A Whole Bunch of Newbie Questions

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all. I just starting playing ADOM and have some
concerns/questions:

1) Where do I find a light source? I went to the first dungeon SE of
the 1st village and need one. I don't want to be too high of a lvl.
when I get back there.

2) Is it worth it for a high elf fighter to get metallurgy?

3) Is the max. lvl. 50? It seems that I am levelling extremely
quickly - lvl. 5 in 25 min.!!

4) It said that my "sword class became lvl. 3" or something like
that. Where do I see that? I don't see weapons skills when pressing
a. Is there a maximum on this?

5) The max skill is 100%, but I started with high skills, up to 70%!!

6) How easy is it to add different skills later?

Thanks

Rob

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Rob wrote:
> Hi all. I just starting playing ADOM and have some
> concerns/questions:
>
> 1) Where do I find a light source? I went to the first
> dungeon SE of the 1st village and need one. I don't
> want to be too high of a lvl. when I get back there.

IIRC there is only one guaranteed lightsource. That is
the Phial of Caladriel. However I presume it is out of
your current league to actually fetch it. Alternative
light sources are pretty abundant and should turn up
eventually.

> 2) Is it worth it for a high elf fighter to get
> metallurgy?

I am not sure I understand the question. Where would you
get the skill?

> 3) Is the max. lvl. 50? It seems that I am levelling
> extremely quickly - lvl. 5 in 25 min.!!

Yes, but the last 10 levels are extremely steep XP wise.
Don't expect to keep the same pace of leveling throughout
the game.

> 4) It said that my "sword class became lvl. 3" or
> something like that. Where do I see that? I don't see
> weapons skills when pressing a. Is there a maximum on
> this?

CTRL+w. Maximum is 15 (grand mastery). This is mentioned
in the manual.

> 5) The max skill is 100%, but I started with high
> skills, up to 70%!!

Some skills are double or even triple trained from start
based on Le and class/race selection. Thus skills can be
pretty high from start.

> 6) How easy is it to add different skills later?

Depends. I suggest consulting the guidebook on the matter.
Some skills are fairly easy to add as they have a
guaranteed trainer while others require a wish to gain
with certainty. One exception is the Healing skill that
cannot be wished for (but have a guaranteed trainer).
Otherwise a scroll or potion of education may add a random
skill based on chance.

On 30 Jan 2005 11:44:30 -0800, Rob wrote:

It's a good idea to add a spoiler space before answer that few of folks
may find spoily. Press PgDn to see them (answers, not folks).
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
> 1) Where do I find a light source? I went to the first dungeon SE of
> the 1st village and need one. I don't want to be too high of a lvl.
> when I get back there.

There's a couple of light sources in ADOM. Most common is a torch to lit
which you need flint+steel and tinderbox. You can find all these items
during exploring dungeon.

> 2) Is it worth it for a high elf fighter to get metallurgy?

No. Or yes. Depending on your playing style.

> 3) Is the max. lvl. 50? It seems that I am levelling extremely
> quickly - lvl. 5 in 25 min.!!

It gets much more tedious in higher levels.

> 4) It said that my "sword class became lvl. 3" or something like
> that. Where do I see that? I don't see weapons skills when pressing
> a. Is there a maximum on this?

By pressing Ctrl-W. Yes.

> 5) The max skill is 100%, but I started with high skills, up to 70%!!

Good for you.

> 6) How easy is it to add different skills later?

Add? Like: acquire new skills or to improve on your old ones.

Anyway, whatever your answers are, I recommend heartily you read ADOM
FAQ which can be found here http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomfaq.html
It's the ultimate resource for beginner.

Rob wrote:

> Hi all. I just starting playing ADOM and have some
> concerns/questions:
>
> 1) Where do I find a light source? I went to the first dungeon SE of
> the 1st village and need one. I don't want to be too high of a lvl.
> when I get back there.

Dark rooms are very rare; you won't need one in the early or mid game,
and the game is perfectly winnable without one. Maybe you were unlucky
and the initial room was generated dark, but just find an exit by
bumping around and you'll be fine.

> 2) Is it worth it for a high elf fighter to get metallurgy?

Metallurgy is generally not worth it.

> 3) Is the max. lvl. 50? It seems that I am levelling extremely
> quickly - lvl. 5 in 25 min.!!

Yes, level 50 is maximum.

> 4) It said that my "sword class became lvl. 3" or something like
> that. Where do I see that? I don't see weapons skills when pressing
> a. Is there a maximum on this?

Weapon skills go up to 15. I could tell you the key for displaying
weapon skills, but I recommend finding it yourself in the keybinding so
that you find out what other commands you don't know about. :)

> 5) The max skill is 100%, but I started with high skills, up to 70%!!

Yes, that's not unusual at all. By the way, for many skills, very high
values (100) are a very significant improvement over merely high values
(like 70). Whether or not this is the case for a given skill is
mentioned in the manual, so check it out if you want to use your skill
increases optimally.

> 6) How easy is it to add different skills later?

Difficult. A few (fixed) skills can be learned from some NPCs by
completing quests etc., but those skills which are not in this set can
only be learned under very rare circumstances.

Malte