Articles & News
Graphics & Displays
Tom's IT Pro
Login | Sign Up
The authority on tech
Laptop Tech Support
Nov 8, 2010, 2:17 PM
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop?
At least Starcraft 2 in medium. If ever, Guild Wars 2 and/or Diablo 3.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years pref.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any brand will do
13. What country do you live in?
Nov 11, 2010
Nov 8, 2010, 2:48 PM
You won't find a gaming laptop with that much battery life, is 3-4hrs fine ?
Nov 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
3-4 hours would be fine. Actually, I'm not exactly buying a laptop just for the games. I was looking for a machine that i could use when traveling abroad with the occasional gaming on the side.
I was actually considering buying a MBP 15" i5.
Laptop suggestion needed please
New Laptop Advice
I am buying my first laptop and need advice
Need suggestions for laptop to buy
Advice on new laptop
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Get the answer
Nov 9, 2010, 7:34 AM
MBP 15" is fine then.It has a GT 330M that can handle SC2 fine on medium settings with about 4-6hrs of battery life.
Nov 9, 2010, 9:26 AM
though... could you suggest another alternative. I like to weigh my options.
Also, I'm kind of reluctant to buy an MBP 15" because of some software changes and a refresh is most likely in the works.
Nov 9, 2010, 9:51 AM
Another option would be HP Envy 14
Nov 9, 2010, 1:21 PM
Is it true that HP units have heating issues..
Nov 9, 2010, 1:34 PM
Yes.... but it all depends on the model you get
Nov 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
sorry to bump this thread but...
why didn't you guys mention the Sony Vaio Z? does it have any problems....
Nov 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
It will have overheating problems if you customize it with an i7 CPU;furthermore, its not a gaming laptop.(Its quite expensive too)
Ask a new question
Help buying laptop
Buying first laptop,600$
Advice for a portable work/gaming laptop
Yet another "Can you help me pick out a laptop or notebook
Need help on buying gaming laptop
I need a laptop for under $700
Portable Gaming Laptop
Power User Laptop
Subscribe to our newsletter
icon arrow stem circle
About Tom's Hardware
Licensing and Reprints
Other Purch sites
© 2018 Purch All Rights Reserved.