Age of Empires from behind a Router

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My problem is I can connect to an Age of Empires room on zone.com but when
the game is started (via the room host) Age of Empires loads up and the
"connecting" screen displays for a minute or 2 and then I receive an error
saying "Could not connect to the game". That happens or the other time is
upon Age of Empires loading up, I connect to the active game but if I do not
join the active game, last, then the players who join after me appear to not
have a screen name and the host cannot start the game because of me, so
ultimately I end up getting kicked (understandably).
I have done research about this problem and asked around, and I have found
this problem is due to the fact my computer is on a LAN (6 computers) which
connects to the internet via a router. I have been told the problem I am
having can be sorted by connecting to the internet via Windows NT Server
2003 and setting up ports for each computer so that the internet will see
the computers on the lan as individual entities.

My question to you good people is this, are my sources correct and using
Windows NT Server 2003 the way to fix this game's problem?
If yes please can I be directed to somewhere that will educate me as to
how the port redirecting is acomplished..
If no please do you know another means of fixing this problem? a patch
or anything.

Much thanks in advanced,
DaGr8N.

What make/model router are you using?

"Neil" <da_gr8_n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My problem is I can connect to an Age of Empires room on zone.com but when
> the game is started (via the room host) Age of Empires loads up and the
> "connecting" screen displays for a minute or 2 and then I receive an error
> saying "Could not connect to the game". That happens or the other time is
> upon Age of Empires loading up, I connect to the active game but if I do
> not join the active game, last, then the players who join after me appear
> to not have a screen name and the host cannot start the game because of
> me, so ultimately I end up getting kicked (understandably).
> I have done research about this problem and asked around, and I have found
> this problem is due to the fact my computer is on a LAN (6 computers)
> which connects to the internet via a router. I have been told the problem
> I am having can be sorted by connecting to the internet via Windows NT
> Server 2003 and setting up ports for each computer so that the internet
> will see the computers on the lan as individual entities.
>
> My question to you good people is this, are my sources correct and using
> Windows NT Server 2003 the way to fix this game's problem?
> If yes please can I be directed to somewhere that will educate me as to
> how the port redirecting is acomplished..
> If no please do you know another means of fixing this problem? a patch
> or anything.
>

> Much thanks in advanced,
> DaGr8N.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"
Instant Broadband Series
Etherfast Cable / DSL Router
Model BEFSR41
"

"+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message
> What make/model router are you using?
>

> "Neil" <da_gr8_n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My problem is I can connect to an Age of Empires room on zone.com but
>> when the game is started (via the room host) Age of Empires loads up and
>> the "connecting" screen displays for a minute or 2 and then I receive an
>> error saying "Could not connect to the game". That happens or the other
>> time is upon Age of Empires loading up, I connect to the active game but
>> if I do not join the active game, last, then the players who join after
>> me appear to not have a screen name and the host cannot start the game
>> because of me, so ultimately I end up getting kicked (understandably).
>> I have done research about this problem and asked around, and I have
>> found this problem is due to the fact my computer is on a LAN (6
>> computers) which connects to the internet via a router. I have been told
>> the problem I am having can be sorted by connecting to the internet via
>> Windows NT Server 2003 and setting up ports for each computer so that the
>> internet will see the computers on the lan as individual entities.
>>
>> My question to you good people is this, are my sources correct and using
>> Windows NT Server 2003 the way to fix this game's problem?
>> If yes please can I be directed to somewhere that will educate me as
>> to how the port redirecting is acomplished..
>> If no please do you know another means of fixing this problem? a patch
>> or anything.
>>

>> Much thanks in advanced,
>> DaGr8N.

ok heres what you need to do..

I take it yr using xp so firstly click start and select run .. in the run
dialog box that appears type in cmd then click ok
then in the dos window that opened up type in ipconfig and then press
enter... (if yr not using xp click start and select run .. in the run
dialog box that opens up type in winipcfg then click ok)
make a note of yr local IP Address shown for use later and then type the
default gateway address (normally http://192.168.1.1) into yr browsers
address bar and click go..

in the window that appears enter yr login information, by default the
username is blank and the password is admin

click on the "Applications & Gaming" button and then click on "Port Range
Forward"

in *Application* enter (type in) DX8

then 'Start Port' 6073 'End Port' 6073 'Protocol' UDP

in the 'IP Address' field enter the final three digits of your local ip
address and then check the 'Enable' box..

next: 'Application' enter DX7

'Start Port' 47624 'End Port 47624 'Protocol' BOTH

in the 'IP Address' field enter the final three digits of your local ip
address and then check the 'Enable' box..

finally 'Application' enter DX7/8

'Start Port' 2300 'End Port' 2400 'Protocol' BOTH

enter the final three digits of your local ip address and then check the
"Enable" box..

click 'apply' or 'Save Settings' and you should be ready to play

> "
> Instant Broadband Series
> Etherfast Cable / DSL Router
> Model BEFSR41
> "
>
> "+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message
>> What make/model router are you using?
>>

>> "Neil" <da_gr8_n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> My problem is I can connect to an Age of Empires room on zone.com but
>>> when the game is started (via the room host) Age of Empires loads up and
>>> the "connecting" screen displays for a minute or 2 and then I receive an
>>> error saying "Could not connect to the game". That happens or the other
>>> time is upon Age of Empires loading up, I connect to the active game but
>>> if I do not join the active game, last, then the players who join after
>>> me appear to not have a screen name and the host cannot start the game
>>> because of me, so ultimately I end up getting kicked (understandably).
>>> I have done research about this problem and asked around, and I have
>>> found this problem is due to the fact my computer is on a LAN (6
>>> computers) which connects to the internet via a router. I have been told
>>> the problem I am having can be sorted by connecting to the internet via
>>> Windows NT Server 2003 and setting up ports for each computer so that
>>> the internet will see the computers on the lan as individual entities.
>>>
>>> My question to you good people is this, are my sources correct and using
>>> Windows NT Server 2003 the way to fix this game's problem?
>>> If yes please can I be directed to somewhere that will educate me as
>>> to how the port redirecting is acomplished..
>>> If no please do you know another means of fixing this problem? a
>>> patch or anything.
>>>

>>> Much thanks in advanced,
>>> DaGr8N.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thankyou ReverendJJ :D :D :D :D :D :D, I followed your instructions and
although the menu structure was slightly different, your instructions were
perfect and acomplished exactly what I wanted! :D :D :D I don't know how I
can thankyou enough :D. It worked almost too well in the fact it only lets 1
computer play AOE online, but still 1 computer is better than 0! :D
Now I'm gonna work on getting my other comps online, I'll check out the
topic "Can 2 PCs with same IP connect to zone?".

Thankyou again, Reverend :D
Neil.

> ok heres what you need to do..
>
> I take it yr using xp so firstly click start and select run .. in the run
> dialog box that appears type in cmd then click ok
> then in the dos window that opened up type in ipconfig and then press
> enter... (if yr not using xp click start and select run .. in the run
> dialog box that opens up type in winipcfg then click ok)
> make a note of yr local IP Address shown for use later and then type the
> default gateway address (normally http://192.168.1.1) into yr browsers
> address bar and click go..
>
> in the window that appears enter yr login information, by default the
> username is blank and the password is admin
>
> click on the "Applications & Gaming" button and then click on "Port Range
> Forward"
>
> in *Application* enter (type in) DX8
>
> then 'Start Port' 6073 'End Port' 6073 'Protocol' UDP
>
> in the 'IP Address' field enter the final three digits of your local ip
> address and then check the 'Enable' box..
>
> next: 'Application' enter DX7
>
> 'Start Port' 47624 'End Port 47624 'Protocol' BOTH
>
> in the 'IP Address' field enter the final three digits of your local ip
> address and then check the 'Enable' box..
>
> finally 'Application' enter DX7/8
>
> 'Start Port' 2300 'End Port' 2400 'Protocol' BOTH
>
> enter the final three digits of your local ip address and then check the
> "Enable" box..
>
> click 'apply' or 'Save Settings' and you should be ready to play
>

> "Neil" <da_gr8_n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "
>> Instant Broadband Series
>> Etherfast Cable / DSL Router
>> Model BEFSR41
>> "
>>
>> "+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message
>>> What make/model router are you using?
>>>

>>> "Neil" <da_gr8_n@hotmail.com> wrote in message

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks, we were having the same problem with Age of Mythology. It uses the same ports as AOE, I followed your instructions, and now we can play multiplayer. I wonder why AOE worked, but not AOM, we made sure the individual firewalls allowed the game.

TRENDING THREADS