Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Satellite keyboard and touchpad don't work

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 9, 2010 2:18:08 AM

Hello,

Strange problem, I wonder if any of you have come across this. I've got a friend with a Toshiba L305D-S5934. Occasionally the touchpad and keyboard become completely inoperable while the laptop is in use (a USB mouse will work, however). Oddly enough though, if you let the laptop hibernate, after it "thaws" the keyboard works again.

Laptop has been restored to a previous save, no dice. Device drivers have been replaced and reinstalled, registry has been cleaned... I'm stumped and looking to avoid completely reinstalling Vista.

Thoughts?
July 4, 2012 3:36:25 AM

Hi Catalyst009,

I too have a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It is a slightly different model. (L305D-S5974)

I was in the process of projecting the display onto a wide screen tv. I hit the windows option "Display from Projector only". When I did that I couldn't see the mouse anymore on the screen. Looked on the widescreen tv and no mouse either. tried a hard reboot. And like you only way the pointer will work is with an external mouse. Touch pad don't work anymore.

I tried: Scan Disk option, Repairing Driver, Reinstalling Driver, Restore point also, Device hardware restore under F8 Diagnostic Tools and finally factory restore since I had no data i cared about. After it restored to factory out of box. Touch pad still didn't work. So I'm in the same boot now. Still looking for a solution. Berly started today 7/3/2012. I have Windows 7 though.

Did you ever find a solution to the mouse pad issue? Noticed you voiced your complaint in 2010.

Michael
m
l
April 28, 2013 7:34:35 AM

Experiencing the same thing with my A505 Satellite. Randomly, the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive, but then start working again, for no reason (no changes to system)
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2013 4:34:40 PM

I have the same problem. Thanks for the posts, is reassuring to hear it that it's a real problem.
My Satilite S0t-A is brand new, like weeks old. I too have little data so its going right back to the manufacturer under the warranty.
Solutions are all very well and I plan to try the ones suggested but at the end of the day, a device should be fit for purpose.

Mike
m
l
October 16, 2013 4:43:26 PM

See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun
m
l
April 11, 2014 12:18:20 AM

Lunatasian said:
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

m
l
April 11, 2014 12:19:49 AM

Thanks Lun...your method really worked for me....awesome...
m
l
!