Sign in with
Your question

USB mouse lit up and on but won't move.

Last response: in Windows 7
January 1, 2013 7:47:29 PM

Hello,
I have an issue with my USB mices, they don't work. The mouse cursor won't move an inch. It's lit up and the Steelseries driver "Engine" makes it very clear that the mouse is recognized by the computer. I can play around with the lights and the settings but the cursor won't move. I have been googling for hours and tried many fixes without success. I have tried: Tweaking the BIOS and the USB mouse support option, deleting different keys in regedit, deleting and reinstalling drivers.

I got the problem after I changed the PSU. The mouse would work but it stuttered forward and the movement wasn't smooth at all until it completely stopped moving. I have since switched back to my old PSU to no avail. I'm suspecting that there is a power issue, maybe a setting changed when I switched PSU. But I can't figure this one out myself. I need help with this issue.
Thanks in advance

More about : usb mouse lit move

a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 7:52:53 PM

What happens when you try a different mouse?
January 1, 2013 7:56:32 PM

I have used three other mices already.
Steelseries Sensei: same mouse, same result.
Zowie EC1: Is not recognized by the computer. This mouse doesn't use any specific drivers.
Roccat Kone[+]: lights up but doesn't move, same as Sensei.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 8:02:44 PM

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if it acts differently?

You can also try using a different user profile to see if it is somehow a profile-related issue.

In the bios, you might need to change the settingfor USB Legacy Support to on or off.
January 1, 2013 8:04:52 PM

danny2000 said:
Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if it acts differently?

You can also try using a different user profile to see if it is somehow a profile-related issue.

In the bios, you might need to change the settingfor USB Legacy Support to on or off.

1. I have tried that indeed, but I will retry.

2. I'll create a profile and try.

3. Okay going to try that too.
January 1, 2013 8:18:15 PM

There is an option in BIOS called "USB mouse support" It's off by default, and tweaking it hasn't made any difference, is it an option of importance?
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 8:31:01 PM

You tried it with it turn-on and it did not work?
I'm not certain what that one is, but it does seem to pertain....it might be for USB mouse support usage while inside the bios.
January 1, 2013 8:33:34 PM

None of the things you listed worked. Do you have any other ideas?
January 1, 2013 8:36:30 PM

danny2000 said:
You tried it with it turn-on and it did not work?
I'm not certain what that one is, but it does seem to pertain....it might be for USB mouse support usage while inside the bios.

It says to turn on the option if an USB mouse is connected. I'll turn it on and keep it that way.
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 8:43:35 PM

I'm assuming that you tried different USB ports.
January 1, 2013 8:44:10 PM

Holy moly. I went to the f8 menu when booting and pressed repair, so far the mouse is working flawlessely, no stuttering, just smooth moves!
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 8:56:36 PM

well, not sure which option fixed it at that point, but maybe the bios setting since the repair had not started yet.
January 1, 2013 8:59:50 PM

Really strange indeed. Let's see if the mouse works for real in windows. Not just in the repair menu.
January 1, 2013 9:01:47 PM

Okay. Mouse still doesn't work in windows...
January 1, 2013 9:11:15 PM

I'm performing a system restore. Let's see what happens.
January 1, 2013 9:55:48 PM

The system restore failed. I got an error and the restore cancelled.
I can't think of anything else but a clean reinstall of windows 7.
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 10:35:47 PM

well that's strange that the restore failed. It could just be that one restore-point.

However, what you might try if another restore fails is to delete the USB mouse and let Device Manager reinstall it. If that does not work, you could then delete the USB Controllers in Device Manager and let it redetect them.
January 1, 2013 11:11:10 PM

is it the same on all other USB ports when you plug it? is it on a 2.0 or 3.0 USB?

if on a USB 3.0 try to reinstall the drivers for the USB because i have the same problem before when i first had my PC built. the first time i plugged my CM Storm mouse on the USB 3.0 it wasnt moving at all but it has lights. tried checking the USB settings in the BIOS but still the same until i found out that there was a driver for the 3.0 USB.

but if it doesnt work with the 2.0 somethings wrong and i could'nt think what it is. Did you also installed anything before this occur?
January 1, 2013 11:15:14 PM

I succesfully restored the system to 22/12/12 and the mouse works. Thanks for the possible solutions!
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 11:17:13 PM

that's good. I would check to see if there any updated drivers for your usb ports as tech_twist suggested and found for their system.
January 5, 2013 3:24:47 AM

retalogy said:
I succesfully restored the system to 22/12/12 and the mouse works. Thanks for the possible solutions!

Good to hear. i think its from an update or a software you might have installed thats causing the problem thats why it worked after restoring.
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 4:02:50 PM

Nice. Let us know what software caused the issue if you want.
!