Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps restarting during load screen (Help!)

Last response: in Windows 7
January 1, 2013 3:44:08 AM

Hello all,

Been snooping around these forums forever, and have finally run into a problem that I couldn't find an answer to.

To start from the beginning:

I have a Dell desktop.

A couple days ago I tried loading a game from my start menu, and it said something along the lines of "Can't load, folder doesn't exist". The game was in my D drive (where most of my games are installed), and when I went to check what was up my D drive wasn't in "My Computer". This is when I got my first uneasy feeling that something might be going down. I dismissed the issue as a "I'll figure it out later" and continued to surf the internet/play a game installed on my C drive.

I hadn't turned my PC off in several days, so before I went to bed I shut my computer down. When I went to boot up this morning it made it all the way to the windows loading screen, and then rebooted itself. It has kept looping over and over until I shut it down manually. So many of the help posts I've read ask for the minidump, but I cannot get into safe mode, so I don't know what other information I can give pertaining to the problem.

I'm not particularly attached to any files on the HD, so if a reinstall should fix this up(if it's a virus?) then I'll happily do so.

What I've tried:

Dell diagnostics tool: No problems found
Repair: BSOD
Safe mode (any option): Keeps rebooting
Pulled out HDD, RAM, dusted everything: No avail

I was gifted this computer a couple months ago, and my uncle did not include the windows disk with it. How stuck am I without one? Are there ways for a not so computer savvy person to legally obtain one without buying a new copy of windows?

I know the basics of most computer trouble shooting, but running through everything I know has gotten me no where.

Should I try to find a local PC repair shop and just suck and up and pay them to do it? Should a windows CD and a fresh install hopefully solve my woes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Rob
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 4:01:30 AM

I would try to get a diagnostic run on the hard drive from another system. If you had file requests redirected to the hard drive and it failed. you may have problems booting windows.

First and foremost you should check the drive in another system. Get a friend to try it if you can.
Failing that you can burn something like UBCD of Hirens boot cd and run some hard drive scans from it(these CD's have good test utilities from the drive makers them selves). do NOT WRITE ZEROS TO THE DRIVE as that will erase it.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

As long as you have your COA sticker on the system. You should have a KEY for windows listed on it you can download and burn a new Windows DVD(Win7) here. If you have another version of windows, you may be able to find an image for it as well.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...

EDIT.

Did you get a number for the blue screen?
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:47:09 AM

Thanks a ton for the quick response!

I have an old PC sitting in the closet I'll get out. Forgive the ignorance here, but I would just pull the drive out of this PC and plug it into the old PC, if it starts up and loads windows fine then the issue must not be the drive itself?

I don't have any blank CDs, but my wife's laptop has a burner so I'll buy some blank ones as soon as the stores open tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure I found the CoA sticker. Has a model number and product key? If that's the case it's a Window Vista Ultimate, any tips on where I can find an installation CD online to burn? And please forgive the questions here, but is that product key the one I would use to register windows after it's installed?

As for the blue screen, it only happens when I select the "Repair" option after pressing F8 from the boot screen. Any other options (loading safe mode etc) caus the PC to simply reboot itself each time.

Not sure which part of the message number you're wanting, but I'll post what looks to be the important parts:

ntfs,sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF980206C5A68, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88001D3FAE4, 0x0000000000000002)

*** ntfs.sys - Address FFFFF88001D3FAE4 base at FFFFF8801c37000, DateStamp 4a5bc14f

Thanks again for any responses!
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 12:55:52 PM

If the old system has an operating system, you can place the hard drive(not SSD) from the current system into it and run a scan in windows with the hard drive makers software Or HD tune(you do not need the pro version, if you try the demo, do NOT run a write test benchmark as it erases drives, You are after the error scan) has a good scanner built in as well.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

You should be able to burn(Vista is big and NEEDS a dvd, not cd) it from here OR use a flash drive to make a copy bootable on it. Please note this will erase the flash drive.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

I have used the same instructions to make a copy of Vista 32 bit since I only have the DVD for 64-bit. Just in case I ever need it.

If you get to make a diagnostic CD, it may not be a bad idea to run memtest86+ overnight on the bluescreened system as well(your error can be related to memory as well). It also never hurts to try to remove the memory sticks and try placing just one back in and see if you boot any further.

The SSD can be installed into the second system and you can use something like CrystalDiskInfo to check out the health status of it as well.

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

I use "Portable Edition (zip)"

When you add drives to the old system, it may try to boot from the new drive, if it does, just never the bios and change the boot order(check the manual for the board if you have it handy.).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 1:01:24 PM

your best bet with an os that old is look on ebay for people that are selling there old set of restore cd.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 1:11:20 PM

business_rob said:
Thanks a ton for the quick response!

I have an old PC sitting in the closet I'll get out. Forgive the ignorance here, but I would just pull the drive out of this PC and plug it into the old PC, if it starts up and loads windows fine then the issue must not be the drive itself?

I don't have any blank CDs, but my wife's laptop has a burner so I'll buy some blank ones as soon as the stores open tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure I found the CoA sticker. Has a model number and product key? If that's the case it's a Window Vista Ultimate, any tips on where I can find an installation CD online to burn? And please forgive the questions here, but is that product key the one I would use to register windows after it's installed?

As for the blue screen, it only happens when I select the "Repair" option after pressing F8 from the boot screen. Any other options (loading safe mode etc) caus the PC to simply reboot itself each time.

Not sure which part of the message number you're wanting, but I'll post what looks to be the important parts:

ntfs,sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF980206C5A68, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88001D3FAE4, 0x0000000000000002)

*** ntfs.sys - Address FFFFF88001D3FAE4 base at FFFFF8801c37000, DateStamp 4a5bc14f

Thanks again for any responses!

I'm with nukemaster on this one in regards to running the HDD diagnostics either from hdtune or the hirens CD that he mentioned.

It also should be noted that you are getting a blue screen error relating to ntfs.sys (sometimes they give you the problem file) which is a main OS file and how the drive is formatted. Kind of makes me wonder if something has trashed the partition tables on the drive.

Do as recommended first, and if that doesn't turn up anything, let us know and we can go further BEFORE you reinstall (unless you just really want to) :) 

m
l
January 1, 2013 4:39:04 PM

Alright, so in just a little bit I'll be going out to buy some blank CDs, will burn then HDD checks onto them and come home.

The issue with my old PC is that it can only go into safe mode(and with networkin), and BSODs when trying to get to windows. It's an older PC that I just stuck in the closet for any "in case" moments. Would I still be able to scan my other HD with just safe mode + networking?

The other thing, you said not to just plug my SSD into the old rig like I would my hard drive? Am I understanding that right? I have windows installed on a smaller SSD(C:) , and then the majority of my files on a 500gb older hard drive (D:) 

If I can't get my old PC to cooperate then I'll head over to my brothers house and use him PC, so this next part could take a while.

I'm wondering if I do have to reinstall windows if I might be best just to go get the cheapest copy of windows 7 I can find. I appreciate you linking me to that vista website, but I think I'll mess up on the process more times than it would be worth. Plus I think being a student gets you a discount somewhere.

I'll report back as soon as those steps are completed, thanks again everyone!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 6:41:51 PM

business_rob said:
Alright, so in just a little bit I'll be going out to buy some blank CDs, will burn then HDD checks onto them and come home.

The issue with my old PC is that it can only go into safe mode(and with networkin), and BSODs when trying to get to windows. It's an older PC that I just stuck in the closet for any "in case" moments. Would I still be able to scan my other HD with just safe mode + networking?

The other thing, you said not to just plug my SSD into the old rig like I would my hard drive? Am I understanding that right? I have windows installed on a smaller SSD(C:) , and then the majority of my files on a 500gb older hard drive (D:) 

If I can't get my old PC to cooperate then I'll head over to my brothers house and use him PC, so this next part could take a while.

I'm wondering if I do have to reinstall windows if I might be best just to go get the cheapest copy of windows 7 I can find. I appreciate you linking me to that vista website, but I think I'll mess up on the process more times than it would be worth. Plus I think being a student gets you a discount somewhere.

I'll report back as soon as those steps are completed, thanks again everyone!

As far as the older PC getting into Safe Mode and it will BSOD when trying to go into Normal mode, that could simply be something starting when Windows does that is causing it to BSOD as you're able to get into Safe Mode w/ no hiccup.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

As for being able to burn a CD/DVD from within Safe Mode, not usually, because it's a "Safe" mode and it doesn't consider burning media a priority on it's list of things to turn off.
m
l
!