metamp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My P III 500 overheated after year and 3 months
I just do not know what to go for, to buy Intel again or switch to AMDs

Price = AMD
Performance = AMD
reliability = I don't know

the tom's guide says that the AMDs can run as hot as possible without damage but Intels get fried over 69 C

which processors are more reliable ? Intel or AMD

G

No matter which one you buy, invest in the best when it comes to cooling, it will live longer and prosper...

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you're beggin' for trouble here:)
You're gonna get people saying how Intel burned on them, now they love AMD. You're gonna get people saying how AMD sucked, they love Intel. And variations on the theme.

These are all personal experiences, and not -really- necessarily representative of the real situation.

On average, if system is well built your PC should give you years and years of reliable service, regardless of whether you go for AMD or Intel. If the system is poorly built, it's gonna crash a lot, and maybe even die eventually - regardless of whether you go for AMD or Intel.
Motherboards & system setup are at least, if not much more, important to stability & reliability than just plain CPU decision...
(personally, I've had decent experiences with both AMD & Intel. Heck, even my Cyrix 586-100Mhz, a complete garbage by any resonable standard, still chugs happily after 5 years:)
Just remember to get a decent system with decent components, and either have it assembled by somebody who knows what they're doing, or you assemble it yourself with help from sites and forums like this.
Good Luck:)

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PS AMD -CAN'T- run as 'hot as it gets', (nor can Intel). I think average lifetime of a modern processor without heatsink/fan is about 2 seconds!
Make SURE you cool them well:)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey I ran my 750 without a fan for 30 min! Of course it was so hot that when i touched it (not a smart idea) i had burn streaks on my fingers for a couple of weeks. Holy crap i ws surprised it worked ROFLMAO I think it was 123 degrees!

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
um, was it the slot athlon or socket Tbird?
I'm surprised... they are usually dead by then... you were pretty lucky I guess:)
(kids, don't try that at home:)
(oh, did you still have the heatsink on [just the fan off], or was it completely naked?)

G

if your boards any good stixck with it if not scrap it and start again

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh yeah there was a little crappy piece of "heatsink" crap. I would barely call it a heatsink LOL

it was a Slot A too. im going for socket A next year with palomino or the thunderbird.

Dravic

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
believe it or not i did the same thing here. I installed win98 on my rig before i realized that i hadnt plugged the heatsink fan back in(just switched from a Duron Monster HSF to a Taisol HSF). HOLY crap was that thing hot.. I guess that fact that I had it only running at 650 for the install saved my chip, overclocked at 896 that thing would have fried.

got lucky...

oh and i highly recommend taisol HSF combos.. hehe

Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 650@896
128MB pc133@149cas2
Geforce2mx(205/215)
Antect s1030/sblive+