celeron overclocking

G

This will probably be a blast from the past for most of you.
I am surpised that my 400(66) celeron is refusing to take any more than 66MHz.
If I set it to 75 it goes all the way to the windows splash screen and just hangs as it is about to display the desktop.

I'm wondering if it is having problems with a piece of hardware since it seems to go into windows ok in safe mode at this speed.
Could it be the voodoo2 card in the AGP or the sound card or something like that?

(It's an ABIT BX MBoard).

Hope someone can help me understand this

lasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you are using a socket 370 processor and socket converter card in a slot1 motherboard you might have the problem that the socketcard will not accept other speeds than 66, 100 and 133 MHz.

G

There is also a good possibility that the AGP/PCI slots will not run at the higher bus speed. That is the problem when upping the FSB to overclock...it stresses the system bus also.

What kind of memory do you have? If you only have PC66 RAM, then it won't be able to run at 75. Try some PC100 and see what that does for you.

Finally, make sure heat isn't a problem. Make sure you have good system airflow before any attempts at overclocking.

By the way, my two systems are a Celeron 466 and K6-2+ 550, so I'm as much in the past as you!

misu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
mine works at 83 (400 model also) with the adaptor from soket 370 to slot1. Over 83 using soft fsb windoze hangs. I also have a BIOS option to OC it up to 500(83). It's well ventilated, around 6 coolers in the case.
Check under overclocking CPU forun smth about cheap overclocking i posted :)
For the CPU i have a brand intel slot1 celly cooler and fan attached with a simple wire :) (thermal paste also)

I have a voodoo3 1000 some say it's like a banshee and works fine at 500 that's around 80 AGP and 41 PCI. I can also overclock the voodoo to around 180

My board it's a via

Misu
__'_