Sign in with
Your question

Slow Internet

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 1, 2013 12:45:08 PM

I've previously put this problem on application but due to less response I was forced to put this here. So here's the deal my browsing and buffering speeds suck. I got a 2Mbps so I should get about 220-230KBps speeds right. But my browsing speeds remain less than 50KBps and buffering somehow reaches 70KBps. I am looking for a fix for almost 4years now so I'm in a a pretty pathetic condition here guys. What I already tried
Tweaking Mozilla in every way I can
Use different browsers chrome, comodo icedragon, comodo dragon, opera, navigator even IE for heavens sake.
Use different DNS servers, open DNS, google DNS, etc
VPN services
Speedbit video accelerator, some Internet enhancing software from avg, etc.
Blocked every possible ad, pop-up, etc. Using Adblock plus, ghostery, noscript, etc.
Also on many articles they said that I need to have a fast computer and let me assure you that my computer is not slow.

The condition of wifi is even worse. I use iPad and e71 using the same connection and both devices perform poorly in the speedtest.net bandwidth test. The scores are poorer than my computer.

I use a belkin router. My downloads reach full speed (220-230KBps constant) when downloading via IDM but can only go to 160KBps with erratic changes when using the inbuilt downloader in my browser.

More about : slow internet

January 1, 2013 12:47:49 PM

Best bet is the router or you're internet connection provider if you're getting the same speeds on each device
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 12:56:51 PM

if it a dsl conenction the telco company says you can get two megbits download speed but you have to be withing 1/2 mile of the telco home office. and you have to have new wiring and your street has to have good lines too. i would look into seeing if fios or comacst is in your area. a lot of vendors now have just isp packages that are not much more then old dsl packages.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 12:59:27 PM

No problems with the router used 3 routers over the years, and currently own two. I know I have a really worthless provider which seems to be the best in my country, but I am getting full speeds in
IDM and even when I an using only one connection in IDM.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:08:13 PM

smorizio said:
if it a dsl conenction the telco company says you can get two megbits download speed but you have to be withing 1/2 mile of the telco home office. and you have to have new wiring and your street has to have good lines too. i would look into seeing if fios or comacst is in your area. a lot of vendors now have just isp packages that are not much more then old dsl packages.

I am about 0.8 miles away from the office but when I first had his connection very less people used the particular provider almost 50 - 100 in a 1 mile radius and I still got low speeds then and now a little has changed in terms of speed. Why do I get full speeds in IDM even when using only one connection?
Is there anything I can do in my pc (maybe buy a component/software) to somehow improve my situation?
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:18:21 PM

Xttony said:
I am about 0.8 miles away from the office but when I first had his connection very less people used the particular provider almost 50 - 100 in a 1 mile radius and I still got low speeds then and now a little has changed in terms of speed. Why do I get full speeds in IDM even when using only one connection?
Is there anything I can do in my pc (maybe buy a component/software) to somehow improve my situation?

Nope,only way to improve speed's is by getting a better internet provider unless the problem is being caused by a Wi-Fi adapter issue if you're using Wireless internet
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:32:45 PM

ElectroiDFiRe said:
Nope,only way to improve speed's is by getting a better internet provider unless the problem is being caused by a Wi-Fi adapter issue if you're using Wireless internet

I just need to know that why am I getting full speeds while using IDM with only one connection enabled?
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:40:13 PM

Xttony said:
I just need to know that why am I getting full speeds while using IDM with only one connection enabled?

Wait,do you have like other devices that are usually turned on that takes up any internet from you're connection and never heard of IDM
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 1:58:48 PM

Had u tried DownThemAll add-on for FF, it offer paralel downloads like download manager if it can get better speed... (it works nice for me)

hard to tells what the problems since speed will depends on lots of factor... (and some are out of our control)

about IDM cannot tells for sure, I stop using it after using those adds on for FF (long time ago)
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:18:41 PM

If IDM is an acronym for "Internet Download Manager", this programs uses multiple thread to download a file which allows you to cap your bandwidth.

Most probably your issue when downloading in your browser with 1 thread is due to latency. Your upload speed on a 2mbs is prb around 128 or 256. So with 1 thread, your computer is basically "waiting" for a packet to be received then acknowledge before asking for the next...

By multi threading each thread is also waiting but overall you are able to max out the connexion.
m
l
January 1, 2013 3:22:15 PM

ElectroiDFiRe said:
Wait,do you have like other devices that are usually turned on that takes up any internet from you're connection and never heard of IDM

I DONOT have any other devices connected while I browse on my computer. If I even have my iPad just connected not using any bandwidth then I lose a little part of the download speed. IDM - Internet Download Manager
m
l
January 1, 2013 3:29:41 PM

rdc85 said:
Had u tried DownThemAll add-on for FF, it offer paralel downloads like download manager if it can get better speed... (it works nice for me)

hard to tells what the problems since speed will depends on lots of factor... (and some are out of our control)

about IDM cannot tells for sure, I stop using it after using those adds on for FF (long time ago)

I have downloadEmAll installed but I have IDM to handle my downloads. I need something or someway to boost my browsing and buffering speeds.
Thanks for the reply though :) 
m
l
January 1, 2013 3:36:11 PM

lafontma said:
If IDM is an acronym for "Internet Download Manager", this programs uses multiple thread to download a file which allows you to cap your bandwidth.

Most probably your issue when downloading in your browser with 1 thread is due to latency. Your upload speed on a 2mbs is prb around 128 or 256. So with 1 thread, your computer is basically "waiting" for a packet to be received then acknowledge before asking for the next...

By multi threading each thread is also waiting but overall you are able to max out the connexion.

As I already said before I get full speeds ~225KBps even with just one connection active. So when in IDM it uses one connection it should also be waiting like the browser and if I use the download the video option of IDM on any flash video I also get full speed (single connection) so why doesnot it buffer at that speed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 7:21:38 PM

one thing to is check that people are not leaching on your wifi. also look in the router see if there any network speed or usage settings. sometime these setting screw up on routers on slow networks. also check that the router firmware are up to date.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:40:10 AM

Only using the Internet on computer, wifi remains unactive until I use it. It is a home setup.also I don't think that someone has hacked into my network I use 128 bit encryption with Mac filtering on. Not saying that it cannot be hacked but it's just that the people here are to dumb to do it. How do I increase my security?

I don't see anything like network speed or usage settings.
Did find data rate under ADSL section which tell it is 2048Kbps which is correct

I tried to check for firmware updates but it turned me down with a message telling me tomcheck the LAN/wan connection even if Internet is working at the time.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:44:31 AM

Isn't there a software like a custom browser that use multiple connections to browse the Internet?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 11:59:44 PM

U can turn on parallel connection on Firefox from "about:config" but some website don't like those....

u can check network actual usage/connection from resource manager in w7.. and see what apps that using bandwidth

some ISP probe/scan connection/port of it's user...... so it could be lot's of factor. without actually see the computer/system cannot do much...
m
l
!