Mad Minstrel's Obscured Song

Hi all, i've just delurked after about 2 years of Adom-losing.

I have a question - once i spoke to the mad minstrel and he sang a song
that was a bit longer than usual. Unfortunately, a bug(?) caused the
last lyrics to appear one after the other at the bottom line of the
screen, so that the last half of them was obscured by the [press any
key..] message. So do any of you guys know what the last few lines
say? Perhaps they're not bugged on another version. ( i use 1.1.1).
And what does the song refer to anyway?

The full thing ( i wrote it down) was:

The Song of the Mad Minstrel

I am the thorn in the foot, I am the blur in the sight,
I am the worm at the root, I am the thief in the night,
I am the rat in the wall, the leper that leers at the gate,
I am the ghost of the hall, herald of horror and hate.

I am the rust on the corn, I am the smut on the wheat,
Laughing man's labour to scorn, weaving a web for his feet,
I am canker and mildew and blight, danger and death and decay;
The rot of the rain by night, the blast of the sun by day.

I have digged in the desert sands to plunder ... [obscured]
There where pits where mad things drummed, a ... [obscured]
>From the hells beneath the hells, I bring y... [obscured]

(the last four verses are bugged, without them i don't know the
meaning)

As far as i can think, it ties in with the feeling that the minstrel
might be more than he's letting on.

Oh, and although i spoke to the minstrel in a couple of other times,
and i never heard this song again.

Incidentally, the minstrel told me a couple of other songs that aren't
in the GB. Is this a YABGU or do you folks know about them?
1 answer Last reply
More about minstrel obscured song
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    <avatar5@di-ve.com> wrote:

    > Hi all, i've just delurked after about 2 years of Adom-losing.
    >
    > I have a question - once i spoke to the mad minstrel and he sang a song
    > that was a bit longer than usual. Unfortunately, a bug(?) caused the
    > last lyrics to appear one after the other at the bottom line of the
    > screen, so that the last half of them was obscured by the [press any
    > key..] message. So do any of you guys know what the last few lines
    > say? Perhaps they're not bugged on another version. ( i use 1.1.1).
    > And what does the song refer to anyway?
    >
    > The full thing ( i wrote it down) was:
    >
    > The Song of the Mad Minstrel
    >
    > I am the thorn in the foot, I am the blur in the sight,
    > I am the worm at the root, I am the thief in the night,
    > I am the rat in the wall, the leper that leers at the gate,
    > I am the ghost of the hall, herald of horror and hate.
    >
    > I am the rust on the corn, I am the smut on the wheat,
    > Laughing man's labour to scorn, weaving a web for his feet,
    > I am canker and mildew and blight, danger and death and decay;
    > The rot of the rain by night, the blast of the sun by day.
    >
    > I have digged in the desert sands to plunder ... [obscured]
    > There where pits where mad things drummed, a ... [obscured]
    > From the hells beneath the hells, I bring y... [obscured]

    There seems to be a lot more missing, I had a quick look at the adom
    executable (I did nothing illegal) and there it says:

    The Song of the Mad Minstrel

    I am the thorn in the foot, I am the blur in the sight
    I am the worm at the root, I am the thief in the night.
    I am the rat in the wall, the leper that leers at the gate;
    I am the ghost in the hall, herald of horror and hate.

    I am the rust on the corn, I am the smut on the wheat,
    Laughing man's labor to scorn, weaving a web for his feet.
    I am canker and mildew and blight, danger and death and decay;
    The rot of the rain by night, the blast of the sun by day.

    I warp and wither with drouth, I work in the swamp's foul yeast;
    I bring the black plague from the south and the leprosy in from the east.
    I rend from the hemlock boughs wine steeped in the petals of dooms;
    Where the fat black serpents drowse I gather the Upas blooms.

    I have plumbed the northern ice for a spell like Frozen lead;
    In lost grey fields of rice, I have learned from Mongol dead.
    Where a bleak black mountainstands I have looted grisly caves;
    I have digged in the desert sands to plunder terrible graves.

    Never the sun goes forth, never the moon glows red,
    But out of the south or the north, I come with the slavering dead.
    I come with hideous spells, black chants and ghastly tunes;
    I have looted the hideen hells amd plundered the lost black moons.

    There was never a king or priest to cheer me by word or look,
    There was never a man or beast in the blood-black ways I took.
    There were crimson gulfs unplumbed, there were black wings over a sea,
    There were pits where mad things drummed, and foaming blasphemy.

    There were vast ungodly tombs where slimy monsters dreamed;
    There were clouds like blood-drenched plumes where unborn demons screamed.
    There were ages dead to Time, and lands lost out of Space;
    There were adders in the slime, and a dim unholy Face.

    Oh, the heart in my breast turned stone, and the brain froze in my skull--
    But I won through, I alone, and poured my chalice full
    Of horrors and dooms and spells, black buds and bitter roots--
    From the hells beneath the hells, I bring you my deathly
    fruits.

    Well what does he wants to tell us? Was he a great adventurer of some
    kind? I never cared much for what he is saying so I can't really answer
    your other questions.

    --
    Without facts, the decision cannot be made logically. You must rely on
    your human intuition.

    http://adombugs.100free.com/

Video Games