[yet another tripped circuit] Oh fiddlesticks.

Spoily? I suppose.

Well that was annoying.

I had a decent drakish mindcrafter going. I made an early executive
decision to chance quarterstaves as my main weapon in the game. I
started with a decent (+2, 1d10+2) one. After ducking into the SMC and
quickly exhausting my PP, I went to the ID to level up and train my
weapon skills. I gathered up crude knives to throw around, and I relied
on them heavily; in fact, my Thrown Knives skill was usually higher than
Staves at that point. I stayed in the ID for quite a long time, up until
at least experience level 8, training my weapons skills and gathering
junk. My staff got blown somewhere; then my backup (turned out to be
cursed) got blown as well, so I got a sword on. I hadn't picked up any
shields though (they were all mediocre up to that point) so I began a
desperate hunt for a quarterstaff. And I found one (anticlimactic?). I
had a skill of about 7 by then, so I was getting good DV out of staves.

I began going through the VD just fine; then I encountered some white
worms on VD:6 while I was exploring. I tried killing them quickly, but
they wouldn't go down easily. Finally I killed the ones I could see and
began checking the level for more. The situation was much worse than I
had anticipated.

About 270 white worms later, I had to leave the level. They were still
inexperienced at that point, but I couldn't get to the downstairs, and
even if I could, I wouldn't be able to lead Yrrigs up to the healer. I
needed to do a lot more damage quickly; my current vanilla staff and
mindcraft were not going to do it. Acid spit was out of the equation, as
I could only carry so many rations at a time. I went to the PC, cleared
it all except the ants, bought Detect Traps, and allowed myself then to
change to Lawful.

I realized that, if I could get the wand of teleportation out of the
VDD, charge it up with booze, and loot Darkforge, I could probably find
a very, very nice quarterstaff in there. I reckoned if I was lucky
enough to find a quicksilver staff, I'd be able to clear those worms
more effectively, get my Healing and have that down for the drakish
Tower assault. (Damn, I realized while I was typing that sentence that I
could have used a potion of healing to get the skill. Shoot.)

My big pile of orcish knives had gotten rusted, so, seeing as I had yet
to find an altar for precrowning anyway, I decided to go down to
Dwarftown and visit Glod, si be damned. I'd try to ID my equipment and
see if I have anything suitable for dealing with the VDD and getting the
wand. I killed a troll and got my ID. I was level 13 by then, and I had
discovered I was carrying, among other things, an orcish knife of
devastation. I don't know why, at the time, I thought that would be good
for DF, but apparently I did, so I began training it.

Around this time, I was going to make myself a grilled cheese sandwich.
I put the mess in my toaster oven (my real oven doesn't work) and I turn
the thing on. I could hear the whirr of the landlady's vacuum cleaner
upstairs.

So I slay a kobold above Dwarftown with the knife, and my screen goes
blank. The lights go out. My sandwich sits ungrilled and the vac is
inaudible. My alarm clock dies. The lights in the back of the apartment
dies. In the kitchen and bedroom everything is working fine. Apparently
there's a rather odd configuration in this house.

Landlady is at my door, asking me to flip the breaker switch. I grab a
penlight, go find the box, flip the switch, get my oven going again, and
reboot the machine to find a bunch of useless files in the tmpdat folder.

This was actually a fun character going here. Now I better understand
why people bother backing up their characters.

I'm going to bed.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst

Kamil Burzynski wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:57:35 -0500
> Josh Singh <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote:
>
> > Spoily? I suppose.

> > I could only carry so many rations at a time. I went to the PC,
> cleared
> > it all except the ants, bought Detect Traps, and allowed myself
then
> > change to Lawful.
>
> I've recently figured out that you can buy some skills, but how do
you
> change alignment quickly? Personally I prefer L characters at start
and
> during whole game I'm just doing lawful acts in order to be L+ at
> dwarftown. Recently I've found that sacrificing baddies even on white
> altar may change my alignment towards L+ - yummy... is this the
method
> you use? I'm spending all the money sacrificing to get alignment and
god
> attention - which is probably a huge waste of perfectly good gold
> coins.. am I right? :)
>
> > Tower assault. (Damn, I realized while I was typing that sentence
that
> > could have used a potion of healing to get the skill. Shoot.)
>
> To get healing from potion of healing? how? must it be blessed when
> dring? throw it to yourself (if it is possible at all)?
>
> > This was actually a fun character going here. Now I better
understand
> > why people bother backing up their characters.
>
> Yeah, I've once (maybe a year ago or so) get a decent characters (as
for
> my low standards :D), when some bug was triggered - i tried to throw
> rock at some monster, but aiming system went weird and a immediate
crash
> happened - temp files were useful only to rm command then :(
>
> --
> Best regards from
> Kamil Burzynski
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
To get L+ fast, lure the sheriff to Lawenilothl and he'll give you an
amulet of order.

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:32:47 +0100, Kamil Burzynski wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:57:35 -0500
> Josh Singh <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote:
>
>> Spoily? I suppose.

>> I could only carry so many rations at a time. I went to the PC,
> cleared
>> it all except the ants, bought Detect Traps, and allowed myself then
>> change to Lawful.
>
> I've recently figured out that you can buy some skills, but how do you
> change alignment quickly? Personally I prefer L characters at start and
> during whole game I'm just doing lawful acts in order to be L+ at

If you're playing a character with ventriloquism or another way to
confuse, then confuse some people in terinyo until one attacks and kill
them. The town doesn't become hostile in that case, and you get a nice
alignment drop. Instant NL alignment (or lower if you prefer).

Kamil Burzynski wrote:

> Josh Singh wrote:
>
>> Spoily? I suppose.

>> I could only carry so many rations at a time. I went to the PC,
> cleared
>> it all except the ants, bought Detect Traps, and allowed myself then
>> change to Lawful.
>
> I've recently figured out that you can buy some skills, but how do you
> change alignment quickly? Personally I prefer L characters at start and
> during whole game I'm just doing lawful acts in order to be L+ at
> dwarftown. Recently I've found that sacrificing baddies even on white
> altar may change my alignment towards L+ - yummy... is this the method
> you use? I'm spending all the money sacrificing to get alignment and god
> attention - which is probably a huge waste of perfectly good gold
> coins.. am I right? :)

Especially in the beginning to get lawful is very easy if you sac items on
a lawful altar, monsters often cause the altar to change its alignment, at
least if you are under lvl6. I wouldn't waste money at all if you just
want to get L+.

>> Tower assault. (Damn, I realized while I was typing that sentence that I
>> could have used a potion of healing to get the skill. Shoot.)
>
> To get healing from potion of healing? how? must it be blessed when
> dring? throw it to yourself (if it is possible at all)?

The only way I know is by using the doc in the Village Dungeon, to satisfy
him you must either bring him the fool from some levels below or heal
monsters with potions/spells (they do have to be injured!). When drinking
a PoEH you gain some hp if you are not injured (Normally it's a complete
waste to do so).

--
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
-- Oscar Wilde

rgra bug list: http://adombugs.100free.com/

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:51:17 +0100
xhoch3 <xhoch3@safe-mail.net> wrote:

> Kamil Burzynski wrote:
>
> > Josh Singh wrote:
> >
> >> Spoily? I suppose.

> Especially in the beginning to get lawful is very easy if you sac items on
> a lawful altar, monsters often cause the altar to change its alignment, at
> least if you are under lvl6. I wouldn't waste money at all if you just
> want to get L+.

I definitely have to take a closer look to altars and alignment issues..
:)

> > To get healing from potion of healing? how? must it be blessed when
> > dring? throw it to yourself (if it is possible at all)?
> >

> The only way I know is by using the doc in the Village Dungeon, to satisfy
> him you must either bring him the fool from some levels below or heal

Yes, this is my usual way of learning Healing.

> monsters with potions/spells (they do have to be injured!). When drinking
> a PoEH you gain some hp if you are not injured (Normally it's a complete
> waste to do so).

I've noticed that. Just from previous posts I understood, that it is
possible to learn Healing skill from those potions ;)

--
Best regards from
Kamil Burzynski