Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor Help

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 27, 2012 1:07:17 PM

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a single 27in 2560 x 1440 monitor (Korean Brand ~$350-400 )

Or go dual 22-23 monitors 1920x1080 (Decent Brand ~$350-400 for both).

I play many various games and program often.

More about : monitor

a c 105 C Monitor
April 27, 2012 1:46:19 PM

for starters realize that if you buy a "budget brand" not made by one of the well known manufacturers you are taking a gamble. while some products do perform as advertised, others are notoriously bad. also remember that foreign or no-name brands are almost impossible to find parts for and service technicians will have no information on them..

at 350-400 for two monitors i'm willing to gamble that both are tn panels. if you are okay with the fact that they have bad viewing angles then you should be fine.

the choice between one monitor and two depends on what you actually want to do with your pc. shooter games look best on one screen or three (or any odd number of screens) as the reticle would be in the center of the bezel with two panels. some strategy games are meant for split screen and work out quite nice. you could play mmo or rpg type games with any screen layout although i find a bezel distracting so i prefer one screen in this case. for programming two screens would be beneficial as you could then have an extra screen open for other windows or functions. two screens is great for productivity.

remember that you can have two screens but run a game on only one screen and leave the other off or have the other dedicated to such things as itunes (or other music), teamspeak (or equivalent), internet pages or any other such task you might want to have easy access to while playing a game. you could even have your programming application open and a game at the same time so you could swap back and forth between the two when you need a break.

other than the choice of brands everything else really just comes down to preferences.
m
l
April 27, 2012 2:10:44 PM

Interesting perspective, I am leaning towards 2 monitors. I would do the setup you are talking about with a slightly different orientation.

Have 1 monitor horizontal and 1 vertical. (Gaming on horizontal and browsing, programming, vent ect. on vertical).

Would it be strange to have 2 different resolutions? 1920x1080 on horizontal and something like 1600x900 on the vertical? Would I notice that much difference?
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 C Monitor
April 27, 2012 5:23:16 PM

i've had the chance to use two different monitors at two different sizes and resolutions in the past and the result was me disconnecting one monitor and just using the one. although technically it will work (but not for "dualscreening" applications) it was so irritating that i wouldnt ever suggest it.

as far as rotating just one monitor... i'm not sure how windows would treat that. most likely apps would be the same size but you would still have the problem of not being able to dualscreen apps and also that apps maximized on one size will perhaps be offscreen when swapped to the other side.

generally speaking having both monitors in the same orientation is the best. both vertical or both horizontal. a compromize between the two is to get an older 4:3 style monitor in 1600x1200. as the resolution is almost square it will work adequately for both tasks.
m
l
April 30, 2012 6:06:20 AM

ssddx said:
i've had the chance to use two different monitors at two different sizes and resolutions in the past and the result was me disconnecting one monitor and just using the one. although technically it will work (but not for "dualscreening" applications) it was so irritating that i wouldnt ever suggest it.

as far as rotating just one monitor... i'm not sure how windows would treat that. most likely apps would be the same size but you would still have the problem of not being able to dualscreen apps and also that apps maximized on one size will perhaps be offscreen when swapped to the other side.

generally speaking having both monitors in the same orientation is the best. both vertical or both horizontal. a compromize between the two is to get an older 4:3 style monitor in 1600x1200. as the resolution is almost square it will work adequately for both tasks.

See now this answer makes me want to go with the Korean monitor. I'm willing to take a gamble on one of them especially since I've read maybe 2 bad reviews on the MANY hours that I have spent reading about them. Plus I play every game I own in windowed mode so having it at 1080p with extra landscape to spare doesn't seem out of the question.

jfizzle4321 said:
I would just go three monitors. What kind of GPU are you playing with, what kind of games?

I have 3 of the following:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Im running on a GTX 460, 768mb atm and I don't really have the option to SLI since my current mobo only has 1 pci-e 16x. I've stepped away from many of the shooter games and have been playing League of Legends, Starcraft2, and soon Diablo 3.
m
l

Best solution

a c 105 C Monitor
April 30, 2012 11:18:20 AM

i'm not going to push you away from the korean monitor but just keep one thing in mind...

1920x1080 is going to look a bit small on the screen. you might end up enlarging the window to play the game which will affect the processing power required by the gpu. as a worst case scenario look at the toms hardware gpu charts and plot out where your monitor lands frames per second wise at 2560x1440 for some newer non first person shooter games.

i dont think there will be a problem with such games as diablo III but i suggest always looking first. we dont want there to be any suprises and you will most likey be fullscreening at one point or another. or at the very least it gives you some processing leadway on the gpu.

to be blunt... a 2560 monitor is probably what i would be running myself if it werent for the varied nature of my rig. since over half of the usage is devoted nowdays to console systems or movies a 40" 1080p tv was my ideal choice. no point in going with anything larger as my content maxes out at 1080p. for the pc games i do play 1080p is more than good enough.

so if it fits your playstyle good luck.. just do the fps check i mentioned first!
April 30, 2012 4:13:46 PM

Best answer selected by shockerfest.
m
l
!