L1 Bridges and the Duron...

G

Hey Y'all...
I've read a lot about connecting the Duron 800's L1 bridges. What exactly does this do? WHat happens if you attempt to overclock it if they are left unconnected? And finally, (I'll ask it again) is a pencil okay to use to connect them, or should I use a conductive pen or a "sharpened" piece of solder rubbed on there cold... ???
If I use a pencil, is there any danger of it shorting out or rubbing off? If it does short out/rub off, what would happen???

Thanks a lot...

--Mundele

G

All new Duron and T'bird cpu chips are multiplier locked, and the only way to overclock then is to raise the FSB frequency. By connecting the L1 bridges, you unlock the multiplier, and have the ability to increase the multiplier IF your mobo has switches or bios provisions for this.
A copper conductive pen is best for this, the kind used for PC board repairs, although a pencil will also work. A magnifying glass is helpful when attempting this. Take care when connecting, as shorts to adjacent bridges may damage the chip. There are several websites around that detail the proceedure.

Andy