spoilerspace!!!
..

Jane St:16 Le:16 Wi:12 Dx:16 To:19 Ch:12 Ap:12 Ma:25
Pe:15 N=
DV/PV: 1/9 H: -1(143) P: 145(149) Exp: 16/143342 UC: 5
Sp: 101
Invisible Paralyzed Berserk
This is my second best PC, and one of four that scored over 100k.

I started out going to the DD. I could not harm the black druid with my
fire and ice attacks, so I blasted the animals. I went into the CoC,
and dove to dwarftown. On the way, I found a pool, and I got the
invisible and see invisible intrinsics. I completed the dwarven quests,
until I got the arena, then I went to the graveyard. I killed almost
everything with melee combat, but for the tougher enemies, I used
burning hands. I could not get either of the artifacts, because my pick
axe was broken, and bone golems are immune to fire and ice. After this,
I went in the pyramid and got the tools. I went to the RotHK dungeon,
and got killed by a greater mimic.

Background Information

Name: Jane Race: female Gnome Class: Elementalist
Eye color: green Hair color: black Complexion: light
Height: 3'2" Weight: 94 pounds
Age: 150 (grown-up, 32 years of unnatural aging added in)
Star sign: Wand Birthday: 11/Wand (day 71 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your parents belong to the lower class. They were honest
hard-working people, who did everything to enable you to live a
comfortable and fine life. They were not very successful.
As a child your parents cared a lot for you. Despite all
circumstances you enjoyed a happy and fine childhood.
In your youth you worked a lot to become rich and famous later.
Consequently you rarely had enough time to play with other kids of
your
age.
As a young adult you were a credit to your family. Your parents
supported your plans and were very understanding. They tried to help
you
along your way with all means at their disposal.
You decided to become a Elementalist.

Inventory
Total weight: 1057 stones Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Head : -
Neck : uncursed necklace of rabies resistance
[2s]
Body : uncursed mithril chain mail (-1, -3) [-2, +7]
[320s]
Girdle : -
Cloak : -
Right Hand : blessed heavy cudgel (-1, 2d5+4) [-2, +0]
[70s]
Left Hand : uncursed heavy cudgel (-1, 2d5+2) [-2, +0]
[70s]
Right Ring : -
Left Ring : blessed rusty ring of minor elemental mastery [+2, +2]
[1s]
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : -
Boots : -
Missile weapon: -
Missiles : bundle of 2 uncursed rusty drakish scurgari (+2,
1d8+2)[20s]
Tool : cursed broken pick axe (+0, 1d6+1)
[75s]

Stuff

Total weight: 499 stones Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Shields ('[')
uncursed tower mithril shield (-2) [+9, +2]
[120s]
Useful for the forest.
One-handed weapons ('(')
uncursed brutal orcish knife (+0, 2d3+2)
[10s]
Missiles ('*')
heap of 4 blessed rocks (+0, 1d4)
[20s]
heap of 8 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4)
[40s]
Tools (']')
heap of 3 uncursed sis
[30s]
uncursed holy symbol
[5s]
uncursed climbing set
[180s]
blessed thieves picks
[5s]
uncursed plain blanket
[10s]
Found most in pyramid.
Rings ('=')
uncursed ring of defense +1
[1s]
uncursed rusty ring of stun resistance
[1s]
Wands ('\')
uncursed wand of door creation (3 charges)
[3s]
uncursed wand of webbing (5 charges)
[3s]
uncursed wand of webbing (11 charges)
[3s]
blessed wand of fireballs (3 charges)
[3s]
uncursed wand of digging (0 charges)
[3s]
uncursed wand of fireballs (0 charges)
[3s]
Potions ('!')
uncursed potion of confusion
[2s]
uncursed potion of boost toughness
[2s]
cursed potion of potential toughness
[4s]
cursed potion of booze
[4s]
uncursed potion of invisibility
[4s]
uncursed potion of willpower
[4s]
heap of 4 blessed potions of extra healing
[8s]
Scrolls ('?')
uncursed scroll of magic mapping
[2s]
Food ('%')
heap of 8 uncursed cooked lizards
[24s]
uncursed lump of bee wax
[5s]

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required
marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- -------------
--------------
Unarmed fighting 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 28
Daggers & knives 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 25
Clubs & hammers 6 +4 +2 +1 skilled 15
Maces & flails 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
Swords 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 27
Axes 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
Whips 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
Pole arms 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
Twohanded weapons 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
Staves 1 +1 +0 +1 basic 2

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required
marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- -------------
--------------
Slings 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 11
Bows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Crossbows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 11
Thrown axes & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Thrown daggers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Thrown rocks & clubs 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 13
Thrown spears 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Boomerangs & scurgari 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14

Shields Lvl DV Level Required
marks
--------------------- --- --- -------------
--------------
Shields 0 +0 unskilled 5

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
ÆRight hand: Î+17Æ bonus to hit, Î2d5+13Æ damage
ÆLeft hand: Î+1Æ bonus to hit, Î2d5+10Æ damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
ÆAmmunition: Î2Æ, base range: Î2Æ, Î+18Æ bonus to hit,
Î[(1d8)/2]+6Æ damage

Skills

Climbing ............. 43 (fair) [+3d3]
Concentration ........100 (superb) [+1d5]
First aid ............ 67 (good) [+1d3]
Gemology ............. 49 (fair) [+2d4]
Haggling ............. 43 (fair) [+2d4]
Healing ..............100 (superb) [+1d3]
Listening ............ 57 (good) [+1d3]
Literacy ............. 77 (great) [+3d3]
Metallurgy ........... 31 (fair) [+3d5]
Mining ............... 14 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Pick pockets ......... 34 (fair) [+1d5]
Swimming ............. 35 (fair) [+4d5]
Ventriloquism ........ 35 (fair) [+2d4]

Spells

Burning Hands : 187, 4pp (Effectivity: +22)
Earthquake : 35, 72pp (Effectivity: +0)
Fire Bolt : 709, 8pp (Effectivity: +8)
Fireball : 25, 18pp (Effectivity: +2)
Frost Bolt : 330, 7pp (Effectivity: +23)
Improved Fireball: 7, 27pp (Effectivity: +0)

Her achievements during her adventures:

Jane, the gnomish elementalist, was killed by a greater mimic.
She scored 129613 points and advanced to level 16.
She survived for 0 years, 39 days, 8 hours, 28 minutes and 54 seconds
(29997
turns).
Jane visited 38 places.
Her strength score was modified by +5 during her career.
Her learning score was modified by +1 during her career.
Her toughness score was modified by +2 during her career.
Her charisma score was modified by +1 during her career.
Her appearance score was modified by +2 during her career.
Her mana score was modified by +1 during her career.
She was unnaturally aged by 32 years.
She was the head of the thieves guild.
She ended her adventuring life in a damp cave on level 5.
1434 monsters perished under her attacks.
The following three artifacts were generated during her adventure:
the si
the elemental gauntlets
the phial of Caladriel
She possessed the following intrinsics:
She was fire resistant (enhanced through an item).
She was cold resistant (gained through an item).
She was lucky.
->?She was petrification resistant.
->From a pool. She was invisible.
She was stun resistant.
She was shock resistant (enhanced through an item).
->Also from a pool. She was able to see invisible things.
She had the following talents: Boon to the Family, Charming, Hardy,
Healthy,
Heir, Potent Aura, Strong Aura, Very Hardy.
She had a final speed score of 101 (final base speed: 101).
She was religious.
She asked for 11 divine interventions.
Is more piety required to uncurse an item?
She was neutrally aligned.
She was slightly tainted by Chaos.

The following monsters were vanquished:
35 animated trees
1 assassin
5 bandits
7 barbarians
4 barbarian leaders
3 berserkers
1 big dog
3 black hurthlings
3 blink dogs
30 brown worms
2 bugbears
2 carrion crawlers
2 cave bears
5 cave fishers
1 cave lion
2 cave lizards
5 cave tigers
2 cavemen
1 chaos lizard
1 chaos plague bearer
1 chaos rat
1 chaos sister
6 claw bugs
1 cooshoo
5 corpse fiends
1 crime lord
1 crystal statue
4 cutpurses
1 dark elven archer
1 dark elven priestess
1 dark elven warrior
2 dark elven wizards
2 dark orcs
2 dark sages
1 demented ratling
2 dire wolves
4 displacer beasts
3 dopplegangers
1 eye of destruction
11 fire beetles
1 fire lizard
2 flesh golems
1 floating eye
5 gargoyles
1 gelatinous cube
11 ghosts
3 ghost bats
1 ghost lord
83 ghuls
10 giant bats
1 giant bee queen
75 giant bee warriors
12 giant bee workers
2 giant centipedes
5 giant lizards
4 giant raccoons
12 giant rats
2 gibbering mouthers
3 gnolls
17 goblins
1 goblin berserker
6 goblin chieftains
12 goblin rockthrowers
5 goblin slavemasters
6 gray oozes
7 green slimes
562 gremlins
2 griffons
2 half-orc bouncers
2 hell hounds
1 hill orc
2 hill orc sergeants
4 hippogriffs
10 hobgoblins
3 hobgoblin chiefs
9 hobgoblin leaders
2 homunculi
5 huge bats
1 hyena
14 jackals
3 jackalweres
1 karmic baby dragon. That was hard. I had to sac it at
dwarftown.
3 karmic lizards
8 kobolds
2 kobold chieftains
3 kobold shamans
13 large bats
3 large dogs
2 large gnolls
1 large jackal
9 large kobolds
4 large orcs
5 large snakes
9 large spiders
3 least daemons
1 lich
1 lightning lizard
1 lightning vortex
4 lizard men
1 master lich. Grave digging
1 master necromancer
2 master swordsmen
1 master thief
2 minotaurs
2 mummies
2 necromancers
11 ochre jellies
41 ogres
1 ogre lord
2 ogre magi
22 orcs
2 orc chieftains
1 orc scorcher
1 outlaw
2 outlaw leaders
3 owlbears
3 pit vipers
1 quasit
2 rabid dogs
4 raiders
4 rats
1 ratling archer
1 ratling duelist
1 ratling fencer
1 ratling master thief
3 ratling thieves
1 ratling trader
1 ratling warlord
23 shadows
1 shadow centipede
1 skeletal warrior
37 skeletons
3 spectres
1 stone giant
5 swordsmen
3 tarantulas
2 trolls
1 undead chaos dwarven berserker
2 vipers
4 wererats
3 werewolves
3 white baby dragons
20 wights
1 wild cat
19 wolves
1 wraith
2 yellow oozes
33 zombies

The Programdude wrote:
> [spoilerspace]
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> spoilerspace.
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> spoilerspace!!!
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>

> Jane St:16 Le:16 Wi:12 Dx:16 To:19 Ch:1
> Ap:12 Ma:25 Pe:15 N=

Ummm... herbs? those lil green "s, you know?

> DV/PV: 1/9 H: -1(143) P: 145(149) Exp:
> 16/143342 UC: 5

PV of 9?! isn't that a little on the lowish side for the
TotHK? And 143 hit points is not really impressive,
either. See the above remark about herbs.

> Sp: 101
> Invisible Paralyzed Berserk

What? berserking mimics - with an elementalist, PV of 9
and 143 hps?!

> ---------- This is my second best PC, and one of four
> that scored over 100k.
>

> I started out going to the DD. I could not harm the
> black druid with my fire and ice attacks, so I blasted
> the animals. I went into the CoC, and dove to dwarftown.
> On the way, I found a pool, and I got the invisible and
> see invisible intrinsics.

Why? Let's see, you've got intrinsic invisibility, - not
really helpful for spellcasters, - see invisible, - AMW? -
and denied yourself all the rewards for the arena quest:
Tactics, TWC, and that heap of useful stuff from
Thrundarr. Not a good deal if you ask me. Pool drinking is
not a good idea unless you're ready for it (that is -
you've got some useful corpses stashed somewhere; you've
got piety to burn; you've got access to the DF pool
chamber; you need wishes real bad).

> ----------------- Inventory
> ----------------- Total weight: 1057 stone Carrying
> capacity: 1650 stones
>
> Head : -
> Neck : uncursed necklace of rabies resistance
> [2s]
> Body : uncursed mithril chain mail (-1, -3)
> [-2, +7] [320s]
> Girdle : -
> Cloak : -
> Right Hand : blessed heavy cudgel (-1, 2d5+4) [-2,
> +0] [70s]
> Left Hand : uncursed heavy cudgel (-1, 2d5+2) [-2,
> +0] [70s]

?!?! You must be kidding! You're an elementalist, you
didn't get the TWC, and you're dual-wielding freaking
CUDGELS! Is that some kind of obscure joke?!

> Right Ring : -
> Left Ring : blessed rusty ring of minor elemental
> mastery [+2, +2] [1s]
> Bracers : -
> Gauntlets : -
> Boots : -
> Missile weapon: -
> Missiles : bundle of 2 uncursed rusty drakish
> scurgari (+2, 1d8+2)[20s]
> Tool : cursed broken pick axe (+0, 1d6+1) [75s]

Where's your, um, STUFF? I dunno - cloaks? girdles? boots?
SOMETHING?

> ----------------- Stuff
> -----------------
>
> Total weight: 499 stones Carrying capacity: 1650
> stones
>
> Shields ('[')
> uncursed tower mithril shield (-2) [+9, +2] [120s]

Tell me - why in the seven hells you haven't been using
this thing all the time?

> ----------------- Weapon Skills
> -----------------
>
> Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Leve
> Required marks
> --------------------- --- --- --- --
> ------------- --------------
> Unarmed fighting 0 +0 +0 +0 unskille
> 28 Daggers & knives 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled
> 25 Clubs & hammers
> +4 +2 +1 skilled 15 Maces & flails 0
> +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30 Sword
> 0 +0 +0 +0 unskille 27 Axes
> 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
> Whips
> +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30 Pole arm 0 +0
> +0 +0 unskilled 30 Twohanded weapons
> 0 +0 +0 +0 unskille 30 Staves
> 1 +1 +0 +1 basic 2
>
> Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Leve
> Required marks
> --------------------- --- --- --- --
> ------------- --------------
> Slings 0 +0 +0 +0 unskille
> 11 Bows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled
> 14 Crossbows
> +0 +0 +0 unskilled 11 Thrown axes &
> hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
> Thrown daggers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskille
> 14 Thrown rocks & clubs 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled
> 13 Thrown spears
> +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14 Boomerangs &
> scurgari 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14

And where are your missile weapon marks?

> Shields Lvl DV Leve
> Required marks
> --------------------- --- --
> ------------- --------------
> Shields 0 +0 unskille 5

And, for god's sake, where are your SHIELD marks? You're
an elementalist, right? Elementalists are those guys and
gals who run around on coward, dual-wielding shields, and
fry everything with spells, right?

Am I missin' something?

> Damage caused with your melee weapons:
> --------------------------------------
> ÆRight hand: Î+17Æ bonus to hit, Î2d5+13Æ damage ÆLeft
> hand: Î+1Æ bonus to hit, Î2d5+10Æ damage

Yeah, right.

> ----------------- Skills
> -----------------
>
> Climbing ............. 43 (fair) [+3d3]
> Concentration ........100 (superb) [+1d5] First
> aid ............ 67 (good) [+1d3] Gemology
> ............. 49 (fair) [+2d4] Haggling
> ............. 43 (fair) [+2d4] Healing
> ..............100 (superb) [+1d3] Listening
> ............ 57 (good) [+1d3] Literacy
> ............. 77 (great) [+3d3] Metallurgy
> ........... 31 (fair) [+3d5] Mining
> ............... 14 (mediocre) [+4d5] Pick pockets
> ......... 34 (fair) [+1d5] Swimming
> ............. 35 (fair) [+4d5] Ventriloquism
> ........ 35 (fair) [+2d4]

Again, no TWC. So what were you doing with those cudgels?

> ----------------- Spells
> -----------------
>
> Burning Hands : 187, 4pp (Effectivity: +22)
> Earthquake : 35, 72pp (Effectivity: +0)
> Fire Bolt : 709, 8pp (Effectivity: +8)
> Fireball : 25, 18pp (Effectivity: +2)
> Frost Bolt : 330, 7pp (Effectivity: +23)
> Improved Fireball: 7, 27pp (Effectivity: +0)

So, judging from your effectivity figures, you went in
spell-heavy. So. *Where* are your shield marks?

> The following three artifacts were generated during her
> adventure: the si
> the elemental gauntlets
> the phial of Caladriel

Precrownings. With a couple of precrownings you could hope
to have your PV doubled. *Or* at least you could get a
decent weapon. The one you could use with a shield.

> She had the following talents: Boon to the Family,
> Charming, Hardy, Healthy,
> Heir, Potent Aura, Strong Aura, Very Hardy.

What do elementalists get as their Heir gift?

> She had a final speed score of 101 (final base speed:
> 101). She was religious.
> She asked for 11 divine interventions.
> Is more piety required to uncurse an item?

I think so. It does work around 'very close', but it
certainly doesn't work with your initial piety.

> 1 karmic baby dragon. That was hard. I had to sac it at
> dwarftown.

So maybe you *should've* practiced with missile weapons?

Well, really. I don't want to rub salt in your wounds, but
all of this looks wrong, wrong, WRONG to me. The way you
played this char, it had to happen sooner or later. (And,
more likely sooner than later.)

Go read some YAFVPs, there are lots of hints on basic
tactics and strategy - that's what you're lacking most, it
seems.

--
roy axenov

Spoiler space, just in case.

Well, first of all, consider that elementalists do not get spell books
as often as wizards tend to. You have to focus on a combination of
melee fighting, missile fighting, and spells. I would recommend axe,
because the guaranteed artifact the dwarven mistic has is excellent for
spellcasters. It's very light, reasonably powerful, and it gives fire
resistance and toughness. It's also really, really good with rolf's
shield!

Roy, he said he wasn't able to beat the dark druid, so he didn't have
herbalism. You should have gone back to finish him off and get that
valuable skill before taking on the TotHK! Then, you would have more
willpower, which is extremely important for facing the skeleton king.
The water orb would also be very useful as a willpower booster. I
usually get it before getting the RotHK.

As for talents, never choose heir, unless you're playing as a bard. And
don't get the hardy/skin talents unless you're a dwarf. Go for treasure
hunter and then the aura talents. The book caster talents are good
because elementalists don't seem to get enough books.

I would recommend you play as a wizard, instead. They get plenty of
books.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:08:05 -0800, Higher Game wrote:

> Spoiler space, just in case.

You should roughly double this number of lines when adding spoiler space.

Please quote what you're replying to. It makes it quite difficult to
follow comments without it.

> Well, first of all, consider that elementalists do not get spell books
> as often as wizards tend to. You have to focus on a combination of
> melee fighting, missile fighting, and spells. I would recommend axe,
> because the guaranteed artifact the dwarven mistic has is excellent for
> spellcasters. It's very light, reasonably powerful, and it gives fire
> resistance and toughness. It's also really, really good with rolf's
> shield!

But its not guaranteed. Chaotics get nothing from the mystic, and I think
there's a 50% chance of getting SoCRs for neutrals.

Higher Game wrote:
> Spoiler space, just in case.

> Well, first of all, consider that elementalists do not
> get spell books as often as wizards tend to. You have to
> focus on a combination of melee fighting, missile
> fighting, and spells.

Elementalists are also perhaps THE bad habit class of the
game (though priests might be a close second). Just
because they work so well for those first half-dozen a
levels or so, it's tempting to think you can play them in
a no-brainer style, just pushing forward without ever
stopping to consider your options or alter your tactics.
And with that approach by Clvl15 one usually finds himself
knee-deep in, um, trouble.

> I would recommend axe, because the guaranteed artifact
> the dwarven mistic has is excellent for spellcasters.
> It's very light, reasonably powerful, and it gives fire
> resistance and toughness. It's also really, really good
> with rolf's shield!

Sure that axe is nice for spellcasters, or any low-To
chars that don't want to bother themselves with too much
herb-scumming.

The only thing it lacks is DV bonuses, axe skill is
notorious for that. (Well, another bad thing about it is
giving up chance at some more freebie SoCRs.)

> Roy, he said he wasn't able to beat the dark druid, so
> he didn't have herbalism. You should have gone back to
> finish him off and get that valuable skill before taking
> on the TotHK!

Nah, it doesn't really work that way. You don't need
herbalism at all, at all to get your Wi/To to somewhere
around mid-twenties.

> Then, you would have more willpower, which is extremely
> important for facing the skeleton king. The water orb
> would also be very useful as a willpower booster. I
> usually get it before getting the RotHK.

I wouldn't say Wi is really important with the king. It IS
important with other confusing monsters, but then, the
king is all alone on his level, and he doesn't hit *too*
hard. And after you flee the (ice)bridge, undead slayers
should make short work of him. Also, elementalists
shouldn't have much trouble making NICE, BIG, COMFORTABLE
bridges, - possibly even freezing the entire lake.

Getting the Water Orb early might be somewhat questionable
too. I usually don't give up a chance at those 6 SoCRs too
easy, and prefer to visit the TotHK in hopes of finding
AoLS/wish before I let Khelly die.

> I would recommend you play as a wizard, instead. They
> get plenty of books.

And they're definitely more capable at single-minded,
straightforward, no-nonsense, blast-everything-to-high-
heavens-with-spells approach to the game than
Elementalists are.

--
roy axenov

Wtf is wrong with google!? I can't even make spoiler space if I wanted
to...

Higher Game wrote:
> Wtf is wrong with google!? I can't even make spoiler space if I wanted
> to...

Um... what /are/ you talking about? There's nothing complex about
spoiler space. All you do is hit Return/Enter about 20 times or more.
You seemed to get a few lines of space out in your earlier post; all you
have to do is add more.

And you're still not quoting what you're replying to.

Lots of posters use Google and they don't seem to encounter any problems.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst

Josh Singh wrote:
> Higher Game wrote:
>
>> Wtf is wrong with google!? I can't even make spoiler space if I
>> wanted to...
>>

> Um... what /are/ you talking about? There's nothing complex about
> spoiler space. All you do is hit Return/Enter about 20 times or more.
> You seemed to get a few lines of space out in your earlier post; all
> you have to do is add more.
>
> And you're still not quoting what you're replying to.
>
> Lots of posters use Google and they don't seem to encounter any
> problems.

I think empty lines may actually be killed by google groups. Do this:

..
..
..
..
..
..

instead of using blank lines.

To quote previous messages, you have to click on 'more options' and
reply to the message, DO NOT use the reply form at the bottom of the page.