Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 new install no icons or task bar

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Samsung
Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2012 10:05:19 PM

I purchased a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium yesterday together with a new Samsung 840 256GB SSD.

At first boot following the install and activation all appears great. Then the system recommended three driver upgrades for my video card and Samsung printer (and one other ??) and requested a restart. This was the begining of my nightmare. The following reboots had a windows screen saver page minus icons, task bar and start. Any attemps to Alt Ctrl Del returns a black screen. Any system reset brings out the safe mode option.

Any syggestions would be appreciated. Happy new Year nnot so for me :-(

Rhk

More about : windows install icons task bar

a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 10:08:41 PM

Try safe mode ...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 12:48:18 AM

rhkw_au said:
I purchased a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium yesterday together with a new Samsung 840 256GB SSD.

At first boot following the install and activation all appears great. Then the system recommended three driver upgrades for my video card and Samsung printer (and one other ??) and requested a restart. This was the begining of my nightmare. The following reboots had a windows screen saver page minus icons, task bar and start. Any attemps to Alt Ctrl Del returns a black screen. Any system reset brings out the safe mode option.

Any syggestions would be appreciated. Happy new Year nnot so for me :-(

Rhk

Are we sure the driver update didn't inflate your screen resolution? When you are doing ctrl+alt+del, it may be pushing the resolution setting beyond what can be viewed by the monitor thus giving you the black screen. If you force a computer down, it will prompt to enter safe mode to attempt to fix a issue.

In addition to trying to go Safe Mode (like Brett mentioned) you can also try booting into VGA mode and see if everything shows up.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 1:05:13 AM

hedwar2011 said:
Are we sure the driver update didn't inflate your screen resolution? When you are doing ctrl+alt+del, it may be pushing the resolution setting beyond what can be viewed by the monitor thus giving you the black screen. If you force a computer down, it will prompt to enter safe mode to attempt to fix a issue.

In addition to trying to go Safe Mode (like Brett mentioned) you can also try booting into VGA mode and see if everything shows up.

+1
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:40:43 PM

hedwar2011 said:

Thanks, hedwar2011,

I have tried re-setting the the screen. I also tried removing the DVI/HDMI cable before reboot. When that failed I tried repairing Windows using the original disk but the software could not detect any issues. Before that, I even tried setting the display to my large Samsung LED using the PC's DVI output to the TV HDMI input to check if the Start, Task Bar, and Icons have been cut off from the sides of my smaller 23 inch Samsung display. The display on the large TV was exactly the same on a larger scale.

A test install (Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu) on my older Cosair 120GB SSD produced the same results for Windows 7 (No icons, Task Bar + Start) but the Ubuntu install displayed everything I needed to make it work.

I am not given up so any ideas/suggestions will be most welcome.

Regards,

Ron

Thanks all the same for your suggestions.

m
l
!