Boot Loader Blues

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
I recently installed Redhat 8 and so far, I am liking it. One small issue, though. I installed a Kernal update through Redhat's updater (nice, BTW!) and now the GRUB boot loader shows two versions of Linux; the old kernal and the new one! I don't want to accidentally select the old one and stuff, but I am clueless about how to remove the unneeded selection. Anyone?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you really wanted to, just go into your /boot folder and delete the vmlinuz image that corresponds to the old kernel.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Silverpig, I noticed there's 2 files of each image, but with different looking icons (one pair is plain white, while the other pair has a rocket looking icon). Checking file properties, 2 are listed as being "binary programs", while the other 2 are "unknown type". Should I delete <b>both</b> of the older images (i.e., vmlinux-2.4.18.14 "binary program" & vmlinux-2.4.18.14 "unknown file type"? If only one, which do I delete?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd innocent intel proven guilty

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Both. But don't take my word for it. Just rename them by adding a .old to the file name. If you find that you get errors, you can always just chop off the .old extension.

IIRC the binary file is the actual kernel, and the "unknown type" is the image, but that could just be me talking out of my ass.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.