Slooooow startup

G

System
ASUS A7V, AMD 800 => 1000, Maxtor 20.4 UDMA 100 7200rpm, Cube PC133 128MB, LG CD 16x, generic floppy, Asus 3300 nvidia 128, Win98, all original drivers supplied with mobo, no problems generally, but please read...

Not exactly a major problem, but maybe someone knows the solution. On power up, after the initial system information, the screen stays black, with no shown activity of the system, noise or led activity, for about 20 seconds. Then a cursor flashes, and the OS boots up. I'm guessing the system is scanning the ports, or maybe its because I have my CD ROM connected with a separate lead instead of the same one as the HD (this is better for performance, right?). Or maybe its the promise UDMA100 stuff...at 66 it booted fast (my bro's system, virtually the same). Or maybe its because I didn't install the 4 in 1 drivers first (err...I did them last...they should have said in the manual!)

maybe
maybe
maybe...

Anyone know what it is?

THANKS Y'AAAAALL

PEACE.
DESIGN TEAM.

HEY LTJ, do you love Bukem? Are you a junglist? If you don't know what the hell I'm talkin'bout, don't worry!

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Let's see:

Do you have a nic or modem? How about a sound card?

Well I had an SBlive and a Nic and the combo gave me a 3 min. + startup. How do ya like that!!!

We'll in your bios you can disable your com ports (if not in use) and this should speed things up.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

I have a network card, and an external modem...I guess maybe it is the network card, but I seem to remember that it was slow even before I put that in (but maybe not). Still, after hearing about your 3 mins + I dont feel so bad about my wait. I'll try the com ports, see what it does...

Thanks for your help!