YAGBU: dealing with doppelganger kings

Chapter 0.9.4 of the guidebook lists various ways of dealing with certain
annoying monsters. Doppelgangers, especially kings are listed as one such
class. When attempting to complete the game using a melee char (gnomish
beastfighter at about exp.level 24) I encountered not one but two DK's in
the cavernous levels of the TotHK. Not having darkness stuff or wands of
death (and naturally no death ray) I decided to try a wand of poison I had
in inventory.

The first one died easily. I first zapped the wand at it so that it got hit
both by the zapped beam and the reflected beam. At this point it was
already severely poisoned and fleeing in terror and the second zap that was
also reflected from wall finished it.

The second one was a bit harder. It managed to shrug off some zaps but it,
too, eventually fell to poison bolts.

Also, lately when collecting stuff around ID60 with my game winner lv 50
beastfighter (I'll post the VP once I've done some more collecting) I
encountered another DK. Since DK's apparently adjust to the power of the PC
I decided to try out if the wand still was effective, and even though it
took several zaps the DK fell to it.

I'd guess wands of webbing and wands of poison combined are an effective
method against DK's. I also tried the poison wand trick against ACW (works,
but the ACW kept healing itself), cat lord (works), ancient stone beast
(seems to work, but it has way too much HP) and Nuraag-Vaarn (doesn't seem
to be very effective).

J.

Juhani Polvi wrote:

Spoily, YAGBU-style...

Everyone knows I swear religiously by wands of poison, so I figured I'd
better speak up here.

> Chapter 0.9.4 of the guidebook lists various ways of dealing with certain
> annoying monsters. Doppelgangers, especially kings are listed as one such
> class. When attempting to complete the game using a melee char (gnomish
> beastfighter at about exp.level 24) I encountered not one but two DK's in
> the cavernous levels of the TotHK. Not having darkness stuff or wands of
> death (and naturally no death ray) I decided to try a wand of poison I had
> in inventory.
>
> The first one died easily. I first zapped the wand at it so that it got hit
> both by the zapped beam and the reflected beam. At this point it was
> already severely poisoned and fleeing in terror and the second zap that was
> also reflected from wall finished it.
>
> The second one was a bit harder. It managed to shrug off some zaps but it,
> too, eventually fell to poison bolts.

This is the problem here, the shrugging. Poison bolts are no more
effective against doppleganger kings than anything else.

> Also, lately when collecting stuff around ID60 with my game winner lv 50
> beastfighter (I'll post the VP once I've done some more collecting) I
> encountered another DK. Since DK's apparently adjust to the power of the PC
> I decided to try out if the wand still was effective, and even though it
> took several zaps the DK fell to it.

Several zaps again... I personally wouldn't waste zaps of poison against
DKs unless, like you, I /really/ didn't have anything else on hand.
They're far too valuable in the late game, in my opinion, especially for
taking down summoners behind enemy lines.

> I'd guess wands of webbing and wands of poison combined are an effective
> method against DK's. I also tried the poison wand trick against ACW (works,
> but the ACW kept healing itself), cat lord (works), ancient stone beast
> (seems to work, but it has way too much HP) and Nuraag-Vaarn (doesn't seem
> to be very effective).

Wands of poison are nice against chaos wizards, (greater) molochs,
balors, wyrms... lots of stuff, really.

I don't think this is YAGBU-worthy. For example, the point behind the
darkness tactic is that, if a doppleganger's ruse is to work, you have
to be able to see it. If you can't see it, no problem with confusion.
Same deal with Dorn beasts and their 69 eyes: if you can't see them, you
won't be paralyzed. The poison tactic is too generally applicable to be
doppleganger-specific.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst