I was killing lich kings in a greater undead vault with my grey elven
wizard at level 30, CoC 46. Because I couldn't access the library (only
70 something climbing) and I killed Yergius earlier (so no detect traps
for mana temple), I decided to get whatever was in this vault. Using
the magic map spell showed a really good looking, tempting item deep in
the vault. My death report showed that there were 3 artifacts I missed:
the shield protector, the fine leather armor, and the RING OF IMMUNITY.
:(

Most of the monsters were very experienced, but acid ball was merciless
against them. I cleared the outside of the temple easily and gained a
level, so I decided I would take on the center.

I died when an emperor lich summoned a ridiculous amount of monsters
(enough to fill the vault!), I couldn't get close enough to ball him
(and arrows would also be useless), so I used bolts. He is IMMUNE to
bolts through shrugging. His confusion ignores a blessed amulet of free
action. Finally, he has an instakill death ray attack that killed me in
one hit. All of this on top of being "very experienced" due to the
vault and depth of the CoC.

I can't see how these things are beatable for normal, non scumming,
characters. Greater undead vaults ARE NOT HARD like people say. It's
only the EMPEROR that's hard. I don't know a single way to kill them
short of getting 96 willpower through archmage and very great ball
spells from the range boost. There's just no way a normal character can
beat them...

TB should make king lichs stronger. Their ease spoiled me and made me
think I could take on the emperor. And my crowned robes of resistance
spoiled me into not wearing the AMW. It's not fair. :(

Looking back, there were only a few more things I could have done. I
could have done bugville for some speed (after level 30, I don't think
levels matter so much anymore), even though I already had 7lbs. I could
have ran through the mana temple without my stuff and prayed through
the ceiling traps. I could have climbed mountains in the wilderness to
get to 100. I could have scummed wands for my mana battery corruption
and hope to get wish at the library. I could have gone blue dragon
hunting. I could have done so much more...

My next character might be a mindcrafter with melee and arrow backup. I
can't tolerate calculating where 18 range bolts are going to go and
pure melee is too hard.

Arg! I posted a nice, quoted reply with the "show options" and "reply
to author", but it didn't show up. This forum is so weird...

I'll just stick to this replying method because it works for me.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe +20 was low effectivity. I had lots of
castings (over 2000 for some!). And, it would be nice if I could cast
spells faster so I could follow up a spell (to kill summons) with an
arrow.

The big annoyance was getting hit with my own magic missiles. I had
over 5000 castings of that spell. Since it's hard to shrug off, I
should have used it instead of acid bolt. However, getting hit with my
own missiles was just too annoying, so I didn't use it.

I'm getting mixed messages. I hear "you're stupid for taking on the
vault" and "ELs aren't so hard". Maybe both are true, but I only had
the EL and a few lower undead to kill before getting some great
artifacts.

"Higher Game" <sidneyg83@yahoo.com> wrote in

> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> His confusion ignores a blessed amulet of free action.

It would. Amulets of free action grant resistance to paralysis, not
confusion.

Higher Game wrote:
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> I can't see how these things are beatable for normal, non scumming,
> characters. Greater undead vaults ARE NOT HARD like people say. It's
> only the EMPEROR that's hard. I don't know a single way to kill them
> short of getting 96 willpower through archmage and very great ball
> spells from the range boost. There's just no way a normal character can
> beat them...

I didn't read the entire message for reasons better expressed by Josh.
Nevertheless, some comments:

In versions of ADOM before 1.1.0, greater undead vaults would usually
contain about 15 or so emperor liches. That's why those vaults were
considered very hard back then. They have lost a lot of their difficulty
now that they only contain one emperor lich.

Killing an emperor lich certainly does not require being an archmage or
anything else extraordinary like that. Every character should be able to
defeat them in missile combat with undead slaying ammunition. Just
remember to keep practicing your Bow and/or Crossbow skills.

Malte

Higher Game wrote:
> Josh Singh wrote:
>
>>Higher Game wrote:

MASSIVE snip

> What is wrong with you man? I just got upset over losing a character
> and I have no idea why my messages don't show up. I tried "reply to
> author" and nothing happened. Now I'm trying the normal "reply" under
> "show options".

And now you quote back a very lengthy post in it's entirity, not even
snipping the sig, to add one small and useless reply? You know, I do
usually only killfile people for trolling, but I think you just about
make it through sheer stupidity and unwillingness to learn. Bye.

Higher Game wrote:

> Arg! I posted a nice, quoted reply with the "show options" and "reply
> to author", but it didn't show up. This forum is so weird...

This is not a "forum" (in the sense this word is typically used). To
avoid further problems, please read the r.g.r.adom FAQ which has some
information on most of the things Josh has been talking about. Here is a
link:

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html

If you have trouble posting, consider using a real newsreader rather
than some web interface. All web interfaces I know are very bad ways of
accessing a newsgroup.

> I'll just stick to this replying method because it works for me.

If you don't make it easier for them, most people will stick to ignoring
your posts because it works for them. :)

Malte

TRENDING THREADS