Sign in with
Your question

the perfect christmas present

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2000 4:31:29 PM

I decide to make my dad a christmas present. he was looking for multimedia and office stuff over gaming.

-P3 1000 MHz - cooled by GOLDEN ORB
-Chaintech CT-6VJD2(ddr mobo)took alot of time to get it
-256mb ddr @200mhz - micron - took a long time too
-80gb 7200rpm ata100
-LS120 floppy
-12x dvd
-8x4x32 cd-rw
-ATI RADEON 32mb ddr
-sound blaster live! mp3+ 5.1
-WinTV-PVR
-PYRO BasicDV (firewire)
-3com 10/100 ethernet + 3com cable modem
-microsoft intelli mouse optical usb + microsoft natural keyboard
-ibm 17in monitor
-creative PC works! speakers
-lexmark z42
-midsize matx case 300w

software
-win98 and win2k
-office 2000 and staroffice 5.2
-corel draw 9
-and alot of software for the install disk for the hardware i got.

its is all configured and ready to rock!

sweat system or what

More about : perfect christmas present

December 3, 2000 7:47:12 PM

Yeah its a sweet system but whats with the P3? I mean you can get a Thunderbird 1.2 for the same price... I would never buy a P3. The last intel chip I got was a Celeron 366 that I have at 580. Now I have a Duron and an Thunderbird system. I just dont understand why anyone would go for a P3... I mean are they brain dead? Thats all I can come up with. If I was to make a high end workstation or small server then and only then would I get the P3 but only because I would run two of them.
Soup.

AMD for Life!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2000 7:52:09 PM

ugh! pairing a DDR motherboard with a P3.....what a waste of good bandwidth!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2000 9:38:12 PM

Might as well bought him a plane ticket to Hawaii.
December 4, 2000 12:57:51 AM

LOL
December 4, 2000 2:19:26 PM

hey if you got it for free you would take. besides he has a 486 now and i though it would be a nice think a nice upgrade. in this forum eveyone bashes people too much
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2000 3:56:21 PM

Sounds like a great system! True the AMD system may be a little cheaper but in a few months it won't matter as everybody looks at current prices and thinks they paid too much. It will be "obsolete" in a couple years either way. Most people feel more comfortable with Intel inside anyway since they have name recognition and a (mostly) solid reputation. I recommend you get a killer game to go along with the computer to show off its power as most of the hardware you described will not shine when surfing the web.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2000 8:01:36 PM

Sounds like a nice system. It is nice you are giving that to your dad. Some people here need to get in the Christmas spirit! I to am an AMD owner and fan, but would never bash Intel. All of us have owned plenty of Intel systems in the past and probaly will again soon. As long as the price is right.......... I am building my old parts into 2 systems for my little brother and my grand dad. It will be both of their first computers. I cant wait to see their faces.

Travis
December 5, 2000 1:22:50 AM

Excuse me, but making helpful suggestions isn't "bashing" in my dictionary.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2000 8:26:54 AM

well..... atleast your Lexmark printer has AMD inside (RISC processor). Very nice system! I have to agree with the majority here though. You should have saved a bundle of $$$ and gone with a T-bird setup. The performance difference would have not been noticable. If you are an Intel fan, you could have taken the difference in price and bought yourself a wad of Intel stock :-)

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Quote:
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain

December 5, 2000 1:54:21 PM

IM GLAD THE HOLIDAYS ARE COMING AND IM IN A GOOD MOOD (CAUSE OF ONLINE SHOPPING I DONT HAVE TO GO TO THE MALL :^)

ONE OTHER THING I NOTICE THE NEW DURONS WILL ONLY HAVE L1 64KB L2 64KB THATS ONLY 128K THE CELERON HAS MORE THEN THAT.

THE SECOND THING IS I WANT A BIG CACHE PROCESSOR ATLEAST 512K. COME ON AMD AND INTEL 256K IS NOT ALOT.
December 5, 2000 7:04:46 PM

Oooh the Celeron has like 2kb more cache! Look at the benchmarks..... the Duron is 20-40% faster clock for clock.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2000 11:09:08 AM

P3 with DDR memory ??!!
i prefer Alpha heatsink.
get a 350W or 400W ps is better.
RADEON...
why install office2k along with staroffice ?

DDR north bridge have bug(s) and being halt shipping these days...

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2000 12:37:26 PM

The Celeron has the same cache as the P3 but most of it is disabled......

one of the first UK T-Bird users....
!