Sign in with
Your question

Asus MW221U brightness button sticking

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 26, 2012 7:16:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I've had this monitor about 5 years, so it's certainly served its purpose even though the brightness has begun to automatically increase by itself randomly (the brightness button is right next to the power button, so I'm presuming this is how it has gotten faulty).

This appears to be a known issue with this monitor around this age, but the only advice I've seen online is to take the monitor to a monitor service professional and have it examined/replace micro switch etc.

I don't really wanna do this, as I know I can pick up a 22" monitor fairly cheap - probably a similar price to paying someone to fix the controls... but I like the monitor, there is no dead pixels and the picture is sharp, I also like the design - basically I wanna keep it :) . It seems also that searching for monitor repairs in my area only returns cracked screen/replacement LCD screens for laptops too, where as my screen its self is fine.

Now my question...

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the OSD from popping up at all (I never use it), therefore If the brightness button went off on its own, it would have no effect?

Or does anyone know if a repair of this sort would be do able by someone like me (fairly tech savvy but never messed with the internals of a monitor before). If I have a bash at repairing it, and the monitor DOES end up broken, it's not the end of the world as at least I'd had a go.

For the record, I've tried cleaning behind the button with compressed air, and also tried prizing the button back a little to see if that stopped it triggering (it didn't which tells me its an internal problem). I do have some electrical contact cleaner (which I haven't yet used).

I am thinking of taking the screws out the back tonight, and trying to take the front surround off to have a look for any broken connections/muck, but thought I'd ask for any tips beforehand! I.E. Do's and Dont's.

Here's a pic...

http://www.bankoboev.ru/images/MTI4NzA1/Bankoboev.Ru_as...

Thanks all in advance for any advice you may be able to offer,

Andy
May 2, 2012 2:02:54 PM

I am having the exact same issues as you mentioned. Bump for some answers on whether it is indeed possible to disable the monitors buttons altogether
May 2, 2012 7:02:37 PM

Here is what I've done...

I prized the buttons back a bit by wedging a thin object behind the button cover. With the button behind exposed, I then used a large bent paperclip and hooked it around the button and gently pulled it towards me a tiny bit. I also gave it a good spray with compressed air just for good measure.

It's early days, so I can't guarantee this has fixed the problem, but it does seem to have helped A LOT in my case as since doing it (2 days ago) the menu has not popped up.

Though a big word of caution if you are to try this, be SUPER gentle with prizing the buttons back as mine are ever so slightly not flush with the screen surround anymore. This doesn't bother me so much as I'd prefer to have the brightness display off at whatever the cost, but it may bother you.

Let me know if you try it.

Related resources
May 13, 2012 12:08:27 PM

UPDATE! The volume button also started doing the exact same thing.

Solution: Ripped the buttons out, problem solved... (note - screen bezel not as attractive anymore, but the popping up got so frequent that I totally lost it and just savaged the thing... but now I have my awesome uninterrupted display back, it is HEAVEN!)
May 13, 2012 3:04:55 PM

UPDATE 2! DO NOT DO THIS!

After ripping the buttons out, and nailing the circuit board with compressed air can I thought this was the end of the issue. However, 20 minutes later, as I was enjoying a fight with a dragon on Skyrim, the chuffin' volume adjustment popped up... and would NOT go away!!! In my rage, I grabbed a can of electrical contact cleaner, and with the circuit board of the monitor now fully exposed I sprayed a generous amount on the likely affected area in a last ditch attempt to cure this god awful monitor disease... As expected the monitor never turned on again. But it felt real good drowning the sorry ass son of a bitch. Currently off to the shops to replace said monitor.
May 14, 2012 9:07:49 PM

UPDATE 3! This is definitely the final update (I promise). Ok, so once the contact cleaner had dried up, the monitor turned on again and all was fine... for a bit. Then the volume box popped up again. I went and bought a new monitor as I couldn't take it anymore. But as it didn't matter what happend to the ASUS monitor anymore, I had yet another tinker... This time I went a step further, I pulled back the metal surround again, and with some pliers removed the little buttons/switches off the board itself (the volume, and the brightness switch). Not being one for electronics I was expecting the thing not to turn on again, but it did! And, with the extra space behind the metal surround I managed to get push the metal back flush with the rest of the screen and it looks ok! NO MORE ANNOYING POP UP BOXES!!! (For definite this time, I promise).

One thing to note, when the monitor turns on, the brightness seems to default to 0 (or something low as its a little dark) so I do have to press the "splendid" button a couple of times to get it into which ever mode I want, but this is sooo much better pressing the menu button every 20 seconds in a rage and pulling my hair out.

Oh and now I have dual 22" displays, which is sweeet!

Cya.
!