to DL39.
>
> I've heard hordes of these are incredibly dangerous, so I'm going to
> ask for advice on fighting them before I continue and risk this very,
> very promising U*E candidate.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Dkarrde

:u
[a] 3 uncursed lumps of bee wax
Do you want to plug you ears (Y/N) y
:u
[a] 4 blessed rings of djinni summoning
What do you wish for? Banshee

Not sure if it works. Wanted to banshee the quickling
tree once, but never got around to do it.

maddog@dsr.kvl.dk wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>Problem is... I just ran into a big-arse horde (10x10 or more) of
>>quickling queens on DL40, sitting on and blocking the staircase down.
>>I killed one of them, then quickly (heh) teleported myself back out
>
> and
>
>>to DL39.
>>
>>I've heard hordes of these are incredibly dangerous, so I'm going to
>>ask for advice on fighting them before I continue and risk this very,
>>very promising U*E candidate.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>-Dkarrde
>

> :u
> [a] 3 uncursed lumps of bee wax
> Do you want to plug you ears (Y/N) y
> :u
> [a] 4 blessed rings of djinni summoning
> What do you wish for? Banshee
>
> Not sure if it works. Wanted to banshee the quickling
> tree once, but never got around to do it.

Hm, I never would have thought of that. Worth a try, I suppose (assuming
you have any beeswax lying around). I think I used the static banshee to
kill a quickling queen in a mixed vault once.

If that doesn't work, try reading a scroll of familiar summoning. I
think DH:2 is still your best bet if you can't get past D:40, although
it would be an ungodly pain to lure the thing down there. In fact, you'd
better have a couple companions, because, even if they're immune to the
poison (say, like a diamond golem), they'd probably get wasted
eventually by all the little flying fists (or whatever) of fury.

Try using webs. Don't expect three or four to hold a single quickling
queen for long, though; you need to find a very long corridor. Create
webs, teleport back a bit, create more, repeat. Then fire your arrows
like there's no tomorrow. Fire Berserkedly, but keep an eye on your LOS;
as soon as a quickling queen enters it, back away.

Very high effectivity bolt spells are ideal, but I doubt you've got any.
Quickling queens, especially horders that are likely to be very high
level, have an annoying shrugging tendency. Ball spells would solve
that, if that weren't a suicide mission.

For heaven's sake, though, remember to face one at a time max. Do not
waste time trying to melee them; as a high-level archer, you can fire
arrows much more quickly and for much higher accuracy and damage (in
general). Use locked doors to create safe havens; quickling queens can't
kick them down. In fact, if you do happen to have some ball spells and
you can manage to boost your Willpower to 32 or more, you can use a
locked door to blast them. The only problem here is that they have
another annoying tendency, the tendency to move around a lot. That, and
they panic. Not good, because they regenerate ultra-fast.

The best option, obviously, is to avoid dealing with them at all. Lock
up each staircase, use monster detection stuff to determine if they've
all cleared their room, then teleport over and lock it up. If some
haven't moved, then you're going to have to do the unpleasant thing and
rile them up (teleport in, teleport out, Cowardly, two shields, all
that). If you actually pull this off, don't spend time on the level at
all; you don't want something generated to come along and kick your
doors down.

Before trying any of my garbage suggestions, though, try maddog's. It
might seem a waste of a wish, but better to use a wish and survive than
to not use it and die.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst