Need help finding a monitor

wasabiman321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hey just scouting out for a good 23~ inch monitor for a future build I've got planned. Going to be gaming but also alot of web browsing, youtube.

I went through alot of research seeing if IPS would be a viable option but in the end I gave in and I think a TN panel will have to do since they have lower latencies and they don't have a grainy matte finish on the screen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001552 currently looking at this, reasonable price, only thing is it only has HDMI which isn't bad or anything to be honest. No reviews which is annoying. Basically I wanted great quality in the colors so IPS panels seemed good and Dell has a great priced 23 incher that has great reviews. Frankly I'm kinda torn, if any of you are pseudo experts for monitors and such I would greatly appreciate some input here. I'm not a pro gamer so response time isn't the MOST important, but I do game with FPSs so ghosting would suck...

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
There are load of good 23 inchers on the market, but the Asus PA238Q tends to destroy most of whats under £300, including dell's stuff. you can get it for £180-210 ($250-300)
Response is better than with TN and matte is less reflective. Techradar UK adore this panel.
There are a few cheaper options but those tend to have bad quality build.

unless you buy a piece of crap from an unknown manufacturer you shouldnt have any issues with response times. my old viewsonic has a maximum response time of 16ms (or so says its own manual) which is probably overestimated (which is a good thing). 16ms is around the cutoff point for 60hz video signal before you start having issues. with this said i've played virtually every game through it and i've never EVER had issues with response times. no ghosting or other issues and the monitor still works perfect at 8+ years of age. it is an 8bit ips and with an anti glare coating and i wouldnt trade it for anything else than another ips. you can get ips panels with a subdued anti glare coating. mine is hardly visable, only the colors are slightly less vibrant. gloss coatings are horrible since they direct any glare directly into your eyes. sure they may look nice but user beware!

tn panels often have horrible viewing angles. even a few degrees can matter. some coatings on them help with this but they still arent great. off center viewing can result in color shifting. they are a budget choice though if you are okay with the negatives. most gamers do not seem to care (or do not know better). 120hz tn panels arent the do-all end-all for games.

all i can say is to not listen to people who rave about a product because they think they are pro gamers. most of them only repeat what they are told and havent done any research into the products they tout as the best. for instance: most will say that wireless mice and keyboards fail but yet i used to always be in the top 1 or 2 places in fps matches at lan parties or at least in the top 5 online on such devices. the .01 second or less delay isnt going to make up for a lack of skill.

do what you wish... just letting you be aware.

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I agree, some of what is available is a rip off, so look at reviews. I have just had really good experiences with the Asus, and my friend has a dell 24inch ips that he got the same time as me, and was underwhelmed at the visuals compared to the Asus. You could look at VA, which has better contrast than even ips, but suffers from severe ghosting and TN colours. Anyway, most ips models are decent so you should be safe (you will regret a gloss coating though!) Beware backlight glow on the sides for ips but not a big issue.
Here are a few decent ones ips:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236201&Tpk=ASus%20pa238q
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116527&Tpk=Viewsonic%20VX2336s
or the AOC i2352VH
Just recommending, so have a look around if none suit you.

wasabiman321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Cool thanks for the informative replies so far, the Asus PA238Q seems to really fit well, so for now I'll keep that monitor in mind.

wasabiman321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
http://www.asus.com/Display/IPS_Monitors/VS239H/#specifications Actually I found this and kinda would like some feedback on how this compares to the PA model, this one does lack an adjustable stand but it looks like it kinda works with my desk.

EDIT: ok basically it seems like Asus has 3 IPS 23" models out there that are all around 200-300$, can't really discern many differences being a novice at display stuff so anyone who has some insight into this would be great!!!!
The three models being the ML239H, the VS239H and the PA238Q

i take it that the resolutions are the same and that they all use the same type of ips panel? (there are 4 types).

is there a difference in backlight type?

is there a difference in rear port connections, type of stand, etc?

is there a difference in anti glare coating?

etc...

little things such as this can easily make a difference between models. try to find out which is the better series of products... sort of like how viewsonic has their low end value series as "va" and the professional level products as "vp".... perhaps there is some correlation to how asus names their products... look into it.... and look at the specs to see what doesnt match up.