Is there any danger in underclocking

G

I have a BI440zx MB and it only takes up to 500mhz but
I cant find any in my local area 533 has a mutipyler of
8 and the 500 has a mutipyer of 7.5 will the 533 default
to 7.5 instead of 8.
I phoned intel and they said it could be unstable if it gets underclocked. Would be uderclocked or would it just
have a lower mutiplyer.
Any input is appreciated.

G

From what I know, your greatest danger will be the ridicule you will get from fellow geeks.

G

Let me put it a differeny way.
Intel chips are mutiplyer locked but if that mutipler isnt
availble then what happens does it screw up or does it work at a lower mutiplyer.
Is anybody knowlageable with this stuff or what.

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try reducing the voltage by little other than that underclocking is safe.
I've done it with my k6-2 500@450.. (damn stinkin board)

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thats the problem with overclocking....every second it runs overclocked...you risk CPU burn out. And why TF would you ever call intel about overclocking. That was pretty stupid in my mind.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Soul Reaper needs to read the post. This is his second error (the other being the cooling the pIII 600 that runs at 80 C and he says it's nothing). The post here Soul- is underclocking and the above temp is in celcius. Notice the "c"?

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

You say Im stupid LOOK IN THE MIRROR.
Its about under not over.
Intel markets everything at highest mhz that it is stable at so I figured lower wouldnt be a problem .
I would never phone about overclocking.

G

Thanks jg38141 I am glad there some people look at the topic and read the post. Maybe he just needs some more sleep.

simtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don’t let anyone fool you, underclocking can cause immediate catastrophic damage to your CPU and in some rare instances demagnetize all credit cards in a 10’ radius. This should only be done by a professional in a certified laboratory.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In not wery new CPUs that i work with (p2 233-450MHZ range) if you put ANY multiplyer other than specified it become 200 MHZ (66x3) . There is no way (as known to me) lowering speed beyond the specified can make harm (But if you have a firearms there is a danger that you may want to shoot your computer (-: )

TRENDING THREADS