MOHAA framerates

vidar

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
there is alot of complaining about low fps when playing MOHAA, what about those of you with really high end pc´s, what kind of numbers are you getting?
im building a new pc next month (XP1800+, 512mb pc2100 ddram, geforce4 ti4200) and im really exited to see how MOHAA will run on it.

aha!, 25posts, "newbie" status!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hope you don't mind me adding to that. sounds like you will do better then me. though I would like smoothly play in higher resolutions.

I used a resolution of 1600 X1200, and even went down to rghly 1360 X 800.
Some scenes bring my Gf2Ulra card down to it's knees.

I like to know if the more powerful cards have any problem running these high res.?

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

G

I have an XP2000+, 1GB DDRRam, GF4TI4600 videocard, Windows XP and get 40-60fps at highest resolution, and with all settings on maximum.

Speedfreak

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Sorry to be asking such a novice question -

But how do you find out the fps in games such as MOHAA

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I accidentally blow your head off.......again?

G

Download and install a utility called FRAPS. Don't have a link, but a search should find it. When you run it, frame rates will show up in one corner of your screen (depending upon how it is configured).

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
No kidding, I would of thought the frame rate was on the game somewhere. That's a nice utility.

How well does you gf4 do in high resolutions?

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

G

..... And what should you be aiming for? Whats an OK frame rate for a basic system running MOHAA?

G

I would target at least 30fps. Anything at 24fps or lower and you are at the "flicker fusion rate" of the human visual system (i.e., you can discern individual frames as they go by - thats why movement in really old movies, shot near 24fps look sort of jerky). FYI, VCRs play videos at a standard 30fps, individual frames cannot be identified.

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
...not to be impolite, but...

It's really starting to get annoying to see all these posts claiming the whole 24 fps thing ;) Please refer to the following thread to get the actual answer:
<a href ="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1">Click here</a>

Needless to say, aiming for an average of 60 frames per second is a better idea, since as it is stated, 60 is an average, there will be instances where it is slower and others when it is higher. What you want is to avoid dipping below 30 when it becomes really annoying to the eyes.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

G

Didn't take your comment as impolite. But, the 24fps figure is a minimum. Most of the comments in the referenced posts referred to the maximum framerate that can be percieved. Clearly, the higher the framerate (at least up to our limit of perception) the smoother the image will appear. By the way, the articles referenced at the end of the posts you pointed us to were quite good - I'm a professor at the Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville and specialize in the areas of vision and hearing - glad to see someone provide the community with factual information.

koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
p3 733
GF2 Ti 32MB
Intel D815EPEA2
SB Live
512 MB PC133
i get average 30 FPS when i set everything to high detail
Is it good enough?

"Giving Up is the step towards failure"

G

Since mohaa uses the quake3 engine you can enable the on screen fps counter by typing at the console(press the tilde key) 'cg_drawfps 1'. You will have to enable cheats first though i think which can be done by adding '+cheats 1' to the command line of your game shortcut..
I hope the last bit was right, someone correct me if i'm wrong..

Anyway playing it on my setup at 1240*1024 32bit, all settings at there highest i've noticed no perceptable slowdown..utterly playable.
asus a7m266, xp1800, 512 meg crucial ddr2100, gf3ti200, 40 gig ibm 120gxp, sounblaster live5.1 .. :)