Why does windows 7 logon and logoff sound keep playing constantly

zeronetwo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I don't know why this is happening but all of a sudden my windows 7 keeps playing the logon and logoff sounds back to back and constantly.

I've rebooted my computer to no avail. I tried running a bunch of "Microsoft Fixit" tools and nothing works. This is really disconcerting since I still can't figure out what is causing this problem.

If there is anyone that can shed a little insight into why this could be occurring I would greatly appreciate it.

Some recent changes to my system include the following:

I recently cleared the CMOS RTC RAM data in order to reset the BIOS password.

(Don't know if that could cause the type of problem I'm having now, but if it is, there's no indication of it in Action center and as I mentioned, trouble-shooting tools don't show any problems.)

str8cuse

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
try restarting the windows audio service. also you can check in control panel under sounds and see if you are using the default windows sound theme or if its been (modified).

zeronetwo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I checked out the configurations in control panel and everything seems fine.

I wasn't sure exactly how to restart the windows audio service but I ran the Configure a Device troubleshooter under "Hardware & Sound" and came across some issues. The details are below:

There is a problem with the driver for I:\ Reinstalling the driver might fix the problem.

Problem detected with ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S ATA Device

Device Status:
A driver for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code32)

Trouble Has Completed

Problems Found

ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S ATA Device is not working properly Detected

Hardware changes might not have been detected Detected

As you can see, troubleshooter was unable to fix the problem. When I first noticed this problem with the sound I also had a minor problem with my printer at the same time. After I went to "Devices and Printers" I noticed problems with my printer and the DVD Drive. The troubleshooter seemed to be able to fix the printer problem but the DVD issue still remains.

Also, I noticed, ever since I cleared the CMOS RAM, it seems that my printer driver has reverted back to an older driver.

I think I should probably reinstall the latest printer driver but I still don't know what to do about my DVD Drive and the sound issue?

zeronetwo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I found a loose USB connection that I believe was the cause of this sound problem I was having in Windows. Now I'm still left to figure out whats going on with my DVD Drive.

I've had it for a while and I'm guessing it may need to be replaced because I was having problems trying to burn a disc in WMP a few weeks ago. It would simply cause Windows Media Player to freeze and on a couple of occasions my entire computer. Don't know if that really has to do with the drive or the simple fact that WMP is so buggy to begin with but I don't see any other option based on what the troubleshooter said.

Any suggestions?