Desperately Seeking Intristic Fire Resistance

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2005 8:50:21 AM

I'm currently playing an extrodinarily promising Gray Elven Archer, that
other than one tiny issue, is doing awesomely. I've raided Darkforge,
collected all the Ratling fodder I need, finished the Tomb of the High
King, blazed through the dwarven graveyard, returned Blup to his mother,
have a ton of stat and gain attributes potions, as well as a pacified and
nicely growing big room. Due to pickpocketing, I also have a great
amount of holy water and scrolls of danger. The former will probably be
used soon to grant me even more herbs.

I have just one minor, minor difficulty.

My character has been completely and utterly unable to find intristic
fire resistance, without which I am clearly unable to take on the ToEF.
Extristic fire resistance and rings of ice have been easy, but I have
just not been able to find the proper corpses! I have drank every pool
dry, scummed the infinite dungeon and all cavernous levels (which are now
completely overtaken by breeders), and did everything I could to remedy
this. Quite simply, I'm stuck. Khelvaster is still in the Caverns of
Chaos, since I doubt those last few levels will help me at all in this
either, and I had hoped for either a wish or an amulet of life saving
while looking for the proper corpse. At this rate however, things don't
look good. I figure that once I've finally managed to finish the Tower
of Eternal Flames, I'll bite the bullet and kick the guy off, but I
really don't want to. Note that I've also dug up every Treasures grave,
with no luck.

The way I see it, I have the following options.

1. Wear the Crown of Science, and use the Fire immunity it grants me to
do the ToEF. While it's becoming the most likely option at this point,
trying to go through what is already a deathtrap while cursed and doomed
worries me.

2. Scum the ID or Tomb of the High Kings more, in hopes something
wonderful will happen. I've done this far too much already, and am quite
reluctant to continue. I'm not worried about corruption though.

3. Scum the dwarven halls, in hopes of a red dragon or fire giant corpse
that'll get me fire resistance. This choice has the plus side that it
gives good treasure, but it remains quite dangerous too.

4. Hop in and out of the ToEF, killing drakes, dragons, giants, and
other such creatures until one of them leaves a corpse, and I get fire
resistance from that. This option is somewhat attractive, but the high
amount of damage that I take in the tower makes it dangerous as well.
Moreover, it does take a lot of game time, as I have to leave the tower
in order to heal.

Do any of you have any other suggestions? One possibility that I'm
entertaining is using the Crown of Science in the ToEF during the first
few levels, in hopes that the increased monster generation because of the
dooming intristic combined with all the fiery monsters should finally
yield a corpse, after which I can remove the crown and ascend to the
highest part of the tower. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to
hear them.

Also, I haven't finished the Rift, Bug Temple, or Minotaur Maze, but I
just can't see that any of those locations are going to offer better
chances of fixing this situation than the above. I'm also a bit
reluctant to do the Bug Temple until after I finish the ToEF, and thus
don't need to focus so much on willpower.

---
Character Information
---

Brian St:20 Le:22 Wi:26 Dx:23 To:26 Ch:10 Ap: 8 Ma:21 Pe:20 L
DV/PV: 52/25 H: 179(264) P: 113(113) Exp: 21/890211 M: 139713

---
Weapon Skills
---

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required
marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- -------------
--------------
Unarmed fighting 6 +3 +2 +2 skilled 275

Probably from whenever I get disarmed and forget about it.
Inconvienently happened in the pyramid.

Pole arms 12 +14 +8 +16 Mastery 4311

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required
marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- -------------
--------------
Slings 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 4
Bows 9 +18 +13 +3 excellent 484
Crossbows 7 +14 +10 +2 skilled 2
Thrown spears 4 +8 +6 +1 skilled 41

I'd like to throw the Trident more often, but I'm going to have to wait
for my dexterity to get high enough to do it properly.

Shields Lvl DV Level Required
marks
--------------------- --- --- -------------
--------------
Shields 10 +20 excellent 9

I get such awesome bonuses from shields due to this that I don't want to
fight with my trident, even though its damage is awesome.

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
ÆRight hand: Î+63Æ bonus to hit, Î2d8+37Æ damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
ÆAmmunition: Î55Æ, base range: Î46Æ, Î+87Æ bonus to hit, Î1d6+43Æ damage

Darkness: 84, 4pp (Effectivity: +2)
Light : 212, 3pp (Effectivity: +0)

I have an awful time learning spells, despite my phial-trained
concentration.

Alertness ................ 69 (good) [+1d3]
Archery ..................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Backstabbing ............. 94 (superb) [+1d3]
Bridge building .......... 17 (mediocre) [+4d4] (mr)
Climbing .................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Concentration ............100 (superb) [+2d4]
Detect traps .............100 (superb) [+1d5]
Disarm traps ............. 46 (fair) [+3d3]
Dodge ....................100 (superb) [+1d5]
First aid ................ 36 (fair) [+4d4]
Fletchery ................100 (superb) [+2d4] (mr)
Haggling ................. 16 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Healing ..................100 (superb) [+1d5]
Listening ................100 (superb) [+1d5]
Literacy ................. 65 (good) [+1]
Pick locks ............... 63 (good) [+1]
Pick pockets .............100 (superb) [+1d3]
Smithing ................. 35 (fair) [+3d4]
Stealth ..................100 (superb) [+1d5]
Swimming ................. 91 (superb) [+1d3]
Tactics .................. 68 (good) [+1]
Two weapon combat ........ 55 (good) [+1]

You rage (DV: -9, +6 melee damage)!
Your skin is covered by tough scales (PV: +8, Dx: -6, Ap: -4).

While I have a ton of corruption removal, I haven't bothered to remove
any of these, just because they're more or less harmless. Heck, the
second one will make pumping my dexterity up even easier.

---
Inventory
---
Total weight: 2360 stones Carrying capacity: 2530 stones

Head : -
Neck : blessed necklace of rapid healing
[2s]
Body : uncursed ancient mummy wrapping [+1, +5] {Ap-8}
[60s]
Girdle : blessed girdle of greed [+0, +0]
[7s]
Cloak : -
Right Hand : uncursed eternium spear (+4, 2d8+8)
[25s]
Left Hand : uncursed large eternium shield (-1) [+11, +5]
[54s]
Right Ring : blessed ring of ice
[1s]
Left Ring : uncursed ring of slaying (+3 melee damage, +6 missile
damage)

In the TOEF, I shall likely replace this with a ring of regeneration.

Bracers : -
Gauntlets : uncursed elemental gauntlets (-1, +0) [+0, +3]
[10s]
Boots : cursed light boots (+1, -1) [+0, +0]
[20s]
Missile weapon: blessed long bow (+2, +2)
[30s]
Missiles : bundle of 55 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6)
[110s]
Tool : uncursed phial of Caladriel
[2s]

---
Achievements
---

She survived for 0 years, 132 days, 3 hours, 22 minutes and 18 seconds
(139713 turns).

This fruitless search has just been killing me. Part of it comes from
going back and forth between pools and alters, or between the ID and the
CoC. Again, corruption isn't going to be a huge difficulty, but it's
getting annoying.

Brian visited 69 places.
Her strength score was modified by +9 during her career.
Her learning score was modified by +7 during her career.
Her willpower score was modified by +15 during her career.
Her dexterity score was modified by +11 during her career.
Her toughness score was modified by +17 during her career.
Her charisma score was modified by +9 during her career.
Her appearance score was modified by +2 during her career.
Her mana score was modified by +3 during her career.
She was the champion of the arena.
She was the head of the thieves guild.
She made a little water dragon very happy.

Thank you for your help!
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:50:22 AM

Netbrian wrote:

> My character has been completely and utterly unable to find intristic
> fire resistance, without which I am clearly unable to take on the ToEF.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

> 4. Hop in and out of the ToEF, killing drakes, dragons, giants, and
> other such creatures until one of them leaves a corpse, and I get fire
> resistance from that. This option is somewhat attractive, but the high
> amount of damage that I take in the tower makes it dangerous as well.
> Moreover, it does take a lot of game time, as I have to leave the tower
> in order to heal.
>
> Do any of you have any other suggestions? One possibility that I'm
> entertaining is using the Crown of Science in the ToEF during the first
> few levels, in hopes that the increased monster generation because of the
> dooming intristic combined with all the fiery monsters should finally
> yield a corpse, after which I can remove the crown and ascend to the
> highest part of the tower. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to
> hear them.

That seems like a reasonable idea to me. That's what I was going to
suggest (just going in and out without the crown, especially if you have
regeneration and/or other fire resistances)... if you can't handle the
heat without the crown, wear the crown probably only on level 1
relatively close to the stairs until you get a corpse. (If you have any
knives of endurance, you might weild those temporarily for the
regeneration though they'll probably melt moderately quickly...)

One other option I can think of (pretty medicore) is Druid Dungeon 7, if
you took that route instead of the Village Dungeon. Fire Lizards & Fire
Beetles spawn there (together, 2 / 29 of the monsters). You'll have to
deal with some cats down there too, of course.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:50:22 AM

Netbrian wrote:

<grey elven archer... in short: good game going>

> I have just one minor, minor difficulty.
>
> My character has been completely and utterly unable to find intristic
> fire resistance, without which I am clearly unable to take on the ToEF.

*Clearly* unable? Fiddle-faddle. Intrinsic fire resistance is certainly
nice, but if you can't get it, you can't get it. I've put characters
through without the intrinsic, and I have yet to die in the Tower.
Sometimes it gets too hot to handle... in which case I leave.

<snip>

Spoilyish from here...

> The way I see it, I have the following options.
>
> 1. Wear the Crown of Science, and use the Fire immunity it grants me to
> do the ToEF. While it's becoming the most likely option at this point,
> trying to go through what is already a deathtrap while cursed and doomed
> worries me.

Nah. You'll need your missiles. If you're cursed and doomed, your ring
of ice won't do much to protect them, in the quiver or in the pack.
Crown of Science will cause more problems than it solves.

> 2. Scum the ID or Tomb of the High Kings more, in hopes something
> wonderful will happen. I've done this far too much already, and am quite
> reluctant to continue. I'm not worried about corruption though.

That's boring. Since you're already past the 90-day mark anyway, you
might as well scum for red dragons in the mountains, or black dragons in
the swamps. Spare the corruption completely; maybe chow down on some
stone giants. Take to the plains, eat some quicklings and salvage the
eternium gear of some chaos knights.

I like the wilderness. I'd try the Steelman challenge, but Pinachos
ruined that for everyone through all space and time.

Hey, if you get a red dragon corpse, you'd get the resistance out of
that. Oh, I've got my thinking cap on tonight... I mean, this morning.
Damn, it's late. I have a test today. Oh who cares. Sociolinguistics...
should be easy enough.

Red dragons... mountains. Go. Happy hunting.

> 3. Scum the dwarven halls, in hopes of a red dragon or fire giant corpse
> that'll get me fire resistance. This choice has the plus side that it
> gives good treasure, but it remains quite dangerous too.

Umm... no. Not just the danger of the inhabitants, but, since those
levels are among the most corrupting in the whole game, and as you're
past day 90, screwing around there for an extended period of time is the
perfect way to burn off your seemingly limitless supply of corruption
removal.

And all it takes is one eternium quarrel fired by a greater titan, or a
surprise mimic hivemind 'round the corner, or five or six diamond golems
to wipe you out. Or an emperor lich, they're always fun too.

> 4. Hop in and out of the ToEF, killing drakes, dragons, giants, and
> other such creatures until one of them leaves a corpse, and I get fire
> resistance from that. This option is somewhat attractive, but the high
> amount of damage that I take in the tower makes it dangerous as well.
> Moreover, it does take a lot of game time, as I have to leave the tower
> in order to heal.

Game time? You're past day 90, it won't get any worse.

If you're bored, then go take the Tower. Just be glad you're not playing
a drakeling. You'll survive the heat; it's the Wyrm that you have to
worry about (according to some).

How do you know you'll be taking a high amount of damage anyway? Have
you attempted a test run?

> Do any of you have any other suggestions? One possibility that I'm
> entertaining is using the Crown of Science in the ToEF during the first
> few levels, in hopes that the increased monster generation because of the
> dooming intristic combined with all the fiery monsters should finally
> yield a corpse, after which I can remove the crown and ascend to the
> highest part of the tower.

Crits. The creatures in the Tower aren't trivial by any means, and
dooming might be just what they need to crit you to Hell. Staying out of
melee range won't necessarily help; if you don't get torched by their
fiery breaths, you'll be stoned to death by the fire giant kings.

> ---
> Character Information
> ---
>
> Brian St:20 Le:22 Wi:26 Dx:23 To:26 Ch:10 Ap: 8 Ma:21 Pe:20 L
> DV/PV: 52/25 H: 179(264) P: 113(113) Exp: 21/890211 M: 139713

You'd better have a good few healing potions. Spenseweed as well, in
your case.

> Neck : blessed necklace of rapid healing
> Right Ring : blessed ring of ice
> Left Ring : uncursed ring of slaying (+3 melee damage, +6 missile
> damage)
>
> In the TOEF, I shall likely replace this with a ring of regeneration.

Not a bad choice. If you end up scumming for anything, a crown of
regeneration would help a lot as well.

If you get a crown, then you can wear a ring of fire resistance (or the
RotHK). That oughta carry you through. As long as you keep wearing the
elemental gauntlets of course.

> She survived for 0 years, 132 days, 3 hours, 22 minutes and 18 seconds
> (139713 turns).
>
> This fruitless search has just been killing me. Part of it comes from
> going back and forth between pools and alters, or between the ID and the
> CoC. Again, corruption isn't going to be a huge difficulty, but it's
> getting annoying.

Stay out of corrupting areas, at least. A bit of corruption now can be a
big mistake later. Believe me.

> Thank you for your help!

Meh. De nada.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst

Josh Singh <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in

> Netbrian wrote:
>
> <grey elven archer... in short: good game going>
>
>> I have just one minor, minor difficulty.

> <snip>
>
> Spoilyish from here...

>> My character has been completely and utterly unable to find intristic
>> fire resistance, without which I am clearly unable to take on the
>> ToEF.

> *Clearly* unable? Fiddle-faddle. Intrinsic fire resistance is
> certainly nice, but if you can't get it, you can't get it. I've put
> characters through without the intrinsic, and I have yet to die in the
> Tower. Sometimes it gets too hot to handle... in which case I leave.

I've tried the tower several times, with two sources of regeneration (necklace and
ring), a large stack of spenseweeds, and controlled teleport on demand (I have to use a
wand, so I don't like to use this too much). I would love for another run to be
possible, but it really has not worked out.

> Nah. You'll need your missiles. If you're cursed and doomed, your ring
> of ice won't do much to protect them, in the quiver or in the pack.
> Crown of Science will cause more problems than it solves.

Aha! I had forgotten that Dooming will hurt the performance of my rings of ice.
Believe me, knowing that helps me avoid some nasty problems.

> That's boring. Since you're already past the 90-day mark anyway, you
> might as well scum for red dragons in the mountains, or black dragons
> in the swamps. Spare the corruption completely; maybe chow down on
> some stone giants. Take to the plains, eat some quicklings and salvage
> the eternium gear of some chaos knights.

> Hey, if you get a red dragon corpse, you'd get the resistance out of
> that. Oh, I've got my thinking cap on tonight... I mean, this morning.
> Damn, it's late. I have a test today. Oh who cares.
> Sociolinguistics... should be easy enough.
>
> Red dragons... mountains. Go. Happy hunting.

I didn't know they showed up in the mountains -- That may well solve this whole stupid
mess. I have had no problems taking on dragons so far.

> And all it takes is one eternium quarrel fired by a greater titan, or
> a surprise mimic hivemind 'round the corner, or five or six diamond
> golems to wipe you out. Or an emperor lich, they're always fun too.

Ick, I forgot about their ultra-high corruption. Thanks for warning me about that.

>> 4. Hop in and out of the ToEF, killing drakes, dragons, giants, and
>> other such creatures until one of them leaves a corpse, and I get
>> fire resistance from that. This option is somewhat attractive, but
>> the high amount of damage that I take in the tower makes it dangerous
>> as well. Moreover, it does take a lot of game time, as I have to
>> leave the tower in order to heal.
>
> Game time? You're past day 90, it won't get any worse.
>
> If you're bored, then go take the Tower. Just be glad you're not
> playing a drakeling. You'll survive the heat; it's the Wyrm that you
> have to worry about (according to some).
>
> How do you know you'll be taking a high amount of damage anyway? Have
> you attempted a test run?

Yes, see above. Note that while I don't generally take much melee damage, I cannot
kill monsters all quickly enough to really do anything fast.

> Crits. The creatures in the Tower aren't trivial by any means, and
> dooming might be just what they need to crit you to Hell. Staying out
> of melee range won't necessarily help; if you don't get torched by
> their fiery breaths, you'll be stoned to death by the fire giant
> kings.

The crown grants immunity to fire, doesn't it? The breath at least will be a non-
issue. But the nerfing of the ring of ice pretty much puts it out of the picture.
It's too bad -- I'd love to use the item otherwise.

>> Brian St:20 Le:22 Wi:26 Dx:23 To:26 Ch:10 Ap: 8 Ma:21
>> Pe:20 L DV/PV: 52/25 H: 179(264) P: 113(113) Exp: 21/890211
>> M: 139713
>
> You'd better have a good few healing potions. Spenseweed as well, in
> your case.

I have plenty of both. Note that I also have slaying ammo which I snipped, along with
the trident which can slay some of the nastier inhabitants.

>> Neck : blessed necklace of rapid healing
>> Right Ring : blessed ring of ice
>> Left Ring : uncursed ring of slaying (+3 melee damage, +6
>> missile damage)
>>
>> In the TOEF, I shall likely replace this with a ring of regeneration.
>
> Not a bad choice. If you end up scumming for anything, a crown of
> regeneration would help a lot as well.

Oh, I know. Things are shaping up such that I'll see if I can get one in the
wilderness. Heck, as long as I'm dreaming, aren't there crowns of fire immunity? ;)

> Stay out of corrupting areas, at least. A bit of corruption now can be
> a big mistake later. Believe me.

I do. It's almost certain now that I'm going to leave Khelvaster to his doom in order
to speed things up. Once he croaks and I'm past the ToEF, things should get far more
straightforwards. That will also allow me to get myself crowned Lawful, and thus do a
bit more to avoid corruption. Hopefully I'll get a decent artifact, and not some dumb
ammo.

Thank you for your help! Scumming the wilderness should prove far more fruitful and
more enjoyable than the ID!

Netbrian
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:27:42 AM

Twinge <homelesspete@gmail.com> wrote in

> Netbrian wrote:
>>
>> My character has been completely and utterly unable to find intristic
>> fire resistance, without which I am clearly unable to take on the
>> ToEF.
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>

> That seems like a reasonable idea to me. That's what I was going to
> suggest (just going in and out without the crown, especially if you
> have regeneration and/or other fire resistances)... if you can't
> handle the heat without the crown, wear the crown probably only on
> level 1 relatively close to the stairs until you get a corpse. (If
> you have any knives of endurance, you might weild those temporarily
> for the regeneration though they'll probably melt moderately
> quickly...)

Do you know if the ToEF has a reduced chance of allowing monsters to
leave corpses? I've killed a rather high number of monsters in there,
with no corpse found (I also got to it rather quickly, oblivating the
chance for them just to melt). Unfortunately, I have no knives of
endurance to help tide me over. I'm beginning to buy into the idea that
the crown would be a mistake, sadly.

> One other option I can think of (pretty medicore) is Druid Dungeon 7,
> if you took that route instead of the Village Dungeon. Fire Lizards &
> Fire Beetles spawn there (together, 2 / 29 of the monsters). You'll
> have to deal with some cats down there too, of course.

I'd love to have scummed the Druid Dungeon, and I've already killed
plenty of cats (stupid arena). Unfortunately, I took the healing quest
instead. Looking back, I think this was a big mistake. Since I took the
SMC start, I didn't actually get to the quest at all until I was at least
level 12, and had reduced the ability of it to help me all that much.
Combine that with my wand of cold, and I would have much rather have had
Herbalism, the Black Torc, the potion of cure corruption, and a chance to
pig out on giant slugs.

Thank you very much!

Brian
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:26:30 AM

Netbrian wrote:
> Josh Singh <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in
>

>>Netbrian wrote:
>>
>><grey elven archer... in short: good game going>
>>
>>>I have just one minor, minor difficulty.
>

>><snip>
>>
>>Spoilyish from here...

>>>Neck : blessed necklace of rapid healing
>>> Right Ring : blessed ring of ice
>>> Left Ring : uncursed ring of slaying (+3 melee damage, +6
>>>missile damage)
>>>
>>>In the TOEF, I shall likely replace this with a ring of regeneration.
>>
>>Not a bad choice. If you end up scumming for anything, a crown of
>>regeneration would help a lot as well.
>

> Oh, I know. Things are shaping up such that I'll see if I can get one in the
> wilderness. Heck, as long as I'm dreaming, aren't there crowns of fire immunity? ;)

Not that it's much help for you now (after reading your last post) but
there are crowns of fire that grant fire immunity.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst
http://chat.carleton.ca/~jsingh3/
or http://www.currybucket.cjb.net/
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:31:08 AM

Quick update.

I finally got my intristic fire resistance from a drake corpse, and had a
fairly good run through the tower (the tension room full of Water Demons
was a particularly nice touch) until I ran into the Wyrm. I got nailed,
despite my resistance, to a particularly nasty burst of confusion, and
couldn't recover in time.

Oh well.

Next time, if I make it through the SMC/HMV path, I'm choosing the Druid
quest over the Carpenter quest. Moreover, I'm going to spend a little
more time attempting to get precrowned before generating the Si -- with
Herbalism and a pacified big room, such a thing is usually trivial. I'll
also note that the fact I used pickpocketing far more in this game than I
usually do really made a difference, and that I shall try and take
advantage of that fact in further games.

Brian
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:42:44 PM

Netbrian wrote:
> Twinge <homelesspete@gmail.com> wrote in
>

>>Netbrian wrote:
>>
>>>My character has been completely and utterly unable to find intristic
>>>fire resistance, without which I am clearly unable to take on the
>>>ToEF.
>>
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>

>>That seems like a reasonable idea to me. That's what I was going to
>>suggest (just going in and out without the crown, especially if you
>>have regeneration and/or other fire resistances)... if you can't
>>handle the heat without the crown, wear the crown probably only on
>>level 1 relatively close to the stairs until you get a corpse. (If
>>you have any knives of endurance, you might weild those temporarily
>>for the regeneration though they'll probably melt moderately
>>quickly...)
>

> Do you know if the ToEF has a reduced chance of allowing monsters to
> leave corpses? I've killed a rather high number of monsters in there,
> with no corpse found (I also got to it rather quickly, oblivating the
> chance for them just to melt). Unfortunately, I have no knives of
> endurance to help tide me over. I'm beginning to buy into the idea that
> the crown would be a mistake, sadly.

I haven't seen anything to indicate the ToEF has reduced corpse
creation, and I really doubt it does. Just bad luck I guess.

>>One other option I can think of (pretty medicore) is Druid Dungeon 7,
>>if you took that route instead of the Village Dungeon. Fire Lizards &
>>Fire Beetles spawn there (together, 2 / 29 of the monsters). You'll
>>have to deal with some cats down there too, of course.
>

> I'd love to have scummed the Druid Dungeon, and I've already killed
> plenty of cats (stupid arena). Unfortunately, I took the healing quest
> instead. Looking back, I think this was a big mistake. Since I took the
> SMC start, I didn't actually get to the quest at all until I was at least
> level 12, and had reduced the ability of it to help me all that much.
> Combine that with my wand of cold, and I would have much rather have had
> Herbalism, the Black Torc, the potion of cure corruption, and a chance to
> pig out on giant slugs.

You'll have to kill about 1000 monsters before you get that giant slug
corpse -- and that's with a food preservation 90 or more -- but it'll
happen eventually ;)

Also:

> I've tried the tower several times, with two sources of regeneration
> (necklace and ring), a large stack of spenseweeds, and controlled
> teleport on demand (I have to use a wand, so I don't like to use this
> too much). I would love for another run to be possible, but it
> really has not worked out.

The necklace of rapid healing is _not_ a source of regeneration. It
reduces the interval between your natural healing activation, but at
it's best (you have a natural healing of 23 or less and the necklace is
blessed) it's still only going to be half as good as actual regenerating
equipment.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:05:46 PM

Netbrian <netbrianwithnospam@aol.com> wrote in

> Quick update.

> I finally got my intristic fire resistance from a drake corpse, and
> had a fairly good run through the tower (the tension room full of
> Water Demons was a particularly nice touch) until I ran into the Wyrm.
> I got nailed, despite my resistance, to a particularly nasty burst of
> confusion, and couldn't recover in time.
>
> Oh well.

Standard operating policy for dealing with the ACW is to equip the Water
Orb in the tool slot before entering ToEF:4. This, however, means that you
have to either find an AoLS or let Khelly die before tackling the tower. In
my opinion it is better to have a live character lacking in chaos
resistance items than a dead character with a surplus of them. The water
temple is also considerably easier than the tower, and so, to me at least,
it makes a lot of sense to tackle it prior to the ToEF. The Water Orb
doesn't grant immunity to confusion attacks, but the boost to Willpower
certainly aids greatly in resisting them.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:37:35 AM

Use spenseweed and you'll be fine. I use it for my drakeling
characters. Having a method of mapping is very helpful. It's also great
to use a wand of digging to blast through walls because pickaxes take a
while.
!