question on experience requirements

Hi, all. This is quite likely an obvious question to most, but i
don't think it contains spoilers.

How does the game calculate the experience needed to advance in level?

Apart from the fact that trolls require far more experience, and that
race and class are involved, as are a couple of talents that nobody
uses, i'm clueless.

While i'm asking, which combination of race/class will advance in
level fastest? Is there anywhere that i can find a list of race/class
modifiers to figure out which types of character advance faster?
10 answers Last reply
More about question experience requirements
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    ?

    ?

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:52:04 -0800, Avatar wrote:

    > Hi, all. This is quite likely an obvious question to most, but i
    > don't think it contains spoilers.
    >
    > How does the game calculate the experience needed to advance in level?
    >
    > Apart from the fact that trolls require far more experience, and that
    > race and class are involved, as are a couple of talents that nobody
    > uses, i'm clueless.
    >
    > While i'm asking, which combination of race/class will advance in
    > level fastest? Is there anywhere that i can find a list of race/class
    > modifiers to figure out which types of character advance faster?

    There's some relationship between good starting stats and needing slightly
    more experience, I think.

    Although not your actual question, the following is related:
    Characters earn experience in proportion to their speed. The Raven
    starsign increases experience needed by 10%. If a characters increases
    his or her speed during the game, see the experience earned changes
    proportionally.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Avatar wrote:
    > Hi, all. This is quite likely an obvious question to most, but i
    > don't think it contains spoilers.
    >
    > How does the game calculate the experience needed to advance in level?
    >
    > Apart from the fact that trolls require far more experience, and that
    > race and class are involved, as are a couple of talents that nobody
    > uses, i'm clueless.
    >
    > While i'm asking, which combination of race/class will advance in
    > level fastest? Is there anywhere that i can find a list of race/class
    > modifiers to figure out which types of character advance faster?

    This got posted a while back now, I'm afraid I can't recall who by:

    From least experience required to most -

    Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
    (Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
    Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin), Ranger,
    Barbarian.

    Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
    Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.

    So a Troll or Dwarf Barbarian would level slowly, a Gnomish Farmer fast.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

    > From least experience required to most -
    >
    > Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
    > (Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
    > Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin), Ranger,
    > Barbarian.
    >
    > Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
    > Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.

    Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
    cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
    blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
    I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.

    koctyxa

    --
    ga³êzie nagich drzew u¶miechaj± siê zalotnie
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    koctyxa wrote:
    > On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

    >> From least experience required to most -
    >>
    >>Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
    >>(Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
    >>Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin), Ranger,
    >>Barbarian.
    >>
    >>Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
    >>Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.
    >

    > Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
    > cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
    > blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
    > I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.

    Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
    speed. In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
    make the game unbalanced. It isn't written anywhere that level 50 should
    be easily reachable.

    Malte
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Malte Helmert wrote:
    > koctyxa wrote:
    >
    >> On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

    >>> From least experience required to most -
    >>>
    >>> Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
    >>> (Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
    >>> Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin),
    >>> Ranger, Barbarian.
    >>>
    >>> Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
    >>> Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.

    Fairly accurate, few corrections from my memory...
    Drakelings are actually a bit worse than dwarves, gnomes = humans =
    hurtlings. I think Farmers = Merchants = healers, but I'm not sure
    there. Barbarians are about 2.5 times the next highest (which was monk
    and paladin tied IIRC, not ranger), so they're the worst class for exp
    by far.

    >> Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
    >> cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
    >> blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions I
    >> didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.
    >

    > Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
    > speed. In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
    > make the game unbalanced. It isn't written anywhere that level 50
    > should be easily reachable.

    Yeah, my hurtling healer win (incredibly fast leveler, but gnomish
    monk/cup is pretty quick too) made it to level 50 easily enough, and his
    speed was 160+ since level 22 or so :P I slowed myself down against the
    Cat Lord, Ancient Stone Beast, and Great Water Dragon, but those were
    the only things I went out of my way to get exp from really. Even
    without slowing myself I would've made it to level 50 by D:50, and my
    final speed was about 200 :P
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:
    > koctyxa wrote:
    > > On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    > > Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
    > > cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
    > > blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
    > > I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.
    >
    > Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
    > speed. In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
    > make the game unbalanced. It isn't written anywhere that level 50
    > should be easily reachable.

    Indeed. And level 35 is enough for most tasks. Of my four winners (all
    normal endings, obviously), three were only level 36 when entering
    D:50, and one was only level 36 when *leaving* D:50 victorious [1] (I
    finally got the RCT delivered at about D:35 on the way back up ... a
    little late). I've only ever had one level 50 character, and that's
    because I hung around clearing D:50 with my archer just because I
    wanted to see what the L50 class power was really like (very nice, for
    those who've never seen it in action...)

    [1] Level 31 when they entered, which was really too low - I should
    have gone and done something else first - but fortunately someone on
    D:50 dropped a RoDS and I was able to take the wands route out...

    --
    Chris
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 2005-02-20, Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    > koctyxa wrote:
    >> On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

    >> Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
    >> cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
    >> blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
    >> I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.
    >
    > Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
    > speed.

    Yes, monks have athletics. And a lot of talents to spare.

    > In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
    > make the game unbalanced.

    So what do I have to do to reach 50? There were only two dragons
    left. I did slow down myself while killing the snake and the ancient
    stone beast, but I wasn't bold enough to slow myself against archmage
    and Sssraxxxoxx (or whatever its name is). Oh, and my gnome was
    seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
    UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
    I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.

    > It isn't written anywhere that level 50 should be easily reachable.

    For monk level 25 is enough. BTW, Filk had said to me
    "Imaveryhappyquickling", but he didn't want the book.

    koctyxa

    --
    ga³êzie nagich drzew u¶miechaj± siê zalotnie
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Thanks for the info.

    Spoily, i suppose.

    Life
    is
    but
    walking
    shadow,
    poor
    player
    who
    struts
    and
    frets
    his
    hour
    upon
    the
    stage
    before
    getting
    YASD

    > Oh, and my gnome was
    > seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
    > UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
    > I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.

    I don't understand this bit. What affects do the background messages
    have on the character? Do they effect stats (including luck)?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:41:23 -0800, Avatar wrote:

    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Spoily, i suppose.
    >
    > Life
    > is
    > but
    > walking
    > shadow,
    > poor
    > player
    > who
    > struts
    > and
    > frets
    > his
    > hour
    > upon
    > the
    > stage
    > before
    > getting
    > YASD
    >
    >> Oh, and my gnome was
    >> seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
    >> UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
    >> I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.
    >>

    > I don't understand this bit. What affects do the background messages
    > have on the character? Do they effect stats (including luck)?

    Different background stories have different stats, in one form or another.
    For example, seriously ill probably has an effect on toughness.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 2005-02-22, Avatar <avatar5@di-ve.com> wrote:
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Spoily, i suppose.
    >
    > Life
    > is
    > but
    > walking
    > shadow,
    > poor
    > player
    > who
    > struts
    > and
    > frets
    > his
    > hour
    > upon
    > the
    > stage
    > before
    > getting
    > YASD
    >
    >> Oh, and my gnome was
    >> seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
    >> UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
    >> I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.
    >>

    > I don't understand this bit. What affects do the background messages
    > have on the character? Do they effect stats (including luck)?

    Low starting stats (sum of them or just Le) = lower exp. requirements.

    koctyxa

Games Video Games