Sign in with
Your question

120Hz monitors good for gaming?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 29, 2012 3:05:54 AM

I am looking at getting a 120Hz monitor specifically for gaming but my friend reckons that they are no good for gaming though to me it makes sense that they would be because of the refresh rate.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
April 30, 2012 3:23:52 AM

You are correct! It will make a positive difference for fast action games; for other games the difference will not be noticeable.
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:29:31 AM

Ya i'm looking at getting a 120Hz monitor next month sometime for my new build and i'm having a very hard time finding a good cross-section of reviews and usually when I find a string of reviews about any 120Hz monitors it's 50/50 whether it's recommended or not vs other monitors.

I'm still thinking BenQ 2420T 3D Vision as it apparently has very good 2nd gen 3d should I ever add the kit.

EDIT:

I think the main problem i'm having is finding good reviews on Samsung's to compare.

If anyone knows a good site that reviews monitors in a categorical way it would be much appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 108 C Monitor
April 30, 2012 11:22:01 AM

the only real reason to have a 120hz monitor is for gaming or 3d or a combination of both. the problem is that all 120hz monitors are tn type panels which are the lowest quality panel you can get.

personally i feel that stepping up to a better panel type is a much better option then getting a better refresh rate which personally i can not say i notice a huge difference. i can notice a difference between a tn panel and something nicer though.

the choice is yours... you have to decide if you want to go with a quality panel with better viewing angles or if a fast refresh rate matters most to you. note that you arent going to "be better" at games because of a panel type so its only just your own preferences.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
April 30, 2012 2:42:12 PM

If you are heavily into fast action games, go for the 120 Hz. The key is 'fast action'.
m
l
September 8, 2012 5:35:50 PM

ssddx said:
the only real reason to have a 120hz monitor is for gaming or 3d or a combination of both. the problem is that all 120hz monitors are tn type panels which are the lowest quality panel you can get.

personally i feel that stepping up to a better panel type is a much better option then getting a better refresh rate which personally i can not say i notice a huge difference. i can notice a difference between a tn panel and something nicer though.

the choice is yours... you have to decide if you want to go with a quality panel with better viewing angles or if a fast refresh rate matters most to you. note that you arent going to "be better" at games because of a panel type so its only just your own preferences.

Whats so bad about tn type panels?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 129 C Monitor
September 8, 2012 5:44:34 PM

Ubrales said:
If you are heavily into fast action games, go for the 120 Hz. The key is 'fast action'.

Personally, it's not the fast action part that matters. It's whether or not the game is 1st person or over the shoulder and controlled by a mouse (almost all PC games). If you are moving your view constantly with a mouse, and are viewing at near 1st person view, 120hz feels a ton smoother. It also reduces if not removes motion sickness which many people experience (50% of the population to some extent).
m
l
!