Enabling CPU Level 1 Cache makes erros aplenty!

G

I cannot run windows, or any OS for that matter, without my CPU Level 1 cache disabled in BIOS. This means that everything runs HORRIBLY slow...I mean 486 era slow...hehe. It took more than 3 hours to fully install windows 98. As soon as I enable it, windows errors out at splash screen and will not even come close to fully loading Windows (have tried both 98 and 2000). My guess is that the CPU is faulty somehow, because isn't that where the Level 1 Cache is? Does this mean that it's a bad chip and I have to send it back for an exchange? I looked at the CPU itself and it doesn't seem to be damaged/chipped anywhere. Luckily I'm still in the 30 day warranty, but the aggravation it's given me these last few weeks has been far and away the most I've ever felt while trying to set up a system. ACK! Ah well...hopefully it is in fact the CPU, because if it does in fact work correctly for the supplier, they'll charge me 35 bucks, send me the same chip back, and tell me where to stick it.

System specs:
1GHZ Athlon T-bird
ASUS A7V motherboard
128mb PC-133 RAM
32mb TnT2 video card
Soundblaster LIVE audio card

G

Never heard of this problem with a T-Bird I would
definetly send the cpu back. Did you go to the AMD site
and go to a tech forum. I would not have waited so long.
As soon as you noticed its only with the level 1 cache
I would have gone to AMD site right away.
Go to the AMD site and see if you can return it to them
They are more likely to take the problem seriously.

G

What's the addy for the AMD tech forum? I tried AMD.com, but couldn't find any forums, only email. Also, I only just pinpointed the cache thing this morning, and I already have the CPU in the package and ready to ship back. I didn't waste much time, let me tell ya. I'm just pissed that it came to this, but ah well. [-peep-] happens. Anybody else have any opinions?

G

Is the chip oem or boxed.
If its a boxed chip you have 3 years on the warrenty through AMD if its oem it has no warrenty through AMD.
If its oem get your money back and buy a boxed CPU and have a good warrenty an extra 40 bucks and no worries.
Tbird 1 Ghz Boxed 289.00at at ibuyer.net.
OH and you were quick on the draw if you found out this morning.

G

It's boxed luckily. Unfortunately the merchant that I purchased it from (Bzboyz.com) just sent it in an anti-static baggy inside my motherboard box, so I'm not sure exactly how I'd send it to AMD. I think I'm going to try Bzboyz and see what comes of that. Worst that'll happen is they'll say it's functioning normally which it most definitely is not and they'll try to stick me with the 35 dollar charge and I'll just send it to AMD instead. Keep yer fingers crossed for me lads!

G

If you have any problems with them tell them you need the origanal packaging for manufacture warrentiy reasons.
And insist on it.
The box the cpu was shipped in and do you have the origanl heatsink and fan that came with it also important.
Good Luck .
All 8 fingers , 2thumbs and 10 toes crossed HAHAHAHA!!

G

I have the original fan and heatsink that was sent with it, however I was going to send that back to Bzboyz along with the CPU in order to trade it up for a more heavy duty heatsink and ball bearing fan. Should I keep the heatsink/fan after all for AMD should I need the manufacturer warranty? I wouldn't see why...but I'll take your word for it.

G

This comes from AMDs site .
Conformation that the product to wich you are inquiring is a retail Process in a box ( with heatsink and fan attached)
and not a non boxed product.
If you return it for AMD warrenty you have to return everything box,cpu,heatsink&fan as well as the certificate
of authentisity. So make sure you get everything that was in the box as well as the box itself and save the origanal
heatsink and fan combo. Buy a new one for better cooling but keep origanal.
As well the MOBO has to be AMD Certifiable. So look on the list to see if its on it ( your MOBO )

http://www.amd.com/support/pib.html