Monks as spellcasters

Man, I had a great hurthling monk going. found robes of travelling
+2+5, got an certain amulet that a certain dying somone would really
like as a random drop, saved puppy (also there were 2 spellbook shops
in the PC, finished off the bad druid when I thought I could take out
the crimelord at lvl 11 in mellee. Sigh, dead again. this guy was
cruising too, that sux! anyway, the two spellbook shops made me think
about monks and spellcasting. I had my Concentration and litercy up
pretty high (no 100) and I was having a hard time learning realluy low
level spells like light, is it because my Le was so low (10-11) or are
monks really bad at spells?

Batman? wrote:

> Man, I had a great hurthling monk going. found robes of travelling
> +2+5, got an certain amulet that a certain dying somone would really
> like as a random drop, saved puppy (also there were 2 spellbook shops
> in the PC, finished off the bad druid when I thought I could take out
> the crimelord at lvl 11 in mellee. Sigh, dead again. this guy was
> cruising too, that sux! anyway, the two spellbook shops made me think
> about monks and spellcasting. I had my Concentration and litercy up
> pretty high (no 100) and I was having a hard time learning realluy low
> level spells like light, is it because my Le was so low (10-11) or are
> monks really bad at spells?

No, they can be reasonable spellcasters. My current one has:

Burning Hands : 342, 8pp (Effectivity: +0)
Cure Critical Wounds: 388, 15pp (Effectivity: +0)
Cure Disease : 665, 8pp (Effectivity: +0)
Cure Light Wounds : 485, 5pp (Effectivity: +0)
Darkness : 527, 4pp (Effectivity: +0)
Destroy Undead : 416, 8pp (Effectivity: +0)
Farsight : 163, 17pp (Effectivity: +0)
Fireball : 358, 20pp (Effectivity: +0)
Frost Bolt : 342, 12pp (Effectivity: +0)
Greater Identify : 11, 189pp (Effectivity: +0)
Knock : 274, 12pp (Effectivity: +0)
Light : 547, 3pp (Effectivity: +2)
Magic Map : 374, 40pp (Effectivity: +0)
Magic Missile : 855, 8pp (Effectivity: +0)
Mystic Shovel : 220, 100pp (Effectivity: +0)
Remove Curse : 389, 50pp (Effectivity: +0)
Scare Monster : 578, 12pp (Effectivity: +0)
Slow Monster : 464, 7pp (Effectivity: +0)
Slow Poison : 554, 6pp (Effectivity: +0)
Stun Ray : 471, 8pp (Effectivity: +0)
Summon Monsters : 514, 30pp (Effectivity: +0)
Teleportation : 122, 22pp (Effectivity: +0)
Web : 396, 12pp (Effectivity: +0)

After doing the library. Not had any serious failed reading attempts.
He is level 20, all were learned with literacy and concentration at
100 (trained literacy reading scrolls over and over, used bows to
train concentration), and learning score of about 28 I think (could
have been higher, but I was using the Iron Crown of Havlor, rather
than the Crown of Science.

I think the problem was just your low learning score.

Stephen White wrote:

> No, they can be reasonable spellcasters. My current one has:
<snip>
> After doing the library. Not had any serious failed reading attempts.
> He is level 20, all were learned with literacy and concentration at
> 100 (trained literacy reading scrolls over and over, used bows to
> train concentration),

Training Concentration with bows? How? I don't remember hearing anything
about any way to train Concentration other than to regenerate PP while
having the skill, and I don't see how bows would help with that.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:34:16 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

> Stephen White wrote:
>
>> No, they can be reasonable spellcasters. My current one has:
> <snip>
>> After doing the library. Not had any serious failed reading attempts.
>> He is level 20, all were learned with literacy and concentration at
>> 100 (trained literacy reading scrolls over and over, used bows to
>> train concentration),
>
> Training Concentration with bows? How? I don't remember hearing anything
> about any way to train Concentration other than to regenerate PP while
> having the skill, and I don't see how bows would help with that.

Firing arrows trains concentration slightly. Nowhere near as much as
restoring PP though...