CPU & motherboard help!

G

Hey guys,

I am planning to buy a new mobo and cpu. A PIII 800B, and an ASUS CUSL2 mobo. Now, here are the questions I need help on.

1. I want to overclock, how would i do that with this mobo and cpu combination? Will this affect the type of memory I need to get?

2. What is a really good cooling fan and heatsink that will fit this mobo and cpu? I have heard of the Golden Orb.

3. Where can I get the fan and heatsink from?

Any other reccomendations are welcome!! Thanks for your help on this.

Jay

G

Everyone is raving about Athlon now (or T-bird), although you will see more than one posting on this site regarding heat issues (just make sure you have good ventilation, etc.). But if you choose to buy a PIII system, you can get more bank out of the E chips, because of the internal multiplier. Read to E or to EB on the CPU section of this forum, then read Tom's review of the CUSL platform and his old BX overclocking review. But,...

Don't give up on the idea of an Athlon based system. Read the reviews before you buy anything. If you are building a new system, 'socket A' main boards costs about the same (or less!), and they say its faster. Ask grizly1 for advice on this. He knows alot more about AMD.

Clonan

G

See www.thermaltake.com for info on ORBs. Many vendors carry them and will bundle them with your CPU for a minor discount. upgradeplanet.com has the ORBs and they might be a good place to look for $ comparisons, but I don't know if they will have the CPU/motherboard combo you eventually settle on.

Clonan

G

Thanks clonan,

I will take another look at other possibilities. Most definitly.

Thanks again

Jay

G

I just assambled a PIII800E/Cusl2-c with 256MB PC133 CAS2 last night. I will power it on tonight. The reason I finally choose PIII is that I think more and more applications will support SS2 earlier than 3D now.

My 2cents.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Jessey_wa

Forgive me but did you mean to type sse2 instead of ss2? If so you have me confused since near as I can tell sse2 is supported by p4 but p3 supports only plain sse. What did you mean by ss2? Future chips from both Intel and AMD are to support sse2 but are not likely to be compatible with a p3 style mobo.