Gnomish priest with emerald dagger vs. a room of yellow &'s

I'm still playing my gnomish priest who was lucky to find some nice artifact
emeral dagger. I already tried taking on Keriax (at level 24 - was it too
early?) but got only badly confused, stat drained, corrupted (its bolts also
corrupt!) and my heap of 4 blessed SoCRs ignited from some bolt from it.
Having a few nasty corruptions and no way to get rid of them, I decided to
get out until the next Darknight (or for good - I'm not specifically aiming
at an ultra ending, just exploring the possibilities) and decided to ID scum
for wishes and SoCRs.
I found a room full of molochs on I27. Even though "Serpent's Bite" is not
penetrating, I decided to try it anyway - its critical hits should be good
enough. I found a few things:
1) Molochs can not be poisoned
2) Critical hits do help - A LOT! I have never "failed to hurt" a moloch.
3) It is entirely possible to kill molochs in melee only - if you use
"hit-and-run" and only hit them right after they've just moved.

I don't remember the name of the person in this group who encouraged using
the dagger, but now I am really thankful for the advice!

Regards,
Arkady.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:49:47 -0500, Arkady Zilberberg wrote:

> corrupt!) and my heap of 4 blessed SoCRs ignited from some bolt from it.

It's a good habit to drop your SoCR in some safe place before tough
combat. I usually do it before descending to blue dragon caves as their
lightnings are very destructive, to say the least.

> 1) Molochs can not be poisoned

Aw.

> 2) Critical hits do help - A LOT! I have never "failed to hurt" a moloch.

So, this is what critical hits help with.

> 3) It is entirely possible to kill molochs in melee only - if you use
> "hit-and-run" and only hit them right after they've just moved.

Who said it wasn't? I was killing molochs with ease with my darven
barbarian who was wielding Vanquisher :) (he died at 50th level,
though, shame).

kevino

Distinguished
May 30, 2003

16/02/2005, Arkady Zilberberg wrote:
(Spoily advice follows too:)

>I'm still playing my gnomish priest who was lucky to find some nice
artifact
>emeral dagger. I already tried taking on Keriax (at level 24 - was it
too
>early?) but got only badly confused, stat drained, corrupted (its
bolts also
>corrupt!) and my heap of 4 blessed SoCRs ignited from some bolt from
it.

I've taken down Keriax at ~L20. However, you NEED confusion resistance
(RoMS, RoTCM, HoMS) and probably blessed Dragon Slaying ammo (I think
I've done it with six arrows and controlled, on-demand teleportation).
You do NOT want to be meleeing him anything like this early, except
maybe if you're (weapon)smithed to insane DV/PV, with something like
Wyrmlance or Vanquisher.

>Having a few nasty corruptions and no way to get rid of them, I
decided to
>get out until the next Darknight (or for good - I'm not specifically
aiming
>at an ultra ending, just exploring the possibilities) and decided to
ID scum
>for wishes and SoCRs.
You probably know this, but if you can switch to neutral there's a fair
chance of SoCRs from the Dwarvish Mystic. You might also try getting
the Weird Tome. Check out the Guidebook if you don't know what I'm
talking about.

- Kevin

"KevinO" <dthspell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 16/02/2005, Arkady Zilberberg wrote:
> (Spoily advice follows too:)

> You probably know this, but if you can switch to neutral there's a fair
> chance of SoCRs from the Dwarvish Mystic. You might also try getting
> the Weird Tome. Check out the Guidebook if you don't know what I'm
> talking about.
Yes, I'm aware of Dwarwish Mystic, but I'm yet to find ANYTHING to control
teleportation (I know about the blink dogs - they've never left a corpse for
me so far).
On the bright side, my ID dive finally paid off - found a RoDS there and
removed a few very nasty corruptions - unholy aura, hooves, scales, apish
etc. - but not before suddenly remembering my early ancestors quite a few
times :(.

kevino

Distinguished
May 30, 2003

When you encounter a Blink Dog that should be guranteed teleportation.

..
..
..

(This assumes you're not in the very early game and you're capable of
taking down a swarm of Blinkies)
Name the Blink Dog as soon as you see him, thereby keeping track of
him. Then switch to coward and wait for him to summon. Rinse and
repeat. You can keep fleeing from all the blinkies until some of the
others summon if you like, but be careful, it is possible to summon a
very inconvinient number of them, especially with the rate monsters
gain experience in the current version.

Some people believe that injured Blinkies summon more readily. I don't
know whether this is true or not, but if you want to give it a go, even
fairly buff characters can whack them with a Large Ration on Coward to
wound without killing.