Corrupt display - MSN Games

Last response: in Video Games
September 14, 2005 9:29:03 AM

When I click on MSN Game Zone I go to the right url. When the page downloads
it does not appear to have all it's components. The background "blue" color
is often missing. I see text - oversized text - where I should be seeing a
clickable link. Sometimes it happens on the initial page and the "sign-in"
link is on the left side instead of the right. When you hit the hot spot
(after locating it in whatever mishmash of text is up there) and you move on
to the next page where you can pick your game, the larger game icons overlap
each other vertically (eg. from "sign in page" to card and board games" which
takes you to the presentation of icons and a list of more games below the
icons). I can manoeuvre around in this but I shouldn't have to. I"ve played
on the zone for years but I can't figure this one out. This is a sudden
change.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the zone at least 3 times. I have
deleted the appropriate directories and files regarding "conflict"
directories etc. I have emptied all my temp files - everywhere. I have
reloaded my video drivers.

The only change I made was to dl Microsoft's Antispyware two days ago. I
removed it yesterday when I saw what was happening thinking it was blocking
something. I ended up rolling my system back to a few days ago when it was
ok. It loaded ok first time but after that reverted to corrupt display. All
my hardware/software updates are up-to-date.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:08:03 PM

Jany Doe wrote:
> When I click on MSN Game Zone I go to the right url. When the page downloads
> it does not appear to have all its components. The background "blue" color
> is often missing. I see text - oversized text - where I should be seeing a
> clickable link. Sometimes it happens on the initial page and the "sign-in"
> link is on the left side instead of the right. When you hit the hot spot
> (after locating it in whatever mishmash of text is up there) and you move on
> to the next page where you can pick your game, the larger game icons overlap
> each other vertically (eg. from "sign in page" to card and board games" which
> takes you to the presentation of icons and a list of more games below the
> icons). I can manoeuver around in this but I shouldn't have to. I"ve played
> on the zone for years but I can't figure this one out. This is a sudden
> change.
>
> I have uninstalled and re-installed the zone at least 3 times. I have
> deleted the appropriate directories and files regarding "conflict"
> directories etc. I have emptied all my temp files - everywhere. I have
> reloaded my video drivers.
>
> The only change I made was to dl Microsoft's Antispyware two days ago. I
> removed it yesterday when I saw what was happening thinking it was blocking
> something. I ended up rolling my system back to a few days ago when it was
> ok. It loaded ok first time but after that reverted to corrupt display. All
> my hardware/software updates are up-to-date.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on here. Any suggestions?

Here are some ideas:

- A Zone webmaster messed up while inserting a new ad, and it'll be
fixed later.

- A JScript, or Java request is being blocked by the antispyware, so you
need to add the Zone site to its "Allow" list, if it has one.

- Click the Refresh button, press F5, or press Ctrl/F5 to possibly fix
the screen display.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:35:01 PM

Can only certain configurations be affected?

"+Elmo_Tech" wrote:

> Jany Doe wrote:
> > When I click on MSN Game Zone I go to the right url. When the page downloads
> > it does not appear to have all its components. The background "blue" color
> > is often missing. I see text - oversized text - where I should be seeing a
> > clickable link. Sometimes it happens on the initial page and the "sign-in"
> > link is on the left side instead of the right. When you hit the hot spot
> > (after locating it in whatever mishmash of text is up there) and you move on
> > to the next page where you can pick your game, the larger game icons overlap
> > each other vertically (eg. from "sign in page" to card and board games" which
> > takes you to the presentation of icons and a list of more games below the
> > icons). I can manoeuver around in this but I shouldn't have to. I"ve played
> > on the zone for years but I can't figure this one out. This is a sudden
> > change.
> >
> > I have uninstalled and re-installed the zone at least 3 times. I have
> > deleted the appropriate directories and files regarding "conflict"
> > directories etc. I have emptied all my temp files - everywhere. I have
> > reloaded my video drivers.
> >
> > The only change I made was to dl Microsoft's Antispyware two days ago. I
> > removed it yesterday when I saw what was happening thinking it was blocking
> > something. I ended up rolling my system back to a few days ago when it was
> > ok. It loaded ok first time but after that reverted to corrupt display. All
> > my hardware/software updates are up-to-date.
> >
> > I'm not sure what's going on here. Any suggestions?
>
> Here are some ideas:
>
> - A Zone webmaster messed up while inserting a new ad, and it'll be
> fixed later.
>
> - A JScript, or Java request is being blocked by the antispyware, so you
> need to add the Zone site to its "Allow" list, if it has one.
>
> - Click the Refresh button, press F5, or press Ctrl/F5 to possibly fix
> the screen display.
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
>
> Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
> "com" if you want to email me.

September 15, 2005 1:26:43 AM

I am having this exact same problem, I was playing Collapse, Rocket Mania,
Combo Chaos, and Zuma one evening... the next morning, I had corrupt
HTML/Java/ActiveX or whatever the heck control is missin'... any help would
be appreciated...

"Jany Doe" <JanyDoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on MSN Game Zone I go to the right url. When the page
> downloads
> it does not appear to have all it's components. The background "blue"
> color
> is often missing. I see text - oversized text - where I should be seeing
> clickable link. Sometimes it happens on the initial page and the
> "sign-in"
> link is on the left side instead of the right. When you hit the hot spot
> (after locating it in whatever mishmash of text is up there) and you move
> on
> to the next page where you can pick your game, the larger game icons
> overlap
> each other vertically (eg. from "sign in page" to card and board games"
> which
> takes you to the presentation of icons and a list of more games below the
> icons). I can manoeuvre around in this but I shouldn't have to. I"ve
> played
> on the zone for years but I can't figure this one out. This is a sudden
> change.
>
> I have uninstalled and re-installed the zone at least 3 times. I have
> deleted the appropriate directories and files regarding "conflict"
> directories etc. I have emptied all my temp files - everywhere. I have
> reloaded my video drivers.
>
> The only change I made was to dl Microsoft's Antispyware two days ago. I
> removed it yesterday when I saw what was happening thinking it was
> blocking
> something. I ended up rolling my system back to a few days ago when it
> was
> ok. It loaded ok first time but after that reverted to corrupt display.
> All
> my hardware/software updates are up-to-date.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on here. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:25:02 AM

"Misery loves company". I'm glad I'm not the only one. There must be more
then. It must be something Microsoft has done. I had another issue and a
pretty bare computer so I reformatted my hard drive. Made absolutely no
difference (other than I got a nice clean install this time - which I didn't
have last time :)  ). However it did not fix my zone problem.
And it is only gaming that I can see. I have no problems elsewhere.
But this is a mess.

"Todd Anderson" wrote:

> I am having this exact same problem, I was playing Collapse, Rocket Mania,
> Combo Chaos, and Zuma one evening... the next morning, I had corrupt
> HTML/Java/ActiveX or whatever the heck control is missin'... any help would
> be appreciated...
>
> "Jany Doe" <JanyDoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on MSN Game Zone I go to the right url. When the page
> > downloads
> > it does not appear to have all it's components. The background "blue"
> > color
> > is often missing. I see text - oversized text - where I should be seeing
> > clickable link. Sometimes it happens on the initial page and the
> > "sign-in"
> > link is on the left side instead of the right. When you hit the hot spot
> > (after locating it in whatever mishmash of text is up there) and you move
> > on
> > to the next page where you can pick your game, the larger game icons
> > overlap
> > each other vertically (eg. from "sign in page" to card and board games"
> > which
> > takes you to the presentation of icons and a list of more games below the
> > icons). I can manoeuvre around in this but I shouldn't have to. I"ve
> > played
> > on the zone for years but I can't figure this one out. This is a sudden
> > change.
> >
> > I have uninstalled and re-installed the zone at least 3 times. I have
> > deleted the appropriate directories and files regarding "conflict"
> > directories etc. I have emptied all my temp files - everywhere. I have
> > reloaded my video drivers.
> >
> > The only change I made was to dl Microsoft's Antispyware two days ago. I
> > removed it yesterday when I saw what was happening thinking it was
> > blocking
> > something. I ended up rolling my system back to a few days ago when it
> > was
> > ok. It loaded ok first time but after that reverted to corrupt display.
> > All
> > my hardware/software updates are up-to-date.
> >
> > I'm not sure what's going on here. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:21:33 PM

I still have no fix for zone.com, and yes it's exactly like you say, it's
ONLY Zone... just for kicks, I clicked on every other link on the MSN home
page and they all worked just fine... it appears to me that Zone is having
problems connecting to Passport, among other things...
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:12:47 PM

So I'm curious what sort of differences your system and my system have,
because I can use the computer upstairs with no problem. But I can't use my
own. I'm using an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon XP 64 bit
processor. You?
And yes any of the other links I've tried - be it MSN or anyone else - I
have no difficulty.

"Todd Anderson" wrote:

> I still have no fix for zone.com, and yes it's exactly like you say, it's
> ONLY Zone... just for kicks, I clicked on every other link on the MSN home
> page and they all worked just fine... it appears to me that Zone is having
> problems connecting to Passport, among other things...

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:30:58 PM

Jany Doe wrote:
> So I'm curious what sort of differences your system and my system have,
> because I can use the computer upstairs with no problem. But I can't use my
> own. I'm using an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon XP 64 bit
> processor. You?
> And yes any of the other links I've tried - be it MSN or anyone else - I
> have no difficulty.
>

> "Todd Anderson" wrote:
>

>>I still have no fix for zone.com, and yes it's exactly like you say, it's
>>ONLY Zone... just for kicks, I clicked on every other link on the MSN home
>>page and they all worked just fine... it appears to me that Zone is having
>>problems connecting to Passport, among other things...

It might help to turn off "Enable Automatic Image Resizing". Go to the
Internet Properties (Internet Options), Advanced tab, scroll down to the
Multimedia section, and deselect that option.

The Zone uses JScript, Java, and Shockwave Flash. One of those could be
the problem, though SWF is much less likely to be related to this problem.

- You can look at Java settings in the Control Panel.

- If JScript is damaged, here's a link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236846/

- Flash, like Heartbeat, is an ActiveX component. You can look at some
by clicking Tools, "Manage Addons..". But a complete list of components
is available by clicking, Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View
Objects. You can right-click a component listed as Damaged, and click
Repair, but you can also Delete it and wait till it's needed again when
it will be reloaded.

--
+Elmo_Tech
Anonymous

Jany Doe wrote:
> So I'm curious what sort of differences your system and my system have,
> because I can use the computer upstairs with no problem. But I can't use my
> own. I'm using an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon XP 64 bit
> processor. You?
> And yes any of the other links I've tried - be it MSN or anyone else - I
> have no difficulty.
>

> "Todd Anderson" wrote:
>

>>I still have no fix for zone.com, and yes it's exactly like you say, it's
>>ONLY Zone... just for kicks, I clicked on every other link on the MSN home
>>page and they all worked just fine... it appears to me that Zone is having
>>problems connecting to Passport, among other things...

I have 1024 x 768 screen resolution. This causes the Zone pages to not
line up very well. Turning off the automatic resizing of images helped
somewhat with overlap, but the ad just below, and right of the member
count still hangs left where it's not aligned with the "Ad" header.
That screen resolution also causes many blocks of background to not
align properly.

--
+Elmo_Tech
Anonymous

After two aggravating days the pages are back in all their glory. This
morning it was corrupt - that was after a reformat last night (I was planning
to do that anyway). Tonight it seems to be fine. And I've been at work all
day.

Those gremlins musta had a busy day.

Thanks for responding. It's gratifying to know someone's listening.

"+Elmo_Tech" wrote:

> Jany Doe wrote:
> > So I'm curious what sort of differences your system and my system have,
> > because I can use the computer upstairs with no problem. But I can't use my
> > own. I'm using an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon XP 64 bit
> > processor. You?
> > And yes any of the other links I've tried - be it MSN or anyone else - I
> > have no difficulty.
> >

> > "Todd Anderson" wrote:
> >

> >>I still have no fix for zone.com, and yes it's exactly like you say, it's
> >>ONLY Zone... just for kicks, I clicked on every other link on the MSN home
> >>page and they all worked just fine... it appears to me that Zone is having
> >>problems connecting to Passport, among other things...
>
> I have 1024 x 768 screen resolution. This causes the Zone pages to not
> line up very well. Turning off the automatic resizing of images helped
> somewhat with overlap, but the ad just below, and right of the member
> count still hangs left where it's not aligned with the "Ad" header.
> That screen resolution also causes many blocks of background to not
> align properly.
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:14:10 PM

You were'nt alone in experiencing this problem.. my guess is that it wasn't
the fault of your system, more likely a case of a faulty page released from
zone that was cached by yr ISP.. until their cache expired and they renewed
the problem was always going to be there.

news:D 0E8C615-A917-4F26-A1E3-79BA6F3B3A95@microsoft.com...

!