I am considering a new laptop for next year. I already have one or two in mind, but just wanna hear other people’s opinions.
1. What is your budget?
Definitely below $2,000. Let’s say $1,200 - $1,800 for a decent spread.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14” screen. 13” is too small for my tastes and 15” will make it too heavy for me to consider. It must have an anti-glare coating. I do not like glossy screens.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Whatever is standard for 14” screen or 1600 x 900
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. Preferably under 5lbs.
5. How much battery life do you need?
I would like a decent amount of battery life so… approximately 4-5 hours.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Sure, why not? Fallout: NV, Mass Effect 2, King’s Bounty: Armored Princess, Crysis 2, X3: Terran Conflict, Dragon Age 2. I can live with medium settings on a laptop. I have a desktop for real gaming.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Video encoding using H.264 in a pinch, if necessary. It must be powerful enough to surf the web and I must be able to use the calculator that’s included with Windows or Excel ‘cause sometimes I forget what 1 + 0 equals.
I can live with a dual core CPU.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not too much. 250GB should be fine for a typical laptop HDD. If I decide to go with a SSD then say 128GB or so to bring the cost down.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Just wanna avoid sites like e-bay.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I wanna use it ‘til the day I die.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
At least a DVD burner.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I’ll give a very generic answer… I want a brand that is known for high quality, reliability and durability. That should narrow down the selection a bit. It would be interesting to see what suggestions people have that would fit these criteria.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Looking to buy during the 1st quarter of next year so there’s no need to tell me about current deals ‘cause I will not be jumping on them unless there’s something that fits my criteria for $500 or less.
All three fills the majority of my requirements like high quality, reliability and durability. What's lacking is obviously the graphics chip. While the ThinkPad T410s is the most expensive @ $1,700 it is also my 1st choice at the moment.