question on experience requirements

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 20, 2005 6:52:04 AM

Hi, all. This is quite likely an obvious question to most, but i
don't think it contains spoilers.

How does the game calculate the experience needed to advance in level?

Apart from the fact that trolls require far more experience, and that
race and class are involved, as are a couple of talents that nobody
uses, i'm clueless.

While i'm asking, which combination of race/class will advance in
level fastest? Is there anywhere that i can find a list of race/class
modifiers to figure out which types of character advance faster?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:06:19 PM

?

?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:52:04 -0800, Avatar wrote:

> Hi, all. This is quite likely an obvious question to most, but i
> don't think it contains spoilers.
>
> How does the game calculate the experience needed to advance in level?
>
> Apart from the fact that trolls require far more experience, and that
> race and class are involved, as are a couple of talents that nobody
> uses, i'm clueless.
>
> While i'm asking, which combination of race/class will advance in
> level fastest? Is there anywhere that i can find a list of race/class
> modifiers to figure out which types of character advance faster?

There's some relationship between good starting stats and needing slightly
more experience, I think.

Although not your actual question, the following is related:
Characters earn experience in proportion to their speed. The Raven
starsign increases experience needed by 10%. If a characters increases
his or her speed during the game, see the experience earned changes
proportionally.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:46:06 PM

Avatar wrote:
> Hi, all. This is quite likely an obvious question to most, but i
> don't think it contains spoilers.
>
> How does the game calculate the experience needed to advance in level?
>
> Apart from the fact that trolls require far more experience, and that
> race and class are involved, as are a couple of talents that nobody
> uses, i'm clueless.
>
> While i'm asking, which combination of race/class will advance in
> level fastest? Is there anywhere that i can find a list of race/class
> modifiers to figure out which types of character advance faster?

This got posted a while back now, I'm afraid I can't recall who by:

From least experience required to most -

Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
(Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin), Ranger,
Barbarian.

Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.

So a Troll or Dwarf Barbarian would level slowly, a Gnomish Farmer fast.
February 20, 2005 6:07:46 PM

On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

> From least experience required to most -
>
> Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
> (Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
> Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin), Ranger,
> Barbarian.
>
> Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
> Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.

Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.

koctyxa

--
ga³êzie nagich drzew u¶miechaj± siê zalotnie
Anonymous

koctyxa wrote:
> On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

>> From least experience required to most -
>>
>>Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
>>(Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
>>Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin), Ranger,
>>Barbarian.
>>
>>Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
>>Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.
>

> Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
> cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
> blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
> I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.

Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
speed. In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
make the game unbalanced. It isn't written anywhere that level 50 should
be easily reachable.

Malte
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:21:21 AM

Malte Helmert wrote:
> koctyxa wrote:
>
>> On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

>>> From least experience required to most -
>>>
>>> Farmer, Merchant, Wizard, (Priest, Healer), (Archer, Assassin),
>>> (Thief, Beastfighter), (Elementalist, Necromancer), (Druid,
>>> Mindcrafter), (Bard, Weaponsmith), Fighter, (Monk, Paladin),
>>> Ranger, Barbarian.
>>>
>>> Gnome, Hurthling, Human, High Elf, (Orc, Gray Elf), Dark Elf,
>>> Drakeling, Dwarf, Troll.

Fairly accurate, few corrections from my memory...
Drakelings are actually a bit worse than dwarves, gnomes = humans =
hurtlings. I think Farmers = Merchants = healers, but I'm not sure
there. Barbarians are about 2.5 times the next highest (which was monk
and paladin tied IIRC, not ranger), so they're the worst class for exp
by far.

>> Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
>> cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
>> blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions I
>> didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.
>

> Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
> speed. In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
> make the game unbalanced. It isn't written anywhere that level 50
> should be easily reachable.

Yeah, my hurtling healer win (incredibly fast leveler, but gnomish
monk/cup is pretty quick too) made it to level 50 easily enough, and his
speed was 160+ since level 22 or so :p  I slowed myself down against the
Cat Lord, Ancient Stone Beast, and Great Water Dragon, but those were
the only things I went out of my way to get exp from really. Even
without slowing myself I would've made it to level 50 by D:50, and my
final speed was about 200 :p
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:39:16 PM

Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:
> koctyxa wrote:
> > On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
> > Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
> > cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
> > blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
> > I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.
>
> Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
> speed. In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
> make the game unbalanced. It isn't written anywhere that level 50
> should be easily reachable.

Indeed. And level 35 is enough for most tasks. Of my four winners (all
normal endings, obviously), three were only level 36 when entering
D:50, and one was only level 36 when *leaving* D:50 victorious [1] (I
finally got the RCT delivered at about D:35 on the way back up ... a
little late). I've only ever had one level 50 character, and that's
because I hung around clearing D:50 with my archer just because I
wanted to see what the L50 class power was really like (very nice, for
those who've never seen it in action...)

[1] Level 31 when they entered, which was really too low - I should
have gone and done something else first - but fortunately someone on
D:50 dropped a RoDS and I was able to take the wands route out...

--
Chris
Anonymous

On 2005-02-20, Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> koctyxa wrote:
>> On 2005-02-20, Stephen White <fake_email_address@fake_domain.com> wrote:

>> Well, ADoM 1.1.1 is unbalanced: I've just end the game with
>> cup-born gnomish monk, who after doing maze, rift and slaying big
>> blue W descended to D50 at exp. level 35. In former versions
>> I didn't have problems with reaching max exp. level.
>
> Without knowing more, I'd assume that you had a higher-than average
> speed.

Yes, monks have athletics. And a lot of talents to spare.

> In any case, the fact that you only reached level 35 does not
> make the game unbalanced.

So what do I have to do to reach 50? There were only two dragons
left. I did slow down myself while killing the snake and the ancient
stone beast, but I wasn't bold enough to slow myself against archmage
and Sssraxxxoxx (or whatever its name is). Oh, and my gnome was
seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.

> It isn't written anywhere that level 50 should be easily reachable.

For monk level 25 is enough. BTW, Filk had said to me
"Imaveryhappyquickling", but he didn't want the book.

koctyxa

--
ga³êzie nagich drzew u¶miechaj± siê zalotnie
February 22, 2005 5:41:23 AM

Thanks for the info.

Spoily, i suppose.

Life
is
but
walking
shadow,
poor
player
who
struts
and
frets
his
hour
upon
the
stage
before
getting
YASD

> Oh, and my gnome was
> seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
> UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
> I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.

I don't understand this bit. What affects do the background messages
have on the character? Do they effect stats (including luck)?
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:44:09 AM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:41:23 -0800, Avatar wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Spoily, i suppose.
>
> Life
> is
> but
> walking
> shadow,
> poor
> player
> who
> struts
> and
> frets
> his
> hour
> upon
> the
> stage
> before
> getting
> YASD
>
>> Oh, and my gnome was
>> seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
>> UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
>> I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.
>>

> I don't understand this bit. What affects do the background messages
> have on the character? Do they effect stats (including luck)?

Different background stories have different stats, in one form or another.
For example, seriously ill probably has an effect on toughness.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:58:08 PM

On 2005-02-22, Avatar <avatar5@di-ve.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Spoily, i suppose.
>
> Life
> is
> but
> walking
> shadow,
> poor
> player
> who
> struts
> and
> frets
> his
> hour
> upon
> the
> stage
> before
> getting
> YASD
>
>> Oh, and my gnome was
>> seriously ill in her childhood. So basicly, if I'd like to make an
>> UNE, the only way was ID scumming. It makes UNE even more boring.
>> I still dare to claim that in earlier versions it was better.
>>

> I don't understand this bit. What affects do the background messages
> have on the character? Do they effect stats (including luck)?

Low starting stats (sum of them or just Le) = lower exp. requirements.

koctyxa
!